PDA

View Full Version : Flash TP-Link TL-WR1043ND V2.1 with Gargoyle

wratterus
18-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi all (Mainly Chill haha). I've got a situation where I want to setup a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with gargoyle for traffic monitoring and management. It's been AGES since I've done one of these, and never with a ver 2.x of that router. Looking on gargoyle's site, there seems to be a heap of info regarding bugs with it, WAN port sometimes not working etc.

Just wondering if someone can confirm what firmware I should be using.

Thanks heaps!

wratterus
18-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Flag that - maximum durr - I was reading the OpenWRT wiki by mistake. Went smooth as - just had to rename the .bin file, I assume it was too long.

Sorry about that... :o

psycik
18-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Flag that - maximum durr - I was reading the OpenWRT wiki by mistake. Went smooth as - just had to rename the .bin file, I assume it was too long.

Sorry about that... :o

Did you go for the latest gargoyle? the 1.7.2? I had a previous version .0 or .1 and found that after about a week of running, it would get itself into a boot loop.

I hadn't tried the later one.

wratterus
18-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Yeah, 1.7.2. Will have to see how stable it is. So far so good.

psycik
18-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Yeah, 1.7.2. Will have to see how stable it is.

let us know if you experience that issue. I believe it was solved. I just didn't want to go through the the upgrade again.

Chilling_Silence
18-08-2015, 05:18 PM
The newer Gargoyle based off Chaos Calmer is having issues with WAN throughput over 100mbps (I think most routers bottom out around 140mbps). Not an issue for the 1043NDv2 given the port is only 100mbps anyways, but something to keep in mind. Older version based off Barrier Breaker doesn't have the problem.

The issue was resolved with v1.8 of the hardware I believe, something about LAN requests leaking onto the WAN and you previously had to upgrade the bootloader by upgrading to a non-english firmware and then to OpenWRT / Gargoyle. Not a problem any more though with the v1.8 and v2.* hardware.

So yeah, tl;dr rename firmware file to "gargoyle.bin", flash, reboot, enjoy! :)

wratterus
18-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Jolly marvelous.

wratterus
19-08-2015, 04:58 PM
I installed it today, and everything is running great, so time will tell if it locks up.

Chill, is there a guide around somewhere that details setting it up in bridge mode? I wasn't able to get it working with an old D-link modem - the d-link did have a 'bridge mode' but when setup I couldn't get things working.

Thanks.

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Like a Wireless bridge mode?
Can't say I've tried sorry...

wratterus
20-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Nah just bridge mode to the modem, so the modem passes through all the details to the Gargoyle router, to avoid double NAT.

I have done if before with other modems/routers but this time it just didn't want to work for some reason.

Chilling_Silence
20-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Ah I've done that a few times, first with a Linksys AM300 in half-bridge
Secondly with a DrayTek DV120 or a DV130 (VDSL2) in PPPoA -> PPPoE Passthrough mode.

The method all depends on your device that's in front of the Gargoyle router :)