PDA

View Full Version : active@ , Livecd questions

08-10-2015, 09:41 AM
I know some here have purchased Active@ for disk imaging/cloning

I'm looking to buy this online , Im just wondering what version you bought: personal, corporate, std, pro, active@livecd , active@diskimage
too many versions :)
Is active@diskimage is installable on PC's for going image backups , & active@diskImage is a bootable CD only (just for cloning/rescue/recovery) ?

http://www.livecd.com/buy.html
http://www.disk-image.com/order.htm

dugimodo
08-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Think I bought the standard one, and it allows you to make a bootable disk version anyway so I can either run it from windows or boot off the CD and do the same functions (more reliable).

In any case while I find Active@ is really good for imaging a hdd as a backup and then restoring that image to the same or similar hdd I have had less luck with using it to migrate an OS to a different drive using the clone function, Aomei partition assistant seems to do a better job of that with the free version. The two overlap quite a bit in functionality so you might want to give Aomei a try before spending the money.

Renegade
08-10-2015, 10:44 AM
I bought the personal one, can create a bootdisk or run scheduled backups from Windows.

Also use Aomei Backupper pro from a giveaway - one thing that is annoying with it is that you can't restore more than 3 partitions. So SOL for HPs and the like that have 5... unless you do them individually.

gary67
08-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I have the personnel version works brilliantly

CliveM
08-10-2015, 09:56 PM
I have the personnel version works brilliantly

So do I and as Gary says it works brilliantly.

pctek
09-10-2015, 06:10 AM
Personal, standard, no fancy extras.
Very happy with it.

27-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Ive bought the Pro version. (v7)
One big issue....

When I create a bootable CD/ISO , it makes a 64bit bit only version. So it cant be used on older CPU's
Also, the options to create a Linux or DOS CD/ISO are there, but cannot be ticked ??

I never had this issue with the demo versions Ive tried. It must use a newer PE enviroment (win7/8 based?) that doesnt support 32b
Not sure why the Linux boot CD/ISO options cant be selected though.

:mad:

27-10-2015, 10:22 AM
OK, some more info (Ive emailed them as well)

the new version Winpe they use is 64Bit only. Useless for older pc's .
Unregistered software gives the Lin bootdisk (will be time limited) , register that software & the Lin bootCd/ISO option then is unavailable (huh?)
No older version of the software I paid for, but there is an older version of just the basic @Bootdisk that I'll try

dugimodo
27-10-2015, 10:38 AM
It may not really be much of a problem not having 32 bit support. There really aren't that many computers around these days that are not 64 bit capable, I understand why they might want to abandon 32 bit versions. AMD processors have been capable of 64 bit for at least 12 years now, intel followed suit very quickly so is about the same. The hardware was 64 bit capable long before 64 bit software started showing up commonly.

Unless you have machines from around 2003ish vintage it's unlikely you'll have an issue with the boot disk.

27-10-2015, 12:29 PM
The Big reason I bought this products was , the demo version worked great on older laptops where other products would fail .
The demo's boot CD was Linux based, that option is gone after registering.
The Win PE based bootCD's simply has issues some older laptops, especially with any Drives connected to USB's .
Ive found an older version with 32bit PE bootdisk, that has issue on the old laptop here (wher the demo Lin bootcd works)

As is, its really no better than the latest free WD acronos based CD's (actually its worse)

Yep, its beginning to sound like a winge :-)

27-10-2015, 03:15 PM
all solved now :rolleyes:

I downloaded a few versions of the software , one them made a nice 32B PE Bootdisk , I made the Lin Bootdisk by re-installing the software & not registering it.
Fully covered now I think . It didnt help that the old lappy I was testing with, wasnt compatable with either PE Bootdisk .

mzee
27-10-2015, 05:09 PM
I tried them all and settled on Aomei Backupper. I have both the Standard Free one and the Pro. They also do Universal restore, and produce boot disks in Windows & Linux. Both are W10 compatible. I can change my system from W10 to W7 from within Windows, hands free in about 20 minutes!