PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with my fibre connection or is it my computer?

undiejuice
24-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Hi again,

Yesterday I got my fiber installation done. This morning sometime after 3 , I thought I'd try downloading some Gb files. (4.8 the minimum) This is what I noticed:

When loading a basic YouTube page, the buffering icon keeps loading constantly, taking at least 2-3 minutes before it loads up and I can start watching videos. However, video stops and starts for every second while loading........

Loading a basic Google page (home page) is ..........constantly loading...........and then more or less gives up ending with a blank page

Yet downloading a 4.8gb file, it was still downloading when I got up at 6:45

Attempting to download another file from dream spark, this time it said 14 minutes, but 30mins has gone past.

Yesterday too, a 40mb defragmentation program, took 12 minutes to download.

Are there any other factors I need to consider that might be contributing to this slow down?

Cheers

wainuitech
24-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Whats a speed test show ?

Also if you have another computer or device to attach to the Router is that the same ?

Sorting out where the problem actually is will be a start to getting it fixed. Work backwards from the Computer.

undiejuice
24-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Hiya,

Whats a speed test show ?
Also if you have another computer or device to attach to the Router is that the same ?

Sorting out where the problem actually is will be a start to getting it fixed. Work backwards from the Computer.

Is this the tool to find out the right speed? I'm not sure.
I have Spark modem (black) and a (Huawei Fibre unit) The black one was for the broadband package and the Huawei is part of the fibre connection package. I have to use both devices for me to use fibre according to the contractor. I have four CAT5E cables at the back of the black modem device, including the cable that came with the box. I think that one is Cat5E as well.
Do you think because I have a CAT5E network, that this is whats causing the problem?
Cheers.

linw
24-10-2015, 02:18 PM
This is not right so you need to get back to Spark. No one here can fix this.

What plan are you supposed to be on? 35dn and 13up is very odd.

wainuitech
24-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Do you think because I have a CAT5E network, that this is whats causing the problem? Nope. Cat5 can carry 100 Mbps where as Cat5E can handle 1000 Mbps, the only bottle necks will be Modems, routers, Switches etc.

Who set it up ? It should be like this :

dugimodo
24-10-2015, 05:47 PM
I've seen a few similar posts around the place which makes me nervous about adopting fibre, your speed test is good and exceeds what you are paying for (assuming it's a 30/10 plan?) but actual real world performance is poor. I have heard other reports of the same thing but I don't know what the solution is. You need to talk to your ISP as that's unacceptable, either there's some kind of configuration issue somewhere or the backhaul capacity is not up to the job (i.e. the ISP doesn't have enough bandwidth to go around).
I've even heard 1 guy say they went back to VDSL as it was far superior to what they were getting on fibre. I have no Idea whay that should be the case as it makes no sense.

Nope. Cat5 can carry 100 Mbps where as Cat5E can handle 1000 Mbps, the only bottle necks will be Modems, routers, Switches etc.

Who set it up ? It should be like this :

I agree regarding the bottlenecks but as to the difference between CAT5 & 5E not true, CAT5 is just as good at 1000 Mbps as CAT5E in most circumstances and is rated to carry it. CAT5E is a slightly improved standard that supersedes CAT5 and is a bit bit better at noise and crosstalk.

People get hung up on what cable types they are using when in fact it almost never matters. CAT5, 5E, & CAT6 all perform the same in a typical home scenario. Where it starts to make a difference is when you have a large quantity of cables in a bundle or are nearing the 100M section limit that all 3 cable standards specify. That normally only happens in a large building or a commercial operation. Most house wiring is under 20M and generally there are only 1-2 cables to each location. This is so far inside the specs as to make them almost irrelevant. Even CAT3 has a chance to work at 1000Mbps at that distance (although I wouldn't try that). The improvements were necessary for worst case scenarios, home Ethernet rarely needs them.

Sorry pet peeve, CAT 5 works just fine for a Gb Ethernet network.

wainuitech
24-10-2015, 06:00 PM
If you work off the principle that Cat5e Is better you cant go wrong.

Sorry pet peeve, CAT 5 works just fine for a Gb Ethernet network. Wanna bet :) I have cat5 Here, and distance does matter. If I plug in a PC in the Office I can get the full speed, plug the same PC into the workshop, and the only difference is the distance, there's a speed drop (no switches or other bottle necks as they are by-passed). Not really enough to worry about but it is slightly slower.

pctek
25-10-2015, 07:13 AM
I have cat5 Here, and distance does matter.

Maximum distance is 100 metres, including end connections.

wainuitech
25-10-2015, 11:26 AM
The cabling (cat5E) as asked in this thread is not the problem. Its either setup incorrectly, a slow/bad connection someplace or possibly faulty equipment / Service from Spark. The internal cabling is more than capable of carrying faster.

undiejuice
29-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Thanks everyone. Some really useful information here!!!

I am glad that I do not need to do something with my CAT5E network. I was concerned about that. I might give Spark a call after all. Just thought I'd give this Fibre business some time to resolves itself. The situation has slightly improved (ONLY MINOR), however I DO NOT see any REAL difference compared to my previous ADSL plan with Spark. One thing I'll double check is what fibre plan we are on at the moment and ask Mum to double check. I remember reading a previous post regarding that speed may be a factor and this could be with the speed plan currently using.......eg. Fibre 30 or Fibre100

pctek
29-10-2015, 07:09 AM
The situation has slightly improved (ONLY MINOR), however I DO NOT see any REAL difference compared to my previous ADSL plan with Spark. I remember reading a previous post regarding that speed may be a factor and this could be with the speed plan currently using.......eg. Fibre 30 or Fibre100

yep, can't see the point of the low speed fibre plan, add in traffic and other factors and it could be a case of why bother.

