PDA

View Full Version : Can't go beyond browsing two links from any website (page not found)

Renmoo
19-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Hi all,

I bought a laptop for my parents (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKLEN59441894I&name=Lenovo-Notebook-15.6-Intel-Celeron-N2840-4GB-500GB). We are encountering a very strange problem and I am trying to solve it for them remotely.

When a website is accessed (e.g. PressF1), if you click "Forum", the web page can be loaded successfully. If "Home" is clicked, the homepage is retrieved. However, any subsequent links will return "page not found"; this applies to all websites and to both Internet Explorer and Firefox. In other words, only two links (or two pages) can be loaded from a given website.

I tried to run a ping test side-by-sde (ping www.google.com -n 10000) while attempting to browse the Internet. Ping was continuously showing data sent / data received last night even when the "page not found" error was shown.

The laptop is connected by WiFi. DNS settings have been set to OpenDNS configuration.

Help?

Morgenmuffel
19-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Are there other computers at the same address? connecting by wifi

What happens if you use the ISPs DNS server, does it make a difference

19-08-2015, 11:25 AM
things to try

reset internet settings : control panel, internet
uninstall and 3rd party AV or firewall software (uninstall, not just disable)
try googles DNS : 8.8.8.8
try uninstalling the crapware/bloatware that comes preinstalled on most laptops , including Lenovos spyware/addware
are they connecting to their wifi & not the neighbours (it happens)
connect via network cable ,a bit hard to do that remotely for sure :-)

who is the ISP ?

Renmoo
20-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Are there other computers at the same address? connecting by wifi
Yes there are other computers connected to the same WiFi.

What happens if you use the ISPs DNS server, does it make a difference
Nope, does not make a difference.

Renmoo
20-08-2015, 06:34 AM
reset internet settings : control panel, internet
Haven't tried that. Will give it a shot tonight.

uninstall and 3rd party AV or firewall software (uninstall, not just disable)
Got rid of McAfee - didn't make a difference. No firewall running at present.[/quote]

try googles DNS : 8.8.8.8
Will try that tonight.

try uninstalling the crapware/bloatware that comes preinstalled on most laptops , including Lenovos spyware/addware
Did that as much as possible.

are they connecting to their wifi & not the neighbours (it happens)
I didn't consider that possibility. I will have to look into that.

connect via network cable ,a bit hard to do that remotely for sure :-)
One thing that clicked in my head is... what if my dad has connected the laptop to both wired LAN and wireless? That should wreck havoc with the connection, but it is strange that ping could keep sending and receiving data without a glitch while the Internet browsers are playing up.

who is the ISP ?
Telecom, or should I say..... Spark.

Cheers :)

Renmoo
20-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Update: The laptop WAS connected to both Wired LAN and WiFi at the same time. Wired LAN was disconnected and voila!

Cheers morgenmuffel and 1101 :)

KarameaDave
21-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Posted in error, should have read the final post, sorry.

lmohanarun
23-08-2015, 03:41 PM
If this situation occur for someone

and they are on the same LAN / Wifi for example

go to www.whatismyip.com
copy that IP
and then check reachability to your IP
paste IP Here
http://centralops.net/co/?_body=Traceroute.vbs.asp

If it reaches somewhere near to your IP, then your ISP is not the problem.

Try running Malware protection software.

L.Mohan Arun
mohanarun dotcom

linw
24-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Still weird as windows should cope with both connected. I have often had both wifi and ethernet connected. There is a hierarchy and windows should choose the top one that should be ethernet for most circumstances.

Chilling_Silence
24-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Windows can _definitely_ cope with both connected, for sure! How do I know? I'm doing it now, wired in to the back of a wireless router AND connect to it wirelessly...

I would be more inclined to still look at the router itself as being the fault... I'm wondering where you set OpenDNS? On the router itself or on the PC?