PDA

View Full Version : Windows 'snooping' and nagging patches return

zqwerty
07-10-2015, 11:09 PM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2989896/microsoft-windows/windows-snooping-and-nagging-patches-return-kb-3035583-kb-2952664.html

08-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Now thats damn annoying.
It seems the re-release, will negate it being previously hidden.
So it has to be re-hidden, along with the 'telemetry' patches if you didnt want them either.

Not good for those with damn good reason NOT to have this Win10 upgrade popup on certain PC's
Are MS panicking about the lack of uptake on Win10 ? :)

mzee
08-10-2015, 10:09 AM
This is why I disable auto updates once everything is up and running. I consider the risk of snooping by MS to be greater than the possibility of other risks.

Agent_24
12-10-2015, 09:33 AM
You should still install actual security updates.

On the original topic, I'd swear I already hid KB 3035583 but it's sitting in my Windows Update queue again! Microsoft are getting mighty persistent with their Windows 10 pushing... and all it makes me want to do is get further away from them.

mzee
12-10-2015, 10:58 AM
You should still install actual security updates.

On the original topic, I'd swear I already hid KB 3035583 but it's sitting in my Windows Update queue again! Microsoft are getting mighty persistent with their Windows 10 pushing... and all it makes me want to do is get further away from them.

Normally I would install the security updates, but Windows 10 doesn't have an option to select the updates, its all or nothing. There is a 3rd party script which aids the selection but I can't be bothered with it. There again, how do we know that a "security update" is one & not some piece of nosy script? I don't trust them. You are right about it making you want to get further away from you, same as persistent intrusive advertising on TV. For instance, I will not buy anything from Hardly Normal no matter how cheap it is. I also will not buy anything which is priced *.99cts unless they can give me 1ct change, it all bullshit.

bk T
12-10-2015, 11:10 AM
... I also will not buy anything which is priced *.99cts unless they can give me 1ct change, it all bullshit.

I agree with you the .99cts it all bs - I hate it too; but I will still buy it if I need it, otherwise, probably I won't be able to get most of the items.

I think the Govt should put a stop to this sort of rubbish.

12-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Normally I would install the security updates, but Windows 10 doesn't have an option to select the updates, its all or nothing. There is a 3rd party script which aids the selection but I can't be bothered with it. There again, how do we know that a "security update" is one & not some piece of nosy script? I don't trust them.

perhaps its just one step too far, the last straw....(thats why Im avoiding Win10)
but its in reality a drop in the ocean.
If serious about not wanting snooping, would need to stop using free email, never use google search or any google products (gmail, chrome etc) , never use Android , never use new Win phones, never use win7 as the 'telemetry' has been added to that via updates as well.
ie pull up the drawbridge & move into a cave. :)

Yes , they have added their nosy scripts ("telemetry") to win7 as well now.