Who saw Fair Go last night, the guys broadband was rubbish.

To be fair, he didn't let Spark look into it first. But as they say, you never know until after you have signed up.

wainuitech
29-10-2015, 08:20 AM
yep, can't see the point of the low speed fibre plan, add in traffic and other factors and it could be a case of why bother.

Who saw Fair Go last night, the guys broadband was rubbish.

To be fair, he didn't let Spark look into it first. But as they say, you never know until after you have signed up. Yep watched Fairgo :thumbs:-- about time someone actually got something done, theres to many people not getting what is advertised.

Anyway -- Its a pity The guy did try to talk / complain to Spark, via several managers, BUT only after he had changed back to Snap and got a invoice from Spark.

The show /Clip in case anyone wants to see it. :) http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/broadband-speeds-video-6408263

undiejuice
29-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys for the link.

Do you think its strange when I could be 1- 2 meters from the actual fiber-modem unit and the internet connection is limited?

What I mean is, I sometimes sit outside on the deck using my laptop wirelessly only a few metres from the unit and I have to put up with this type of problem? I thought the closer you are in within range of the unit, the stronger the signal would be, and the further away you are your connection would be limited. The only thing separating me and the fibre modem unit is the sliding door and curtain. Maybe it could be that old tape deck I listen to the radio with OR the ADSL unit perhaps? Any ideas why I might be experiencing this?

Secondly, every now and then, I have to reset my fibre modem because I get a message saying that "I am not connected to the internet" and then maybe wait 5 mins before I get connected. Is it my fibre unit I should be reseting or the ADSL unit for broadband.

Cheers.

29-10-2015, 10:32 AM
Hold the bus....
are you using wifi when you have these speed/buffering issues ?

ALLWAYS use network cable when trying to resolve internet speed issues, allways .

Wifi is not the uber-reliable connection that people seem to expect.
wifi will allways be a best effort sort of thing, sometimes its great, sometimes its unreliable or slow .

Its no surprise that wifi works in one area of the house & not isnt good in another part of house. Try another channel, move the wifi AP off the floor & to the same
height as the laptop, move the wifi AP somewhere else in the room .

undiejuice
29-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Hold the bus....
are you using wifi when you have these speed/buffering issues ?

ALLWAYS use network cable when trying to resolve internet speed issues, allways .

Wifi is not the uber-reliable connection that people seem to expect.

wifi will allways be a best effort sort of thing, sometimes its great, sometimes its unreliable or slow .

Its no surprise that wifi works in one area of the house & not isnt good in another part of house. Try another channel, move the wifi AP off the floor & to the same
height as the laptop, move the wifi AP somewhere else in the room .

Hi there! The only time I use WI-Fi is when I am using my laptop outside when the weather is warmer. My computers on my network only use cable; CAT5E. It took me awhile to get back online too. Cheers.

wainuitech
29-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Lets not ignore the elephant in the room :D

Is it my fibre unit I should be reseting or the ADSL unit for broadband Its completely possible that the ADSL Unit is not upto the task. The fibre Modem my be to much for it.

I know when I had a slower cable connection ( maxed at @ 50Mbps) and then went to what I have now, the Telstra tech when he came and installed the newer cable modem advised the original Router I had probably wouldn't handle it - He was right, had all sorts of problems - after a few days I replaced it, and away it went - full speed and solid.

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2015, 03:15 PM
That was good, that FairGo link, thanks wainuitech... but they're confusing "line speeds" with "attained speeds", unfortunately it shows a bit of ignorance on their behalf (Fair Go)
TCF cannot guarantee Line Speeds, however if you were previously attaining, say 25mbps with your last provider, and you switch providers, you would reasonably expect to connect at a similar speed.

Attained speeds are different, and are what was likely what was causing the issue for this bloke, and they _are_ something that TCF can rule on. For example, if during peak times you can't even stream a YouTube video in 720p, however you're syncing at 20mbps, that's not a "Line speed" problem.

(It's probably also worth mentioning how pathetic they were, showing disdain for the subject matter because it was "techy" and they didn't understand it very well... They don't show that same disrespect when it comes to things like plumbing issues or whatever, so why this??)

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Do you think its strange when I could be 1- 2 meters from the actual fiber-modem unit and the internet connection is limited?

If it says "Connection is limited" it means you're connected to your router, however one of two things has happened:
1) You haven't received an IP address from your router, a common problem on the cheap junk that ISPs usually give away for free
2) You're connected successfully to your router, but you've lost connection from your router to your ISP ("the internet")

Basically, you shouldn't have to be restarting your router, especially if it's Fibre. I would suggest if you are, that option 1 is occurring, and its a common issue with routers that I see all too often, especially Huawei and Technicolor routers, though occasionally Netcomm routers have been known to do it too.

If I was you, I'd grab this program:
http://download.cnet.com/My-IP-Address/3000-2648_4-10677416.html
Do it in advance, and see what it looks like, it should show you an IP address such as: 192.168.1.20
You can then run this again when you see "limited connectivity":
- If it shows a LAN IP address, you know the problem is between your router and your ISP
- If it shows nothing in the LAN IP address field, you know that one of the services inside the router has "crashed" and you should ask your ISP for another

Talk to your ISP, lodge a complaint, explain what's happening, explain to them "I'm not getting an IP address from the router when this occurs". They'll probably just end up suggesting you go buy a new router from somewhere else, but it's worth a shot seeing if they'll replace it for you.

undiejuice
30-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks Chilling Silence, and everyone else..............

I will try those things suggested and see how things unfold in the end.

Cheers.