PDA

View Full Version : IP Addresses

26-12-2001, 09:39 PM
Hey people, I know that IP addresses change everytime you log onto your ISP, or go online, but does anyone know if theres a way to set the computer so it always connects at a IP address set, e.g it always connect as a ip address i've set such as 210.55.167. Anyone know how to set it up?

Thanks in advance,

26-12-2001, 09:52 PM
No I don't think you can get Static IPs with dial up. And I don't think you can always get into that set.

What's the reason why you need to get a specific set address?

There a programs out there that can give you a static address for dynamic addresses. Though it won't be the 210.55.167 it would be one of their IPs they have available to you

26-12-2001, 10:30 PM
Well static IP address's are available from ISP's but are rarely given out on Dialup accounts. You generaly have to have a very good reason for having one. And wanting to run your own server is not one of them.

There are a couple of programs that can imitate a static IP. Systems like DynIP or DNS2Go. What these do is install a peice of software on your machine that updates their DNS servers with your IP address as it changes. This is fine for running very basic servers except for DNS.

http://www.dynip.com/
http://deerfield.com/

31-12-2001, 08:11 PM
If you want a staitic IP get a cable modem! (A)DSL may provide you with static IP as well (i can't guarantee this, as this seems to be up to the whim of the powers that be for no good reason)
if cable a modem seems expensive, consider the cost of the second phone line you use 24/7 plus your dial up plan, and i'm sure the technical advantages, and the extra speed will out weigh any differance in price. Why do you need fixed IP any way?

31-12-2001, 08:16 PM
I'd just throught I'd try out if when I have a computer on a 'particular' IP, then I can tell my older computer to connect to that IP, that way, I might not get charged extra for having 2 computers accessing internet using same account.

thanks for your reply anyway

happy new year ;-)