PDA

View Full Version : problems installing windows 10

percyporter
01-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I installed W10 on my HP 6730b laptop, it is about 7 years old and came installed with Vista, when I registered Microsoft sent me a free update for W7 which I installed and have run ever since with minimal problems.

I Installed W10 after a lot of thought being one of those who believe there is no such thing as a free lunch, only to find as the days progressed I was losing access to more and more programs. Currently I have got no access the the main menu or the search facility, I can only access programs for which I have a short cut on the desktop and have no access to the facility which I have been told I can use to do a "roll back". I also find that some of the characters on the keyboard have "moved".
I am also unable to shut the computer down, when I do it simply restarts and I have to switch the power of to close it down.

I do have access to the internet (obviously) and to e-mail but that is about all, video on line drops out after about 10 minutes running and I am unable to run DVDs' which normally play automatically when the disk is inserted.

I have sought advice from HP who say the laptop is to old? to run W10, one of our local IT experts told me that as the program had been installed for over 30 days it can't be uninstalled, while a member of the staff at one of our local electronic retailers suggested that was not true as she had uninstalled W10 on her computer after some months.

I must confess I am looking for an excuse to update but would rather stick with what I have for the time being so is there and easy/cheap fix fro my problem?

Your input, but not to complicated, would be appreciated.

Alan

wainuitech
01-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Basically two options. Both the same really ;)

Save any data that you may have if you haven't already, if you are unable to save it due to not being able to open folders, there's ways around that.

BUT basically wipe the Drive and either reinstall W7 with the Key you had at the time, OR wipe the drive and install Windows 10 from Fresh. You wont need a license key as the hardware is already registered with MS, at the point it asks for keys skip it and select do this later - once it installs you may need to reinstall drivers, but it will activate.

If you dont have the media for W10 you can get it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Age is not always important, just had to do a complete fresh install today, a 2 year old Laptop with W8.1, total screw-up, wouldn't boot after the W10 upgrade, wiped the drive clean, installed w10 fresh now runs smooooooooooooooth as silk :)

dugimodo
02-11-2015, 07:32 AM
I just had a similar problem losing access to the start menu. In my case it just needed to be restarted so an update could be completed, but that was slightly tricky without access to the power options. A ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the power button (bottom right)then a restart sorted it out. I had previously tried just using the power button but that puts mine into sleep mode and doesn't turn it off so it didn't help.

As far as DVD playback goes MS removed that as a default function so you need to install another player. VLC does the job for me. And the keyboard is probably set to the UK version or something which has a few different buttons in a few different places, try setting it back to a US keyboard