PDA

View Full Version : Messed up storage HDD

kioti
10-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Hi, I have a new problem,,,well it is not new, I have had it before and managed to get it sorted, but...I cannot remember the method I used to achieve the good end. So, here is the problem:
I have a Samsung SV1204H IDE ATA HDD that now shows in 'Computer' as Local Disk (D:) of which I can neither open nor access Properties.
The HDD was labeled D:Extra and was a Primary Drive and held data (Backup). The drive had 112 GB usable with 52GB used and 60GB free space
and I wanted to create a usable partition in the free space on which to instal an OS.

I used Easeus Partition Master 10 to resize the drive, meaning I resized the drive with the data to 55GB and the resulting unallocated space I created a 57GB NTFS Primary partition.
Had to reboot to have the 2 tasks completed and at the end of it I had a notice in 'Computer' saying I had to Format the 'D' Drive and I am not doing that, and as for the Partition I created, that showed as a usable drive (partition) of 57GB.
I then returned to using Easeus PM and resized the drive back to its original size of 112GB. Had to reboot for the operations to be performed and, as I am sure you have figured. I now have a 112GB HDD that I cannot access at all in 'Computer'.
So. how do I get that 'D' drive up and running with all of the Data on it accessible? When I did it before. in order to get all of the data in 5 partitions on the 2TD Ex HDD, I had
to rebuild the entire disk structure because the entire 2TB External drive had become 'Unallocated Space'. That is not the case here. In Easeus PM10, the 'D' Shows as 112GB Primary drive and it
shows 52GB used space on it...............I do not want to use data recovery tools like Recuva or Easeus Data Recovery to get the drive accessible. The Data is there and shows it is there in Easeus, ..although when i use option to 'View' i see nothing of the data contained...........and in ' Computer' i have zero access to the 'D' HDD. It shows as a HDD labeled 'D' and that is it.

Advice appreciated thanks

Kame
10-09-2015, 05:42 AM
Correct the partition table. Not sure if what you are using does it but it should if it deals with drives.

You'll probably need to research into how you go about it, but once that table is correct, everything should reappear.

Cheers,

KK

kioti
10-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks Kame. I will look into your suggestion. What I am seeing in 'Computer' showing the drive icon is just that, there is no Bar showing the drive size and what is used and unused space as it shows for all other HDD's in the Computer. Also when I click on the drive to try opening it I get a window saying that I have to format the drive before I can use it, I decline the offer to do so. Then another window opens with a red x, the window is labeled "Location is not available", D:\is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check). I think the data has been moved when I resized the drive and then created the new partition using the unallocated space because when I dragged the right edge of the box showing the drive to the left to make the D drive the 55GB and then created the new partition in the unallocated space and had to reboot to have the 2 tasks completed, there was onscreen a progress window and it said that data was being moved and that data was the used space. So, somehow, the tables have been changed. Thanks again for your advice. I will get it sorted out.....I mean, I could format the drive and then do Data Recovery to get back the data. I have done that before but in this case I would rather not do so. Looks like some good hits at the following Link to repair a partition table. I am running W7 x64 Pro. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+repair+a+partition+table&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

kioti
10-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Solved.......Thank you Kame. I reopened Easeus Partition Master 10, right clicked the D Drive and chose option to "Check Partition" an unt5icked the option to Surface test, using only the options: "Check Partition Properties" & Call Windows Chkdsk.exe to fix errors if found errors". In less than 5 seconds it was completed and I can access the Drive. Strange thing is that I did this same check yesterday but I had the option to "Surface Test" ticked, and it was going to take 12 hours I was informed, so after 20 Minutes I cancelled the operations. Must have cancelled out the repair done using the other 2 options. Anyway, all good now. Thank you very much.

kingdragonfly
13-09-2015, 11:29 AM
I guess it needs to be said: always backup beforehand