PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk Skylake

DeSade
18-08-2015, 05:40 PM
I only see two CPU's available so far, one i5 and one i7 and the prices seem to suggest mid-range.

Any thoughts on Skylake over Halswell-E

icow
18-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Will make DDR4 more accessible once 1151 socket boards drop in price (vs x99 boards). So that's good I guess.

dugimodo
18-08-2015, 06:40 PM
If you have a need for 6 cores stick with haswell-e, if you are a gamer or normal user then 4 cores are enough.
I have my skylake parts ordered, should be built by the weekend :) I almost backed out and went with devils canyon for the savings and near identical performance but decided I didn't want to buy an outdated platform.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=25026
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=25088
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=25180

My first new gaming build in a couple of years so I'm keen to get it built.

Driftwood
18-08-2015, 07:06 PM
What cooler are you going to use on that?

DeSade
18-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Enough is a dirty word in computer speak :)

dugimodo
18-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Enough is a dirty word in computer speak :)
Totally agree, but we all have our price threshold somewhere and as a gamer there is nothing to be gained from haswell-e unless you are into SLI which I'm not. As it is I don't need an i7 (or to upgrade at all) but I'm getting one.

dugimodo
18-08-2015, 10:10 PM
What cooler are you going to use on that?

Hyper 212 evo, already have it spare. Might get something better later if I decide to overclock.

DeSade
18-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Would you consider water-cooling?
I am thinking about it this time, or maybe just a sealed CPU watercooler....

dugimodo
18-08-2015, 11:12 PM
A 240 or 280mm closed loop cooler would work well in my case and it is tempting but performance wise only as good as much cheaper air coolers so I'm not sure.
Might depend how well the 212 works.

bk T
19-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Do you guys have any problems in installing the 'back plate' when using third-party coolers? Not all cases have the correct openings underneath the CPU making life not so comfortable without having to modify the case (cutting bigger holes).

My Asus Z97-A doesn't align nicely with my CoolerMaster CM690 II. That's why my Hyper 212 evo is sitting in the box to give way for the stock cooler. I inherited this cooler from my previous built.

dugimodo
19-08-2015, 08:16 AM
I have had problems bk T but my newer cases have been designed to accommodate coolers better and have a very large square hole. From memory the 690 II has a rectangular hole that was just large enough for a Hyper 212 provided the CPU socket is in exactly the right place whereas my corsair 350D (mATX) has a square hole about 2-3 times as large as does my bitfenix prodigy (itx).

So it's all about case design, and the 690 II is an older one. Amusingly my itx case has more room for a large cooler, space for a 200mm intake fan, and 3 more 3.5" bays than my mATX case. I've been through a few and they all have good and bad points, I had a 690 and liked it except for the side mounted buttons, moved to a storm scout for the carry handle and liked it better, then went big with a storm trooper (awesome case but huge), then swung the other way and went tiny itx cube style Silverstone SUGO SG06 found that too limiting, grew to the prodigy, decided itx was too small and went for the corsair :) I've settled in the middle now, mATX is small enough without too many compromises.

bk T
19-08-2015, 08:51 AM
The 690 II has quite large opening but just doesn't align with my Z97-A MB, other than that, it's a nice case, quite good air flow.

dugimodo
19-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Does the 690 II still have the buttons and USB on the side like the older one did? that was my main complaint on an otherwise really nice case.
The CM storm scout is similar but has a carry handle and all the controls are on top and angled, perfect for under the desk where my PC lives. Kinda wish I'd kept that one.

bk T
19-08-2015, 11:02 AM
The USB and buttons are on the top. I would prefer them to be on the side rather than on the top which collects dusts.

dugimodo
19-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Got my new hardware, idle temps in BIOS are 18C so that's impressive.
Just left it updating windows at the moment, no time to benchmark anything or do any burn in tests until tonight.

One thing , Holy Snapping ring turtles Batman does installing from a USB 3.0 windows 10 flash drive to an M.2 SSD go fast compared to using a DVD.
Windows installed and running in less than half an hour.

Also when will manufacturers stop using those horrible bloody tabs on the back plate that make getting the motherboard positioned such a pain in the butt.
I had to remove the case fan so I could see what was getting in the way and then bend a couple of them out of the way.

DeSade
19-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Sounds nice
Looking forward to the tests.

bk T
19-08-2015, 04:22 PM
WOW, idling at 18 C it's beautiful.

dugimodo
19-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Prime 95 20 mins in, varies from 55 - 60C across all 4 cores
If I run furmark at the same time and get the GPU up to 82C then the CPU hits 65C

Stock settings, clocks at 4ghz with all 4 cores at 100%
Virtually silent too, the BIOS doesn't seem to think the fans need cranking up at these temperatures.

So the verdict is, hyper 212 evo is pretty good for stock settings. I'm not sure I'd try much of an overclock with it but I'm happy with this performance.

BBCmicro
19-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Apparently the Z170 mITX boards are delayed until Sept/Oct, waiting for the gamers to get out of the way...

I'm holding out for the GA-Z170N-wifi. In addition to an M.2 socket for the included Wifi, this particular mITX has another M.2 socket on the bottom that I'm going to use for the OS