PDA

View Full Version : usb to hard drive adptor question, please

Tomy101
18-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Hii all, my laptop is toast but need to get some files off the hard drive, I believe you can do this with a USB to h/drive adapter, I don't know what type to buy that is suitable, so I hope someone can help me out.
the laptop was a HP compaq nx8820........ i pulled the hard drive out and the description is as follows.

Seagate moments 5400 2
model - ST9808211A

appreciate any help.
thanks

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Well it looks like it's IDE not SATA. If you've got a desktop with IDE on it connect it to that

Or it'll be a USB to IDE adapter

Tomy101
18-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Yes I have got a desktop with ide on it, thanks very much Speedy and have a great day.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2015, 06:47 PM
No probs but make sure the main hdd is the bootdisk in the BIOS. Or it may try and boot from the IDE once you connect it

Tomy101
18-08-2015, 07:29 PM
No worries, thanks mate

Kame
18-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Kinda OT but for SATAs.

I usually buy external drives here from the warehouse and break them open to put the drive in the computer, around $60-80. Cheapest option in this town for me if it's urgent. Anyways the adapters in them can be connected to any SATA drive and used as an external drive, nothing else required for it to be read, as in, no need to format it as long as the OS or whatever accesses it understands the file system on it and they are USB3 capable.

I think if you look for an adapter specifically just for that purpose, you're looking at roughly half the price but you'll end up with a spare drive and the adapter for a little bit more.

If you are careful, you can save the case, but me... well i dont see the need for the case, i dont throw my drives around.

Cheers,

KK

19-08-2015, 10:14 AM
I usually buy external drives here from the warehouse and break them open to put the drive in the computer, around $60-80. Cheapest option in this town for me if it's urgent. Anyways the adapters in them can be connected to any SATA drive

nope
Youve been lucky
Some DO NOT have sata connectors at all.Its a known issue & a real pain when trying to recover data

Kame
19-08-2015, 12:30 PM
I've been doing this since external SCSI drives. Luck has never been a factor but adjusting with times has.

Cheers,

KK