PDA

View Full Version : What to do with W7/W8 recovery drive partitions

kahawai chaser
24-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Because upgraded to W10, not sure what to do with the GB's of W7/W8 recovery partitions on our laptops and netbooks. Would it be easy to create and replace the partitions with W10 backups. Or just delete the partitions? (assuming W10 can be easily restored/rolled back somehow) Or reclaim space or what? Thanks...

nmercer
24-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Personally what I do it use the "create a recovery drive" option in control panel under the old version of Windows, and store that USB key away for safekeeping

The recovery process on Windows 10 reconstructs the OS from the \windows\winsxs folder structure, not from a recovery image. In fact, the recovery environment doesn’t support recovery images.

kahawai chaser
25-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Will do the USB recovery drive backup.

Paul.Cov
27-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Personally, I'd hang onto them for the meantime, unless you're 100% sure that you'll be happy to keep W10 at the time they start demanding your cash, at the end of your years free trial.

Has a w10 price been announced, or is this still a surprise to come later?

pcuser42
27-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Personally, I'd hang onto them for the meantime, unless you're 100% sure that you'll be happy to keep W10 at the time they start demanding your cash, at the end of your years free trial.

Has a w10 price been announced, or is this still a surprise to come later?

The Windows 10 upgrade is NOT a trial. It is free for life.

wainuitech
27-08-2015, 10:28 PM
The Windows 10 upgrade is NOT a trial. It is free for life.Spot on :thumbs:
Many people got the wrong idea, they think you have to pay it after a year.

What its actually is, is if you upgrade from W7 or W8.1 BEFORE 29th July 2016 is completely free for the life of the computer. If decided to wait till AFTER 29th July 2016 THEN you have to pay for it.

As for pricing - its roughly the same price as Windows 8.1 (both version std or Pro) give or take a few $$- depending whose selling it. Sold several copies for people who wanted to change their out dated XP computers.

pcuser42
27-08-2015, 11:09 PM
As for pricing - its roughly the same price as Windows 8.1 (both version std or Pro) give or take a few $$- depending whose selling it. Sold several copies for people who wanted to change their out dated XP computers.I've noticed PB are selling Windows 8.1 for about $10 less than Windows 10, probably to get rid of old stock. You could buy the cheaper OS then just get the free upgrade for the same thing :p

mzee
27-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Because upgraded to W10, not sure what to do with the GB's of W7/W8 recovery partitions on our laptops and netbooks. Would it be easy to create and replace the partitions with W10 backups. Or just delete the partitions? (assuming W10 can be easily restored/rolled back somehow) Or reclaim space or what? Thanks...

If you made an Image of your original OS before "upgrading" (questionable) to W10 you don't need any restoration files, scrap the lot.