PDA

View Full Version : Win7 Icon Cache.

B.M.
02-10-2015, 04:01 PM
In the good old days of XP if your Desktop Icons were slow to load or loaded and refreshed you just increased the Icon Cache size and the matter was resolved, so, I thought Id google how to do this with Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

Well, what a heap of conflicting answers. Some say the registry has to be edited using DWORD, some say no QWORD and some say it has to be edited as a String and I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. :D

So has anybody out there actually successfully completed such a task successfully?

Im not concerned about editing the registry as Ive done it many times before, but I would like to get it right first time. ;)

Kame
03-10-2015, 12:56 PM
The registry is a binary file DWORD is 32bit integer, QWORD is 64bit, string is really for human readable strings, so if you are dealing with numbers, it should be using an integer storage but really depends on how the program makes use if the entry.

When you're deciding to use DWORD to QWORD its dependant on the size of your number, you can fit a DWORD into a QWORD, but if its a huge number and could potentially go beyond a 32 bit integer, use QWORD to be safe.

As for the registry, if they point you to the right location and its numeric, I would believe we just need to understand what the value represents and you can decide what would be best to store it. DWORD be my guess.

Cheers,

KK

B.M.
03-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Well in the end I edited the registry as shown below and wouldnt you know it, it made not a blind bit of difference. :D

But I left the cache size at 4096 anyway and it was already set at 2000, so I wasnt hopeful once I saw that, given the default is 500 I believe.

Terry Porritt
03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Probably if you can rectify your slow boot time first, it will also solve the slow icon loading.

B.M.
03-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Yes, I guess I have eliminated the Icon Cache as being the holdup so now it is a matter of what next.

I’m working on apsattv’s suggestions in the Win7 Boot Time Thread.