PDA

View Full Version : Missing RAM

26-12-2001, 11:45 PM
I have installed a new 256 MB (PC133) 168 pin, 8 chip DIMM RAM module into my motherboard and the PC is only recognising 128 MB.

I have checked my mother board manual (Jetway 513CF)and it says the board will take upto 512 MB. There are two slots on the motherboard and I have placed the module into the slot from which I removed the old 64 MB DIMM module. Both memory modules (old and new) have 8 chips on one side but pins on both sides. The old module is (speed?)PC100. The new module (from Dick Smith)is PC133. I can not find anything obvious in the bios setup and the motherboard manual gives no indication of any required changes. I have tried to get info from Jetway in the past without any luck.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

27-12-2001, 12:31 AM
As your motherboard would take up to 512MB RAM, I would assume it is using the Intel 80815 chipset.

Try to bring your new RAM bought in Dicksmith back to the shop and change the ram to a double-sided 256MB RAM. The motherboard might just take double-sided RAM for that size of RAM.

Hope this could help you.

27-12-2001, 12:31 AM
As your motherboard would take up to 512MB RAM, I would assume it is using the Intel 80815 chipset.

Try to bring your new RAM bought in Dicksmith back to the shop and change the ram to a double-sided 256MB RAM. The motherboard might just take double-sided RAM for that size of RAM.

Hope this could help you.

27-12-2001, 06:28 AM
Well...if your mb is J531CF its running on SIS 530/5595 Chipset.

Anyways i had similar sort of prob few wks ago. I had to return the memory to DSE and get one from oemcomputers. I suggest dont use the cheapyy one from DSE and get one from Digicom or somewhere else. They alll basically the same price anyway.

It shouldnt matter whether its PC100 or PC133 cause the memory will fall back on sys bus speed. Its the memory brand that plays up sometimes so just try using another memory.

If it doesnt then try tweaking your SDRAM CLK Selectable from the BIOS and see if it works for the PC133 speed

27-12-2001, 09:04 PM
The answer to the 256MB recognition problem when using DSE Ram chips is to buy the 16 chip version (Cat XH8016) which is double sided. It appears to be an addressing problem on mostly older motherboards that limits recognition to 128MB.

I had the same problem and DSE swapped the chips no questions asked. Thereafter the full 256MB was available.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)