PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Disc problem

Krad
06-09-2015, 12:16 PM
I had a 1TB external hard disc full of backed up files and I used Paragon Backup and Restore to put a 95GB image on the disc.
When I tried to access it it gave the message "Format this disc". I tried but it would not allow it. I plugged the disc in today and it opened as empty but only with 95GB available. I copied folders to it and it seems ok. Is it possible to get back the missing 900GB and if so how?

wainuitech
06-09-2015, 02:03 PM
For starters stop copying data to the drive. Sounds like the partition Table went belly up somehow.

Then try AOEMI Partition Standard http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html Install it, plug in the external HDD, and run the partition Recovery Wizard over the External HDD>

It may take some time to scan, but let it run, it will show any recoverable partitions at the finish.Follow any prompts.

If you're lucky all the data will be there still, if it is copy it off to the PC, and then reformat the External HDD and copy it back.

You can also extend the partition to the drives full capacity - But doing so will over write all data that could be recovered.

pctek
06-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Er....how did you put this image on it? You didn't actually do IMAGE to DISC did you? Cause I have a nasty suspicion you just over wrote the HDD.

Krad
11-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Er....how did you put this image on it? You didn't actually do IMAGE to DISC did you? Cause I have a nasty suspicion you just over wrote the HDD.

You are probably right. I thought the image would only take up 97gb of the external drive.

Krad
11-09-2015, 01:12 PM
For starters stop copying data to the drive. Sounds like the partition Table went belly up somehow.

Then try AOEMI Partition Standard http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html Install it, plug in the external HDD, and run the partition Recovery Wizard over the External HDD>

It may take some time to scan, but let it run, it will show any recoverable partitions at the finish.Follow any prompts.

If you're lucky all the data will be there still, if it is copy it off to the PC, and then reformat the External HDD and copy it back.

You can also extend the partition to the drives full capacity - But doing so will over write all data that could be recovered.

Thanks - I will try it. Regards

wainuitech
11-09-2015, 02:26 PM
You are probably right. I thought the image would only take up 97gb of the external drive. You shouldn't have been able to do a Image to Disc.

Image to disc needs a pre existing image to start from. Disc to Image should have made a single disc image of the Computer at roughly 97GB or smaller depending on how much compression was selected.