PDA

View Full Version : Emails not downloading into Outlook

Beemer
21-09-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm using a Mac with Outlook 2011 and yesterday afternoon when I did a send and receive just before shutting down my computer nothing happened. This has happened before but usually if I click send and receive again the status bar at the bottom of the screen shows it is connecting and getting messages. Again nothing happened, so I checked my web server and saw there was a message there that I wanted to download so I tried again in Outlook. Nothing. I Googled the problem and followed suggestions to check all the settings (all fine, nothing had changed) and to quit Outlook and try again. I quit a few times and voila, the emails appeared so I figured whatever the problem was, it had sorted itself.

While doing this, I sent a test email to myself and it appeared on the web server but only downloaded into Outlook after about 15 minutes of trying.

This morning I checked the web server first (I like to delete unwanted emails before opening Outlook) and there were several messages there, but when I opened Outlook I struck the same problem again - the emails are not downloading but just staying on the web server. Outlook is showing the status bar and saying it is logging on and checking for messages and I know there are emails on the web server but they are not being downloaded. I checked the settings again, all fine, no changes, and quit and reopened it a few times but still nothing. I can't seem to find an answer by Googling it - all the answers I find say to check settings and similar and as nothing as changed, this isn't fixing the problem. It's a real pain as I have several email addresses with different web servers so I prefer most of it to download to Outlook so I don't have to check multiple sites during the day.

I've just tried sending myself a test email to two different email addresses and both have appeared on the web servers so there doesn't appear to be a problem with sending in Outlook, just receiving.

I am with Spark so tried ringing them to see if there was a problem at their end but have had to settle for a call-back sometime today.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a whiz on computers so in simple terms if possible!

Beemer
21-09-2015, 01:57 PM
And to make things even weirder, one of the emails I sent as a test this morning has just downloaded into Outlook - but it hasn't disappeared from the web server as it usually does, it's still sitting there (and I don't have it set to keep a copy on the web server). The other email I sent, to my Spark Yahoo address, is on the web server but that hasn't downloaded into Outlook yet.

21-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Its usually an issue with yahoo (Yes yahoo) .Spark have almost zero control over yahoo/xtra issues , waste of time ringing them.
wait 1-4 days & it will be working again.

if using pop3 , try imap (& vice versa)

Permanent fix is switch to gmail .

Beemer
21-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks - never had the problem before yesterday to this extent. The email sent to the Yahoo/Spark address has just downloaded, so the two emails I sent myself have downloaded, but not the others sitting on the web server. Think I'll be switching back to my former provider after my contract ends with Spark - had nothing but trouble with their broadband and mobile!

Beemer
21-09-2015, 02:28 PM
The only way I can get the web server emails to download is to forward them from one account to the other, then for some reason they will download into Outlook! There is certainly something odd going on with Yahoo/Spark though as the new emails are being filed into the Yahoo trash folder straight away. One of the two emails I sent to that account arrived in Outlook twice, within a minute or so, whereas the other one took several minutes to arrive in the inbox (I sent the second one again as I thought I must have sent one twice and missed the second one, but the second one went to the inbox not the trash folder).

21-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Ive have xtra/yahoo mails delayed for 3 days before arriving (yep it was sent), but email sent after that go through instantly
xtra/yahoo are one of the most unreliable email providers .

You dont need to use them at all for email . Just swap to gmail now , dont wait till the end of the Spark contract .

Beemer
22-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I finally got contacted by Spark - "I've checked on our end and there's no sign of issue with the emails unable to be downloaded from server. Since you’re able to log into the webmail account, the program Outlook should be able to do so and download the emails unless there’s issue to do with the program. The program would usually provide a message if it fail to complete task – did you receive one?"

I haven't received any error messages, although recently I have had a few timeout error messages or 'failed to connect to the server' messages, but if I quit Outlook and restarted it, the emails all downloaded. I've now got heaps on the web server but can't get them into Outlook, which is where I want them. I have a Gmail account, but I have that downloading into Outlook and that's what I want to continue to do but the emails are not downloading unless I forward them from the Gmail account to the Xtra account, which is a pain.

Is this likely to be a problem with Outlook, Xtra/Yahoo, or with the web server for my Gmail account?

22-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I would bet its an issue with yahoo/xtra
As I said, they are one on the most unreliable email providers out there .
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Yahoo-Swims-in-Mediocrity-Mail-Is-Unreliable-but-Mayer-Dreams-of-Taking-on-YouTube-438243.shtml
https://www.google.com/search?q=yahoo+email+unreliable+site:answers.yahoo .com&biw=1440&bih=771&tbas=0&sa=X&ved=0CC8QrQIoBDABahUKEwjssY-epInIAhVBFqYKHW_6DtI

Spark have little control over yahoo email issues, yahoo is a different company .
If there are issues, Spark often dont know or wont admit the issue (yep , thats happened) . Seems its common for their helpdesk to just blame
the users PC for yahoo/extra email issues.

Beemer
22-09-2015, 05:45 PM
I just had a few error messages with the Xtra email address downloading into Xtra, and if I don't delete emails from the server it keeps delivering them. The Gmail ones are still sitting on the web server, so I get the feeling it IS a Yahoo/Xtra issue because that is the server that should be delivering these messages to Outlook. It's been two days now and the only way around it is to forward the Gmail emails to the Xtra email address and then they will download into Outlook - but slowly! One came through at 10.15am and another sent at the same time five hours later. I sent one just before and it arrived in minutes.

Beemer
23-09-2015, 05:48 PM
The problem has been sorted now, with help from a guy called Hayden who Webz recommended. It was actually a Gmail problem - for some reason Outlook stopped seeking to download emails from Gmail so he remotely accessed my computer, checked a few settings, and voila, my emails are all downloading into Outlook again. Unfortunately it did download a hell of a lot of old ones that were still on the server, but that's a small price to pay to get it all working again!

Beemer
23-09-2015, 06:43 PM
And I still have one minor problem - when the emails have been downloaded from Gmail into Outlook, they are not being deleted off the server. I want them to remain in the 'all mail' box but I want them removed from the inbox after downloading - especially when I am checking them on my phone. Hopefully that can be sorted easily, I'll leave that for tomorrow!