PDA

View Full Version : One dead PC....CPU or Mobo...or???

kioti
31-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Hi.One dead computer which was fine until I hit the Power button to start it on my return home. I had shut down the computer and gone out for the day yesterday.
I have done all the obvious checks/swaps of power cables to the computer and all is good there.
I have also reset CMOS, replaced CMOS Battery, unplugged every cable from PSU except for the 24 Pin and 4 pin CPU cables to Mobo, HSF and Front panel PWR +& -.
Also, I have swapped PSU with others from working PC's and still no life. The PSU from non-working computer works perfectly in PC's I used PSU from to test if it is a PSU problem in my PC.
In my PC, there are no Beeps, no red power LED glowing on front of case, no amber lights on keyboard, no fans start spinning..101% zilch.
I'm dreading that this is CPU or Mobo failure because from past experience the symptoms point towards that being the case. Though I am hoping someone could advise on something else I can do to test for the cause of the problem
I cannot swap out the CPU and HS/HSF to test in another computer because I do not have another PC that uses AM2+/AM3 CPU.
Also, I removed and reseated the RAM. End result, PC still dead.
Com specs are:
Gigabyte GA-MA74GM S2
AMD Athlon 11x4 630 CPU
4GB Adata DDR2 800MHZ RAM (2x2GB Matched pair)
CoolerMaser RS 550 PCAR-ES PSU
Onboard graphics or Gigabyte 8500 PCI-e
4xSata HDD totalling 3.5GB and 1x IDE ATA 320GB HDD (all unplugged from PSU and Mobo)
LG Optic drive (unplugged from PSU and Mobo)
Windows 7x64 Professional fully updated

I spent a few hours googling my problem but all suggested remedies I had tried. Any help well appreciated thank you.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Short the pw pins on the front panel header, with a screwdriver if you havent yet.

See if it turns on. If it does the button on the front maybe faulty. If the mobo has an ATX12v header, dont forget to connect power to this as well

psycik
31-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Short the pw pins on the front panel header, with a screwdriver if you havent yet.

See if it turns on. If it does the button on the front maybe faulty. If the mobo has an ATX12v header, dont forget to connect power to this as well

What speedy said. I had the same problem and thought I'd fragged a Mobo/CPU...turned out it was just the switch.

kioti
31-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks Speedy. I had tried that and still no go. Sorry, I forgot to add it to the list of things I had done.The 4 pin ATX12v is connected to mobo too.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2015, 12:31 PM
What about the ATX2v connector if its got the header? Try connecting the main hdd see what happens

Are you in NZ or somewhere else?

kioti
31-08-2015, 12:32 PM
psycik, thanks. I had done both of what Speedy suggested and still Dodo PC. Thanks

wainuitech
31-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Only other suggestion, have a look at all the USB ports, make sure the plastic tab in one has not broken out the the pins inside are not bent thus causing a short. If they are this will stop it from booting.

kioti
31-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi Speedy, I'm in Dunedin NZ. the ATX2v header? What I have connected is the 4 pin connector from the PSU to the appropriate connector on the3 Mobo. It is to run the CPU. And I did try connecting the main HDD and no other hardware (HDD's and Optics)

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Some mobos have the CPU 4 pin header and an ATX 12v connector which can be 4 or 8 pin. This SHOULD be connected if the mobo has the connection

If this is your mobo (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3323#ov)the ATX 12v connector is the 4 pin plug behind (I think it's the video / VGA port) top right in the pic thats on the site

kioti
31-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks wainuitech. I will give the USB ports a looking at. I know that that some on the back have become loose meaning that when I plug a USB device in that they feel loose fitting in the USB port....wear probably. But there is one of the 2 USB ports on the front of the tower that has lost its casing around it and attempting to use a USB device (flash drive/keyboard/mouse) just does not work and the other one of the 2 has that 'loose' fitting feel to the device that I connect. I will check it out. Thanks

kioti
31-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Speedy, yeah that's the mobo I have and the 4 pin connector from PSU is connected to it as it should be, can only be connected one way so its not connected wrong. ps: I am in Dunedin NZ. I did reply to your question on that but may not have posted it.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2015, 12:59 PM
What you could try is take it out of the case and put it on a bench. Obviously non metallic. See if it turns on. In case something is shorting.

