PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 popup

Greg
22-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Each time I restart or wake up my PC I get a nuisance popup "Microsoft recommends that you reserve your copy of Windows 10". Naturally I close it every time as I don't intend upgrading. How can I stop this?

Thanks.

Bryan
22-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Best to Google it. Basically you have to remove the KB number from the MS update advice and the you can R Click the right hand taskbar icon and it will then remove the icon. Google the problem, there are several advices there.

GameJunkie
24-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Each time I restart or wake up my PC I get a nuisance popup "Microsoft recommends that you reserve your copy of Windows 10". Naturally I close it every time as I don't intend upgrading. How can I stop this?

Thanks.

funny you mention this.

I came across a guide on another forum on what to do

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1081413/pg1

Greg
24-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys. But both your suggestions don't apply to my issue - my Google search came up with endless dross about the icon and/or how to upgrade. I'll take a screen shot next time I restart.

Bryan
25-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Look in your installed updates. You should look for KB3035583. Uninstall it and you will be asked to reboot. Do this and if anything like my PC, all you woes will have gone away!

nmercer
25-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Look in your installed updates. You should look for KB3035583. Uninstall it and you will be asked to reboot. Do this and if anything like my PC, all you woes will have gone away!

apparently the suggestions to do that previously doesn't apply to his issue

Lawrence
25-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Plenty of info on how to remove the upgrade notifications http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

Alexandersim
26-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Apparently Msoft has added this notification in many different parts as a user data protection practice. I also am looking for a solution and the video posted above solve it for me (I did not do it myself, my partner did it based on the video and it is not there anymore)

Greg
26-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Here's my latest:

I need to kill this bastard MS popup somehow (the text has changed somewhat in the message today). And as mentioned... it ain't in my taskbar.

ps - the edit time is wrong... PressF1 minders... your clock needs fixing!!!!!!

wratterus
26-08-2015, 04:50 PM
The link from Lawrence is almost certainly exactly what you want - did you read it right through? I'm 99% sure that the update will still be causing that pop up for you. it would be a first if it wasn't. Did you actually look for KB3035583?

Just go to Programs and Features, then 'View Installed Updates'. Search for KB3035583, remove it, reboot, then search for updates, then when KB3035583 comes back, right click on it, and choose 'hide update'. That should sort it out.

wratterus
27-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Any luck Greg? Am interested to see what the story is here...

Agent_24
27-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Wasn't there some malware posing as a Windows 10 upgrade tool? Or was it a phishing email? Can't remember now.

Greg
28-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks - just did the search now and no such item is found.

Really it's not anything more than a nuisance. Just a bloody nuisance which I hate because I like to have at least a reasonable amount of control of my own computer.
Any luck Greg? Am interested to see what the story is here...

I'll do a malware/virus/trojan scan to see if anything comes up.

Renegade
28-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I've yet to see any Windows 10 crap on my Win 7 install. A few months ago the ESET firewall started to ask about allowing GWXDector.exe access, so I blocked it.
See if you can block Win/Sys32/GWX/GWXDetector.exe

wainuitech
28-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Here's my latest:

I need to kill this bastard MS popup somehow (the text has changed somewhat in the message today) The reason the message has changed is because W10 has already fully downloaded to your C drive. If you look you'll see the hidden folder $Windows.~BT Its windows 10, anywhere from 4GB upwards.

Theres several ways on sites, haven't tried them all yet but two combined looks like it it should work.

method 3 on how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/ (http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/) At the bottom is a file to run the reg alterations ( I have checked its contents and it right) - or direct link http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2015/06/Disable-GWX-in-Windows.zip It contains the alteration and the undo in case you change your mind.

THEN you need to clean out the whats already there. ( from another tech in Canada)

Take Windows Update off automatic -- Never check

Task Manager, processes, find and end GWX.exe

Control Panel, Uninstall a program, View installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar completes its long trip to the right

Now, search for KB3035583, uninstall it

Restart the PC

Disk cleanup, do the 2nd step for System -- this takes a while

You should find a file there that is anywhere from 4 to 8 Gigabytes. It is the Win10 downloaded file. Put a check mark on that item.

OK, Delete Files

Restart

The startup will take a long time while it finishes cleanup

Just adding to that as a precaution, if you do a windows update manually and KB3035583 shows again - Hide it.

Haven't actually tried it yet so no idea if it will work - but looks like it should. :)

Greg
28-08-2015, 08:47 PM
Just adding to that as a precaution, if you do a windows update manually and KB3035583 shows again - Hide it.
Haven't actually tried it yet so no idea if it will work - but looks like it should. :)

Thanks mate. That KB3035583 doesn't show now, nor did earlier. But I will try the suggestion and report back.

[edit] I found it after all. Will see what happens after I reboot.

wainuitech
28-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks mate. That KB3035583 doesn't show now, nor did earlier. But I will try the suggestion and report back.

[edit] I found it after all. Will see what happens after I reboot. Fingers, Legs and eyes crossed :D

Greg
29-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks again folks. Problem solved. First thing I did this morning was manually check updates and lo and behold, blimmin KB3035583 was wanting to be installed. Ha!

wainuitech
29-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Persistent we thing isn't it :D

Bryan
29-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Greg, just make sure that you hide it. Otherwise, you will get all the problems over again.

Greg
05-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I forgot to do that. Now done.
Greg, just make sure that you hide it. Otherwise, you will get all the problems over again.

Neil F
06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Log f on to www.techsupportalert.com ( ie GIZMO) and read about GWX Stopper.

That Utility apparently kills the popup without you having to understand "techo stuff"

It is free. I agree the popup is annoying and reading all the comments on this forum ref 10
I have no immediate desire to get Windows 10.

Good luck
Neil

excelsa
08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
This worked for me - and it was a relatively easy and quick process.

How to get rid of the 'Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready' lock

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2974479/microsoft-windows/how-to-get-rid-of-the-your-upgrade-to-windows-10-is-ready-lock-on-windows-update-in-win7-and-8-1.html

Basically you've got to find and remove the updates that put the Windows 10 nag screen in place (this page tells you how)
Then when you've removed them you have to tell Windows update to hide the offending updates when it tries to get you to install them again.

Hope it helps someone