PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a router

pcuser42
03-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Having now decided that the Huawei router Vodafone gave us is... well, terrible, I'm now looking at replacements.

Requirements: must support fibre, must retain landline phones, Gigabit ideal, 802.11ac preferred.

Any suggestions?

(PB Tech preferred as I get the staff discount :p)

CYaBro
04-09-2015, 12:39 AM
I have one of these for sale if you are interested?
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNCM1054&name=NetComm-NF4V-Fully-featured-VDSL2--ADSL2+-WiFi-Gig

Basically brand new and just used for testing.

Alex B
04-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Have you put the latest firmware on the Huawei? Probably better off with an NF8AC if you're going Netcomm and then a separate ATA for phone.

Driftwood
04-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Having now decided that the Huawei router Vodafone gave us is... well, terrible, I'm now looking at replacements.

Requirements: must support fibre, must retain landline phones, Gigabit ideal, 802.11ac preferred.

Any suggestions?

(PB Tech preferred as I get the staff discount :p)

Curious.
What is the model of the Huawei?
What problems are you having?

pcuser42
04-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Curious.What is the model of the Huawei?What problems are you having?HG659. Not being able to access my own domain (pointing to our IP) within the LAN is one reason, as is the limited number of static IPs available to use. It's just clumsy really.

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2015, 06:26 PM
You've not said if it's UFB or VDSL2 that you want one for?

I would still recommend the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. Doesn't have AC WiFi or 5Ghz but it's *solid* and it's super easy to get up and running. That said if you're on UFB, it doesn't natively support VLAN10 on the WAN interface so if your ISP requires that then you're sweet outta luck.
However, if you're on VDSL2 then a DV130 + Gargoyle on the TL-WR1043ND will work a *treat*!

Otherwise look up the Xiaomi Mini WiFi router, it does 802.11ac and I've had decent experience playing with it thus far, just it's a *PITA* to get OpenWRT on to it...

pcuser42
06-09-2015, 07:37 PM
You've not said if it's UFB or VDSL2 that you want one for?

I would still recommend the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND. Doesn't have AC WiFi or 5Ghz but it's *solid* and it's super easy to get up and running. That said if you're on UFB, it doesn't natively support VLAN10 on the WAN interface so if your ISP requires that then you're sweet outta luck.
However, if you're on VDSL2 then a DV130 + Gargoyle on the TL-WR1043ND will work a *treat*!

Otherwise look up the Xiaomi Mini WiFi router, it does 802.11ac and I've had decent experience playing with it thus far, just it's a *PITA* to get OpenWRT on to it...

UFB, but I have no idea if the 1043 we have will actually work. I should probably try it. :p

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2015, 10:33 PM
If you put OpenWRT then yes it'll support VLAN10 on the WAN if your ISP requires that. Gargoyle doesn't support VLAN tagging.