The CPU thats on the mobo. You didnt install another more recent / up to date one did you?

kioti
31-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Speedy, yeah, I am resigned to that having to do a complete strip down and removal of mobo/etc from its case and do a thourough clean up and reconnect all starting with just the necessary basics for a star......mobo/cpu with HSF and HS/RAM/C Drive and PSU. The PSU from the computer that has problem is running now in the one I am using. It is just a spare I have and is not up to much...and its running W7x64 with 1GB RAM and a Celeron 2.67 CP...but it allows me to be here.

kioti
31-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Righto, Speedy, wainuitech and psycik...........thanks for the suggestions. I will now strip out components of the sleeping PC and do the USB port inspections and on bench reassemble. I will post back end results and findings. Thanks (y) :v

kioti
31-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Update. before undertaking the strip down, I decided to again short the pwr pins on mobo front panel connectors and CPU fan started. So, now I will try adding back C HDD and get the 550W PSU out of com I using now because the one in the com I want to use is only 250W and although the 8500 graphics card isn't that heavy on current draw I way as well use the 550W. I will post back when I have the computer back together. I am happy that the CPU HSF and case fans are spinning. No red LED on front of case as cables are disconnected. I will post back shortly.

dugimodo
31-08-2015, 03:26 PM
First the stupid question bit, is the switch on the PSU on? Next use a bit of wire and short the green wire of the 24 pin power connector to one of the black ones (Can disconnect form the PC if you're worried), if nothing happens the PSU is dead. If the power supply fires up but it still doesn't work it's likely the motherboard. It's the same as shorting the MB power connector except that still relies on the motherboard passing the signal on which it might not do if it's dead. I've had at least one dead motherboard refuse to send the power on signal in the past.

kioti
31-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Ok. Replaced and connected CoolerMaster 550W PSU 24Pin connector to Mobo, connected the ATX 12v connector for CPU, all fans connected and working, connected the PWR cable to F Panel pins. Connected C Drive HDD and started computer. When first turned on I was getting 4 beeps, powered off removed and reseated RAM. Beeps gone...No lights on keyboard but main issue now is that computer does the POST but goes no further than Memory Testing and Memory Information...it is not detecting HDD's. Rebooted another 2 times, same result. Removed CMOS battery, cleared CMOS and booted com again but still no HDD detection. Have left it for 20 minutes to see if it come right

kioti
31-08-2015, 03:48 PM
dugimodo, yes the the PSU power switch was/is in the On position. No need to do your suggested test to see if PSU is working. that had been determined when I had placed it into another computer and it worked and ran the computer.Thank you for advice....I didn't know about the jumping the Green wire to Black to test a PSU.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Since you cleared the CMOS / BIOS. Reconfigure it. If you can get into the BIOS with the hdd connected.

The BIOS has to detect it before windows will see it.

dugimodo
31-08-2015, 05:25 PM
A bit late now, and I didn't mention it earlier because the things you tried should have sorted this anyway, But sometimes all it takes is unplugging the PC and leaving it for a few minutes. They can get themselves in a weird state that appears to be not entirely off but not really sleeping either where nothing works until power is completely removed. One of my PC's has done it a couple of times. Actually now that I type that I remember, no it hasn't lol. Turns out that one had a slightly loose graphics card connection that would occasionally cause the symptoms you describe, a combination of factors meaning the graphics card wasn't 100% secure in it's slot and sometimes lifted slightly. A quick jiggle to reseat it and away it would go. Maybe you should try it without the graphics card to see if it's a similar issue.

kioti
31-08-2015, 05:59 PM
The CPU thats on the mobo. You didnt install another more recent / up to date one did you?[/QUOTE]

