PDA

View Full Version : New broadband issue

gooner25
25-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Hi all, I am new here and want to say thanks for giving me he chance to ask this question.

Long story short, just moved into a rental, telephone/adsl point already there, signed up with naked broadband with Flip, bough my own D-Link ADS750 ADSL2+ modem router, connected, can get internet but cant open emails, can see my inbox in hotmail but cant access any of them, cant download videos, full pages don't appear, cant get into internet banking, cant access hotmail. Went on for 2 weeks and Flip had no idea. Cancelled. Signed up with Spark naked broadband, kept my modem - bugger, same issue. Tried different laptops, different cables, direct to router and wi-fi, same thing. Can go on stuff page and read other pages from there but no video. ADSL light on steady on modem, wi fi lights flash when accessing, internet light on steady. Please can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

nmercer
25-08-2015, 07:23 AM
does it work if you use someone elses internet or you tether WiFi to your smartphone etc?

dugimodo
25-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Are you sure you've set up the modem correctly, most ISP's have a guide.
https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-email/getstarted/broadband-settings-for-third-party-modems/

You could try resetting your DNS settings or using Googles, it could be a problem with that, also do you have more than one device and are they all having issues?
http://www.pctools.com/kb/article/protection-software-resetting-your-dns-settings-519.html

25-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Try another modem/router .
Also, run an adsl speedtest of one of the speedtest sites & make sure you have usable speed, up & down

Also, try the laptop at another site if possible.

Kame
25-08-2015, 10:33 AM
What device or devices have you tried?

More devices to check if they all experiencing the same problems to link it to just the internet as the issue.

Issue sounds like it could be browser related or a program that could interfere like a firewall, addons, etc. Try alternative browsers, disable firewalls, etc.

Cheers,

KK

Lurking
25-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Bit like our wireless modem daughter set up, cable was toooo short, now have an unnecessarily long cable.

lurking.

Safari
25-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Check the MTU setting in your modem as if it is incorrect it can cause issues with secure sites amongst others.
Set it to 1492 and see if that helps.

gooner25
25-08-2015, 06:57 PM
I have tried other laptop, mobile phone, smart tv. Funny but the tv will open the email - slowly, but won't open any videos. I have tried disabling firewall, avg etc. Have tried different browsers, different cables too.
Still the same. Yes I have set to Sparks recommended settings too.Yes MTU setting 1492. What I do notice in modem status is I{V6 status is not connected, does that mean anything?

dugimodo
25-08-2015, 08:09 PM
IPV6 nope, that's not important. What speed is the router syncing at ?

Clod
25-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Did Spark give you their free modem/router ? If so have you tried it ? Unless I missed it you've tried changing everything but the router.

gooner25
26-08-2015, 06:51 AM
No its our own router on a Spark naked package as we are in a short term let. The router is compatible and top of the range but I agree I should try another but don't have one.

wainuitech
26-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Sometimes there are firmware upgrades for modems/Routers that will fix known bugs.

BUT doing a search for the one you listed "D-Link ADS750 ADSL2+ modem router" it doesn't even exist, not even on D-Links site - sure you got the model correct ?

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2015, 01:14 PM
"Top of the range" but none of us have ever heard of it.
I think you mean "Cost me an arm and a leg and I'm gonna be pissed if I've bought a dud"

wratterus
26-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Damn Chill we need that +1 button. ;)

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Damn Chill we need that +1 button. ;)

It's a shame the new forum owners never held true to their word about giving this place a little TLC

gooner25
30-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Sorry for delayed response. Well I got it sorted and yes you were right. I had doubts about the modem router so went to warehouse stationary and bought a T-Link one on special at $69.90. Installed CD, followed setup, and it was perfect straight off. Have boxed up the expensive one and will head back to noel Leemings for a possible refund/credit with my long story. For those who couldn't find the modem I bought, it is a D-Link AC750 Dual Band Wireless Modem Router SL-2877AL. Thanks everyone for your help and useful comments.

gooner25
30-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Sorry, new modem router is TP-Link W8960N and its perfect

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Awesome, glad you got it sorted!

I award 10 points to Gryffindor, for me being right on the money :D

dugimodo
31-08-2015, 04:39 PM
You can't award your own points, that's a conflict of interest.
TP-Link seems to be the best option if you want a cheaper device, they tend to have a lot of features for a reasonable price without being as unreliable as other cheap options.

After my Asus + Technicolor spark freebie combo setup played up on me I replaced them both with a TP-Link that did everything I wanted in one box and it's been rock solid ever since. I actually asked for advice on here then very recklessly ignored it in favour of a cheaper option :)

(Slight side track here, skip it if you want to stay on topic...)
Actually if anyone wants an Asus N55U to play with PM me, I'll send it for the price of postage. It may or may not be faulty, has had the firmware flashed a couple of times and probably has the config all mucked up but it is a very nice dual band wi-fi ADSL2+ router that was 100% reliable for well over a year despite my dodgy setup. I had the technicolor in bridge mode and the Asus doing all the routing but when it fell over it would take hours to get back, last time I gave up. Thankfully that only happened twice in 18 months.

Could be a good router for someone with the skills to set it up correctly, and if not it might make a decent dual band access point. I can't be bothered with it and am not going back to ADSL2+
I think I actually had some dodgy dual NAT thing going on but and was using beta firmware to enable WAN functionality but upgraded it before I gave up. I fully intend to go fibre in the not too distant future and will look at setting things up properly when I do that.