PDA

View Full Version : Screen Clock

27-12-2001, 10:38 PM
Am I correct in assuming that because the screen clock stops every time my computer is switched of for the night the clock stops on that time, then restarts at that time when it is next turned on. Do I have a backup battery that has failed somewhere?

28-12-2001, 12:01 AM
Yes, your pc does have a battery in it to hold all the bios settings (pc configuration info) including time and date. From the sound of it the battery is flat. They cost about $10, and are simple to replace. It is about the size of a 10 cent coin, and the same as a watch battery.

28-12-2001, 02:27 AM
Its Funny that the clock stops at a time when PC is turned off and starts EXACTLY at the same time when you restart. Theres something wrong with the OS then.

If the battery is dead then the time wouldnt satrt from the same place but the time would be reset to a default value and this would be reorted to the OS which would then display a different time.

Do you get any beeps or message e.g'Checksum error' or something when the PC is turned on?? If you do then this is the indication that the battery is dead.

28-12-2001, 04:28 PM
The system clock is set from the CMOS battery backed clock only when the computer is booted up. The time kept by Windows is updated by 18.2 ticks/second interrupts.

If you are not getting error messages when you start up, the battery is probably OK.

It might be that you have a fast startup option, which 'suspends' the OS, and restarts it where it was (in the time dimension too!). Since it does not boot from start, the clock is not loaded from the crystal CMSO clock. Sounds like an *Advanced Feature* to me.