No Speedy, The CPU I mentioned is the one I have had for past 6 years close enough. I have been considering upgrading and buying a Gigabyte or Asus mobo running the 990X Chipset, both have Crossfire capability and getting one of 2 AMD FX CPU in the 4GHz range with 8 or 16GB DDR3Corsair RAM. But have not done anything along those lines yet. Need more RAM as now I find in Task Manager that Firefox and Adobe Flash Player are chewing up close to 1GB of Memory while I am playing Criminal Case in Facebook. Absurd amount of Ram to play an Internet game.

kioti
31-08-2015, 06:06 PM
The CPU thats on the mobo. You didnt install another more recent / up to date one did you?[/QUOTE]

No Speedy, The CPU I mentioned is the one I have had for past 6 years close enough. I have been considering upgrading and buying a Gigabyte or Asus mobo running the 990X Chipset, both have Crossfire capability and getting one of 2 AMD FX CPU in the 4GHz range with 8 or 16GB DDR3Corsair RAM. But have not done anything along those lines yet. Need more RAM as now I find in Task Manager that Firefox and Adobe Flash Player are chewing up close to 1GB of Memory while I am playing Criminal Case in Facebook. Absurd amount of Ram to play an Internet game.

kioti
31-08-2015, 06:10 PM
]

Mo Speedy, no new CPU. The one I mentioned is the same one I have had for 6 years, maybe 7.

kioti
31-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Since you cleared the CMOS / BIOS. Reconfigure it. If you can get into the BIOS with the hdd connected.

The BIOS has to detect it before windows will see it.

Thanks Speedy. However I cannot get into BIOS at all. As I mentioned in a reply about eventually getting the computer to boot and it hanging at HDD detection, I have no keyboard being found for me to hit Del and Enter Setup (BIOS)

kioti
31-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Problem solved. Unable to get into BIOS and with the monitor screen having decided to turn black after 15 seconds of showing no HDD detection everytime I rebooted the computer, I decided to try getting at the insides using Linux GParted Live CD. So I power off computer, plug the power molex into the optic drive, reboot and push button to open the Drive tray to insert the GParted disc asap and on screen comes a Yellow and Blue window stating Checksum updating or something like that but definitely Checksum then POST screen detects both C HDD drive and Optic drive and computer opens to in 7. Now after being open for a few minutes computer has rebooted itself as is now at open Windows/ Desktop. Maybe I need to spend a bit of time setting it all up again and adding back the other hardware like HDDs and Graphics card.....one at a time......hell, I had even connected a PS2 keyboard to try getting BIOS to open as no USB keyboard would function.,,,,,,Now how to I mark this post as being solved:clap?? And thank you all for your time and advice.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2015, 08:43 PM
If its a checksum error it sounds like a BIOS prob. Or maybe a corrupt BIOS.

If it's still working update the BIOS. Just make sure you get the right BIOS for the revision of the mobo. Since, there's 4-5 revisions of this motherboard

BUT dont flash a BETA BIOS. Theyre beta for a reason

kioti
31-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks Speedy. Bios I have is FA. I had to get that BIOS back when I got this mobo and the AMD Athlon II x4 630 CPU and the RAM, back when I lived in Invercargill in about 2009 and was starting out on the Digital Media Animation Diploma at SIT (Southland Institute of Technology). I had fried the Gigabyte mobo I had at that time using Gigabyte Bios update and it had somehow as far as I could see had chosen the Chipset Drivers in its choice and I clicked the 'Do' tab and that was it. Black screen. So I am a big bit wary about updating BIOS......At that time i was signing into Press F1 as gza and lost contact and sign in details so I created a new user ID. You may remember me from when I lived in Auckland and was posting to Press F1 and you spent a good few hours on Christmas eve via TeamViewer clearing out a really messy Registry on my computer. That would have been in 2006/7. I will consider updating the BIOS to a modern one, hesitant because as you say there are 4-5 revisions of the mobo, and AIDA64 Extreme tells me it is rev4 and CPUID tells me otherwise. I will get the rev as is printed on the existing Mobo. I certainly will not be updating to a Beta version of BIOS. I remember you saying way back when I needed new BIOS to get the AMD CPU I have to seen so I could install 64 Bit W7. Thanks for the advice Oh, I am using the computer that had the problems now, only the 1 HDD (C Drive) connected and using onboard graphics for now. Tomorrow I will add back the other hardware piece at a time. I was toying with using the Dual BIOS capability of the mobo to try to see if that would repair the no HDD detection and was googling the How to Do it, when I decided to try seeing if I could get the GParted Live to open and run.

