PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 start menu and net connection buttons ...

Lovelee
31-08-2015, 09:08 PM
suddenly not working .... Ive googled and found some instructions but they are too technical for me ...

any ideas? Maybe redoing Windows 10?

Lovelee
31-08-2015, 09:20 PM
my computer took down an update this morning .... this happened after that ...

wainuitech
31-08-2015, 10:26 PM
You can try system restore -- In the search ( next to start button) type in Restore - hopefully it will pop up, select Create a restore point, then on the widow that opens, click System Restore - select a restore point before the update - run it.

You can also run restore by pressing the Windows Key + R in the run box type in rstrui.exe <Press enter>

Lovelee
31-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Yeh ... thanks :) Thought of that! Always have it set to do a restore point ... but Windows 10 musta turned that off ... cos there are no restore points

wainuitech
31-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Theres several causes and many different things you can try - have a read start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10 (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10) Had to use the Dism command a couple of times.

Lovelee
31-08-2015, 11:10 PM
hmmm cheers! Not sure I am capable of doing that :) LOL

Renegade
01-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Not running Avast by any chance? One I fixed last week was caused by Avast (paid version/not latest build). After removing it then re-installing the latest version it was all good.

Lawrence
01-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Could always install Classic Shell http://www.classicshell.net/ if you can get to it to get your self mobile again and troubleshoot later

From here open network and sharing centre click on change adapter settings right-click on WiFi adapter click diagnose then it will troubleshoot and ask you if you want to turn it on and click on it, see if is able to get your connect function back

wainuitech
01-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Classic Shell is not really a fix, in fact I've seen it cause more problems when windows does updates ( as you would expect)

The repairs really need to be done other wise it will remain broken.

Just been on the insider program, if its any consolation there are a lot of people all having the same problems with the start menu recently.

On the lighter side - To quote one other person:

One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer........

As that one feller once mumbled, "its like a box of chocolates....."

:lol:

Lovelee
01-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Cheers Wainuitech ... yeh Im seeing a lot of people frustrated ... tried a few things but nada. Im guessing M/soft will be working their arses off to fix this ... driving me madddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd :(

Lovelee
01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I meant to ask ... how do I see whats in my start menu ... and how can I stop stuff I dont want to start? I forget :D

wainuitech
01-09-2015, 12:00 PM
I meant to ask ... how do I see whats in my start menu ... and how can I stop stuff I dont want to start? I forget :D W10 is slightly different.

bring up Task manger - press Ctrl + Alt+ del Click Task manager.

If the full options are not showing in the window, bottom left click on "More Details" - on the startup Tab, you select whats starting by enable or disable.

Lovelee
01-09-2015, 12:01 PM
thanks

Lovelee
06-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi all .. well nothing would fix this problem .. so I hunted out Microsoft NZ number and spoke to a lady in the Philippines .. she ran everything she could by remote ... no help ... next day a senior tech rang .. after much messing around he downloaded 10 again .... and I now have no issues. Patience helped, being polite helped .... he was just wonderful .. rang back this am to check all was good!!!