PDA

View Full Version : Want to add a default program to open PDF files

Misty
30-09-2015, 09:26 AM
At the moment when I download a PDF image, the default program is Irfanview. Whilst Irfanview is a great program it cannot deal with PDF's. I went to the Control Panel and looked at the default
programs and Photoshop Elements 11 is not listed as an option. I want to add it.

Have downloaded a program called "Default Programs Editor", which from accounts works fine. However I am finding it hard to identify how to get the result I want.

Can anyone help me to use Default Programs Editor or suggest an alternative. Please keep in mind that my abilities are limited. I cannot touch the registry or do code, etc.
Operating system is Windows 7.

On writing this it seems instead that I really need to change what program Firefox uses to open the PDF ?

Misty
30-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Oops, should have said PSD file

30-09-2015, 10:00 AM
what, no no no

download & install Adobe Acrobat Reader. It will install the correct pdf plugin for Firefox.

btw, I allways turn those brower pdf plugins off, I hate them, truley awefull trying to read a pdf inside FF or IE . Download the pdf, then open it.
I dont know why you want to use Photoshop for pdf's

or, save a pdf to the desktop (or my docs) Then right click on the pdf & go "open with"

dugimodo
30-09-2015, 10:24 AM
IMHO the easiest way to choose a default program is usually to right click a file, choose open with, then you should be able to browse to any installed program and tick the always use checkbox. I find this easier than alternative methods.

rumpty
30-09-2015, 11:21 AM
I use XnView to view picture files - used it for years. It has .psd in its list of files that it will open.

Misty
30-09-2015, 11:33 AM
It will install the correct pdf plugin for Firefox.
or, save a pdf to the desktop (or my docs) Then right click on the pdf & go "open with"
Sorry 1101 - you have obviously not seen my second post directly under the first. I meant to say PSD file.

Misty
30-09-2015, 11:35 AM
I use XnView to view picture files - used it for years. It has .psd in its list of files that it will open.
Hi rumpty - I want to use Photoshop Elements as I want to edit as well as view. But thanks anyway.

Misty
30-09-2015, 11:39 AM
IMHO the easiest way to choose a default program is usually to right click a file, choose open with, then you should be able to browse to any installed program and tick the always use checkbox. I find this easier than alternative methods. I know how to do that thanks dugimodo. However the problem is earlier than that - when I view downloads and then try to save it opens them with Irfanview. For a PSD file Irfanview cannot show the layers. I have gone into Firefox options, then applications and specified Photoshop Elements to open PSD files but it persists in opening them in Irfanview.

Misty
30-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Don't worry folks, but thanks anyway, I have sorted. Although I had changed Firefox Options/Applications the existing downloads still had some kind of memory remaining, so did what it had done before. What I did was to delete all my downloads and then downloaded them a second time. Working fine now.