PDA

View Full Version : F.I.C. mainboards

27-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Upgrading to 1200M Athlon. My Gigabyte board is only 100M FSB so need new board. As I have 512M of SDRAM I am not looking at a DDRAM board. The F.I.C. AZ11EA has very good specs and for the money looks a good buy.The maker claims to have been in the board business for 30 odd years and the NZ agent (Dove Electronics) are a good outfit to deal with. My main use is usual home bits and pieces and M/S Flight Sims. O/S is ME. Any constructive comments will be much appreciated.

27-12-2001, 03:26 PM
can quite gladdly recommend fic mobo's. good basic boards...not known for overclocking thou. good support www.fic.com.tw and dove are very good to deal with.

27-12-2001, 03:54 PM
Assuming you already have the Athlon 1200 CPU, i suggest you you go for a DDR RAM based mbo as RAM prices are ridiculosly cheap...even though DDR ones are bit higher.

You are upgrading from 100 bus speed to only 133 one as you still want to use that SDRAM, it wont be much of a huge diff.

I am a Gigabyte fan and suggest you get Gigabyte 7VTXE which retails for $250+GST from E-one computers. Its got all the goodies (onboard sound)plus on board LAN adapter as well if you want(VTXH version only with slightly higher price).

The reasons for this:
You have more upgradability life as you can add Atlon XP CPU's later on. Much noticeable performance compared to upgrading to a 133 RAM. Its bit more $$ but performance gain is worth it.

F.I.C mbo are okk but these ones are known for stability and quality: Asus , Abit, MSI, Gigabyte,

Cheers.

27-12-2001, 04:01 PM
Might also be an idea to choose a board that has both SDRAM and DDRRAM slots. I know Asus do one thought I don't recall the model #. Check out www.asus.com.tw
I'm thinking of doing the same shortly myself : as in, upgrading to an Athlon XP though I have oddles of MB of SDRAM in my home systems that I would probably re-use.

27-12-2001, 08:13 PM
Hi Ratesh.
I already have a gigabyte board - it gave trouble and the NZ agent didn't want to know about it because it was a couple of weeks out of warranty and they could not go back to the manufacturer. They are not interested in the ' Consumer Guarantees Act '. I fixed it myself and Gigabyte have lost a customer for life.Check out the specs on the AZ11EA, read the reviews and tell me who is offering a better deal at $205 plus GST. I have also dealt with Dove for a long time now and they are a very good outfit. I was really wanting to know what other's had experienced with F.I.C. boards. If tweak e says they are OK I am inclined to go ahead and purchase.

lardass
14-01-2003, 08:50 PM
yeah there is an ASUS motherboard that supports both types of RAM you mentioned. It is the ASUS A7A-266E -- if you still have the July 2002 issue of New Zealand PC World there is an article on PC Upgrades (pp.62-64) that specifically mentions this motherboard

drys
14-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I have AZ11EA m/b running AMD T/B 1200 it hasn't missed a beat in the 12 month's i have had it. I also deal exclusively with Dove an excellent company with good prices.
Trev

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Hey
Have you checked the dates of the threads you have been replying to? - 27th December 2001? - I very much doubt that the origional thread owner will still be interested in the results.

CyberChuck

lardass
15-01-2003, 07:01 PM
get over it

drys
15-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Opps didn't look at date sorry. Notice 2 threads restarted on same subject by same person. Say no more.

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Atleast your contributing! - just as a general rule of thumb, try to keep your replys within the top 100 posts and you should be ok

Stumped Badly
15-01-2003, 08:37 PM
If you are on a budget would you consider an:

FIC Az11 Socket A Motherboard with Onboard Sound
The FIC AZ11 is a full-Size ATX Motherboard that is designed for the AMD Duron generation of processors. Via Apollo KT133 and 686A chipset, supporting AMD Athlon and Duron Processors @200FSB.
1- 4X AGP Pro, 5 PCI, 3 SDRAM PC66, PC100, PC133, VCSDRAM,
1 Parallel, 1 Serial, 2 USB, PS/2 Keyboard,
PS/2 Mouse, On Board Audio with LineIn-Mic-In, Line Out.

For $95.00 incl

I bought one of these a wee while ago & run a 900 Athlon flawlessly on it.
It only supports up to 1.1GHz Athlon but comes with overclocking software which will run your 1.2GHz.
Or run it at 1.1GHz, you probably won't notice the difference.

Stumped Badly
15-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Sorry, should have said these boards are brand new, boxed & come with all cables, Norton Antivirus 2001, Nortons personal Firewall, Nortons Ghost, Driver CD & a couple of other graphic type proggys.

cyberchuck
15-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Hey
That's not too bad - Where'd you get that deal from?

CyberChuck