kioti
31-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Speedy and any other person who is interested and can comment... I mentioned differences between Aida64 and CPU-Z assessment of my motherboard and other data. Here are the differences, not to forget that Aida64 sees my motherboard as being socket AM2 and CPU-Z sees it as being AM3. Also, Aida64 shows level 3 cache for the AMD Athlon IIx4 630 CPU installed and the Propus version of the C:U that I have does not have any Level 3 cache....interestingly confusing; Anyway here are the two reports:

Aida64 Extreme

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 09/03/2009-RS740-SB710-6A669G0BC-00
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 v4 (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset AMD 740G, AMD K10

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 09/03/09
Video BIOS Date 02/14/08
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message AMD RS740 BIOS for GA-MA74GM-S2 FA
DMI BIOS Version FA

CPU-Z

DMI BIOS
vendor Award Software International Inc.
version FA
date 09/03/2009
ROM size 1024 KB

DMI System Information
manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
product GA-MA74GM-S2
version unknown
serial unknown
UUID {30464336-3934-4631-3036-3746FFFFFFFF}
SKU unknown
family unknown

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2015, 09:21 AM
The revision SHOULD also be etched on the mobo somewhere as well. Maybe near the middle of the mobo

There's a revision 4, 4.1, 4.3, and 4.4. And a revision 1, 2 and 3.

It maybe 4, thats the only revision 4, with FA in it. And it's the first BIOS. It matches the date you posted from 2009.

That revision is up to FK now (you're 10 BIOS'es behind)

BBCmicro
01-09-2015, 04:29 PM
will now strip out components of the sleeping PC

So it really was "sleeping"!

I could only think of Monty Python's parrot... :)

Removing the power for a while is good advice. I couldn't get Mrs Micro's Vista laptop to show anything so we bought a Pavilion k009tu

Then I discovered that removing the battery pack cured the problem :blush:

(We are very happy with the Pavilion, which I've converted to W10. It only cost $580 from DSE and is hugely more functional than tablets costing nearly twice that. I think DSE were throwing them out because buyers wanted W10 already set up. The touchscreen is a lot better than a touchpad for someone like me who has never had a laptop.)

kioti
10-09-2015, 01:18 PM
BBCmicro, Sleeping Parrot indeed That laptop sounds like a good buy.

kioti
10-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Speedy. I found the revision on the mobo, it is 4 and I downloaded the latest BIOS from here http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Gigabyte/Gigabyte-GA-MA74GM-S2-rev-40-BIOS-FH.shtml#download.
I have not updated it yet but shall do it today. Hope it all goes well, the existing BIOS I will backup to same USB flash drive as I have the update on.

Speedy Gonzales
10-09-2015, 07:24 PM
You should get it from the gigabyte site. NOT any site

kioti
10-09-2015, 10:12 PM
You should get it from the gigabyte site. NOT any site
Speedy Gonzales, I agree, I was not to eager to use the BIOS that I had downloaded from Softpedia so I I did get the BIOS from Gigabyte and it was the FK version that was chosen. I had done a good bit of Googling and watching videos/ reading info on doing the BIOS update, in 3 ways. What I did was download a GB Utility Tool that used @BIOS. I used that tool to backup the existing FA BIOS and then used the option to get the BIOS from Gigabyte and instal...done with Windows open. I am glad to say that all turned out well but there was a moment when Computer rebooted, it showed the BIOS as being FK in POST but then it hung at the next screen saying Loading OS. I gave it a while and decided that I will have to enter BIOS and reset the Boot order,,,it had changed and was set to boot from a HDD that was not the drive holding OS etc. All went sweet as when I made the changes and rebooted. Sorry for my late reply and thank you again (y)