PDA

View Full Version : Custom PC purchase advice and guidance appreciated

Krakenrising
16-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Hi

My PC is old, the left audio doesn't work and the monitor starts up purple or pink on boot up. I have been given permission to retire it so I am in the market for a new one. My price point is about $2,600 (not including monitor or keyboard or other accessories). I am seeking advice on the best way forward.

It is used solely for gaming.
Assembling a computer is not in my skill set (did it once and the stress nearly killed me. It did not POST (and I nearly died).

My thoughts

An ultra-wide screen monitor would be nice as it would give my more screen real estate and at this price point a 4K-targeted system is simply not feasible. So the system needs to have the ability to support that workload.
In the future I would like to SLI the graphics card as a low cost bump in capability so a good power supply and support for SLI would be appreciated.
Water cooling may be good as it is quieter and this will be near our lounge and my wife.
As an indication of use recent games include Farcry 4 (hate those honey badgers) and Witcher 3 (hate those broken rakes).

Two custom PCs I found

$2,299 PB Tech: Project Ariana Black Edition, Powered by Intel Unlocked Core i5 4690K with Premium Watercooling(overclocked to 4.2Ghz),8GB RAM,256GB SSD with 1TB HDD,DVDRW,Nvidia GTX 970 4GB VGA card

or

$2,528 PB Tech PB 6506 GreenLantern Gaming System Intel Haswell i7 4790 3.6GHz with Liquid Cooling by XSPC / 8GB DDR3 RAM / 240G SSD with 2TB HDD Storage/ Latest GTX970 4GB Gaming Card

I would welcome thoughts on:

1) These custom builds and their merits or otherwise.
2) Any other similar or better custom builds.
3) My assumption on water cooling
4) My assumption on an widescreen 21:9 monitor as the way forward for gaming.

Any other suggestions that may be useful in my decision making.

Cheers

Krakenrising

icow
16-08-2015, 09:36 PM
If I was spending that kind of money on a PC I wouldn't settle for anything less than a GTX 980 (your looking at a 980, 980ti or an R9 Fury). The GPU is the most important component in a gaming PC, buy the best one you can afford is usually the rule of thumb. I also wouldn't bother with an i7 if I was gaming on the pc exclusively, no real gains to be had from hyper-threading. Water cooling probably isn't worth your money either considering the GPU is almost always going to be bottleneck so overclocking your CPU will likely not yield any really performance gains (vs spending the cost of water cooling on a better GPU).

I threw this together quickly. (http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/BBRbgs) If you take/email a parts list to a computer store they can usually put those parts together into a system. E.g. Computer Lounge will do it for $150 (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=7104). Kind of pricey, but that's coming from someone who thinks putting the system together is half the fun.

Krakenrising
16-08-2015, 10:34 PM
If I was spending that kind of money on a PC I wouldn't settle for anything less than a GTX 980 (your looking at a 980, 980ti or an R9 Fury). The GPU is the most important component in a gaming PC, buy the best one you can afford is usually the rule of thumb. I also wouldn't bother with an i7 if I was gaming on the pc exclusively, no real gains to be had from hyper-threading. Water cooling probably isn't worth your money either considering the GPU is almost always going to be bottleneck so overclocking your CPU will likely not yield any really performance gains (vs spending the cost of water cooling on a better GPU).

I threw this together quickly. (http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/BBRbgs) If you take/email a parts list to a computer store they can usually put those parts together into a system. E.g. Computer Lounge will do it for $150 (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=7104). Kind of pricey, but that's coming from someone who thinks putting the system together is half the fun.

Thanks will have a look.

dugimodo
16-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Skylake is out now, I think it's worth considering personally. Would cost a little more and SLI support seems to be reserved for the pricier boards but I think it's worth it myself.
Should be possible to do an i5 6500K/DDR4 build within a couple hundred of what icow posted.

Also if you are going for a non-K CPU and not overclocking there's really no point buying the extra CPU cooler, stock cooling is fine. I've been running an i7 on stock cooling for 18 months and it's nearly silent and perfectly adequate.
The Hyper 212 evo is a good cooler at a good price but at stock speeds it's really just throwing money away. Unless you tax your CPU to 100% for long periods on a regular basis don't bother.

icow
17-08-2015, 03:41 PM
My bad on the CPU cooler, the build originally had the 6500k (which doesn't come with a stock cooler as far as I know). Imo the extra your spending on the CPU, motherboard and RAM isn't worth the small gains you'll see in CPU heavy tasks.

Krakenrising
17-08-2015, 07:20 PM
My bad on the CPU cooler, the build originally had the 6500k (which doesn't come with a stock cooler as far as I know). Imo the extra your spending on the CPU, motherboard and RAM isn't worth the small gains you'll see in CPU heavy tasks.

Putting together a build on what you suggested. Will see what it comes too!