PDA

View Full Version : W10 <> W8.1

Poppa John
23-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi All

When installing W10 the blurb said that it was possible to revert to W8.1. Is W8.1 stored away in this computer, up in a cloud folder, or a complete new download from MS?

Is it possible to get at W8.1 somehow & pick out a program or two to put on W10?.. Hindsight suggests that I should have made an ISO copy & did a dual boot. Too late now to get & keep a copy of W8.1.

On more thing When W10 went on it was very fast. There have been two updates since then & this comp is slower, anybody else find this. I have done a cleanout so there are no baddies here but it is slower still. PJ

wainuitech
23-08-2015, 04:30 PM
When changing to W10, it makes a folder called windows.old.

If you had programs already installed as long as they are compatible they will have come over with the change.

Programs need to be installed, its next to impossible to "copy" them to a new install.

If you wanted to roll back to 8.1 you have to do it within 30 days of the install, Via Setting / Update and Security / Recovery - there will be a option to roll the OS back to how it was. (as long as the upgrade folders have not been removed)

Seen a couple fail though, they got part way through, and simply stop :( cant go forward or backward) pays to make a complete Image first in case something goes wrong.

Poppa John
23-08-2015, 05:04 PM
W..Now you have reminded me that I did an Image of this comp before installing W10. What I was thinking was to try & recover the Speech Recognition. I have looked thro W10 & there is an app, when I filled in the application to create an acct , it kept asking for the correct 10 digit phone number. What the hell? I wonder if this is an American phone No it wants.

Still haven't worked out the shortcut problem I have. PJ

coldot
24-08-2015, 09:18 AM
.. it kept asking for the correct 10 digit phone number...
PJ, assuming that you first installed it, that may be your own home phone number it wants: e.g. 64 9 123 4567 country code, area code. local number.

eggshell
24-08-2015, 11:07 AM
PJ, assuming that you first installed it, that may be your own home phone number it wants: e.g. 64 9 123 4567 country code, area code. local number.

Not only in the US but a lot of Companies in NZ ask for that 10 digit no.

PJ just enter the 10 digits no spaces between.

lurking.

Poppa John
24-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Ok ...using the 10 digits above, I got into the program only to finf that it was only a trial. So that's that. Thanks people. PJ