PDA

View Full Version : browser hijack

jinja_thom
14-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Every time I attempt to access the web page Ancestry.co.uk, the page flashes up for about half a second and is then redirected to Ancestry.com.au where the choices given are to register, to login or to select a different Ancestry site which includes Ancestry.co.uk.
If I select the UK site, it flashes up for about half a second and then redirects to Ancestry.com.au
Is it me or them?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Windows 7 and IE 11

wainuitech
14-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Its their Site, just tried going to Ancestry.co.uk in IE, gave the option for a few seconds to stay there, then jumped to the AU site, even if you select a different site from the Drop down box, bottom right hand corner it returns you to the AU site.

OK make a lair of me LOL, just tried it again in Palemoon, and it went to the UK site and stayed put.

paulw
14-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Worked Ok for me on Opera 32. When I connected to Ancestry.co.uk I got a box inviting me to go to the .com.au site but I closed it and it remained on the UK site..

jinja_thom
14-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys, I checked out windows 10 / IE 11 and that works ok then I found Win 7 /IE 11 had some outstanding updates so I'm in the process of installing them now and will check again

jinja_thom
14-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Well IE updates made no difference it still jumps off to AU site so all I can think of is it's some subtle difference in IE 11 for windows 10 and that for windows 7 they are both 64bit.
Wainuitech - As a matter of interest, what version of windows were you using when it went wrong?

14-10-2015, 02:46 PM
In IE , for me
"You are on Ancestry.co.uk. We recommend that you go to Ancestry.com.au." ,
below that "Continue to Ancestry.co.uk"
Then it went to .au , unless I clicked that link to stay with .uk
So if quick, you can choose .uk

In my Firefox (with ghostery add-on) it stays on Ancestry.co.uk, but the page stays blank .
Turn off ghostery & it does the usual switcheroo to .au

Its their website, not much you can do.

Go back far enough, everyone is related to someone famous :-)

Lurking
14-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Yes I had the same problem. B l o o d y Aussies'.!

Down the bottom of their home page there is a box for the other Ancestry sites, but you have to be quick for the login details,.

1101, must have been Ghostery that fixed my problem toooo.

lurking.

wainuitech
14-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Wainuitech - As a matter of interest, what version of windows were you using when it went wrong? Didn't matter what OS or browser, IE and Palemoon on W7 or Edge on W10, all the same.

As others have posted, you have to be quick to hang onto the UK site.

if it still gets redirected, run Ccleaner to remove all temp files etc, and try again.