PDA

View Full Version : PC BSOD'd on me

GameJunkie
16-08-2015, 08:16 PM
So i was just playing some arma 2, when all of a sudden my pc bluescreened on me

First off the specs of the rig.

Mobo: Asus Z97-A

CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.7GHz

PSU: Antec HCP 1000w Platnium

Ram: 2*4GB Adata 2400MHz DDR3

HDD 0: WD Black 1TB (OS installed on here)

HDD 1: WD Green 2TB

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 (not overclocked)

The WD Black was from my old rig, and had the Windows 7 installed on it, but i reinstalled the OS when i moved to the new Mobo/CPU.

So the WD Black is at least 2+ years old, and i have the Asus AI suite 3 to overclock the CPU to 4.7GHz, where it's been at that for nearly a year.

I rebooted and installed BlueScreenView, it came up with the error file called hal.dll

screenshot below

Thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2015, 09:17 PM
The OC may have something to do with it. And ASUS suite is a known cause of crashes

Upload the dmp files somewhere. Then post the link. I'll see what else is installed

GameJunkie
16-08-2015, 09:24 PM
ah ok.

Didnt know about the Asus suite being an issue, interesting.

uploaded the dmp file, link to it

http://www.filedropper.com/081615-19983-01

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Could be this. Read the post by NFHSMatrix (https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625356431100/)

But most of the programs mobo manufacturers bring out are crap. And will crash windows

ASUS Suite, On/Off, MSI afterburner. The programs that let you charge faster

Looks like your Logitech Wingman can cause this 0x9c stop error. The files for it are also old / from 2010

See if theres an update for it

GameJunkie
16-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Could be this. Read the post by NFHSMatrix (https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625356431100/)

But most of the programs mobo manufacturers bring out are crap. And will crash windows

ASUS Suite, On/Off, MSI afterburner. The programs that let you charge faster

Looks like your Logitech Wingman can cause this 0x9c stop error. The files for it are also old / from 2010

See if theres an update for it

so the CPU might not be getting enough voltage/too much??

the 4.7GHz OC is at 1.273v i think according to AI Suite

Logitech Wingman??

I've got a logitech G27 and a Logitech G500s mouse,

I've got the Logitech Profiler, and some logitech software for the mouse

GameJunkie
16-08-2015, 10:03 PM
also, i'm fairly certain there's a BIOS update for my mobo, but i'm too chicken to do it unless absolutley necessary, which this might be :D

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2015, 09:13 AM
ASUS mobos are one of the eaiest mobos to update. Just get the BIOS update extract it. Put it on a flash drive. Go into the BIOS go to tools/ez flash, load it.

Wait for it to finish its updated

dugimodo
17-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Honestly if you've had 1 bluescreen in a year I wouldn't put too much effort into figuring it out unless it happens again. Even a perfectly good machine with no issues can have the occasional crash. As for the overclocking software, although it seems like it's worked for you this long it'd be better to note down all the settings and apply them in BIOS.

And let's be real here, apart from bragging rights and the nice feeling of getting all that "free" performance is clocking your CPU at 4.7 GHz actually achieving anything? I have a Stock 3770 that clocks at 3.4 - 3.9 and when gaming I can monitor the usage generally at less than 50% (20-25% for WoW) and that's paired with a GTX 980.
Point is, if you suspect the OC is an issue back it off a bit to 4.5 or less and you will never notice a difference. You probably wouldn't notice it even at stock unless you actually push the CPU to 100% occasionally.

I previously had an i5 2500K that I overclocked fairly mildly to 4.0 Ghz, one day I realised that a BIOS update I'd applied 3 months earlier had reset my overclock back to stock speeds and I'd been using the PC ever since without noticing. After that I decided there was no point which is why this build is not using a K series CPU. I understand the desire to overclock, I feel it myself, but unless you are actually needing more performance for something isn't it just stressing out your CPU for no reason?

GameJunkie
17-08-2015, 07:44 PM
ASUS mobos are one of the eaiest mobos to update. Just get the BIOS update extract it. Put it on a flash drive. Go into the BIOS go to tools/ez flash, load it.

Wait for it to finish its updated

Just had a look,

I'm running BIOS version 1008, the latest is 2501 :D :D

each update since 1008 says system stability, performance improvements :D

GameJunkie
17-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Honestly if you've had 1 bluescreen in a year I wouldn't put too much effort into figuring it out unless it happens again. Even a perfectly good machine with no issues can have the occasional crash. As for the overclocking software, although it seems like it's worked for you this long it'd be better to note down all the settings and apply them in BIOS.

And let's be real here, apart from bragging rights and the nice feeling of getting all that "free" performance is clocking your CPU at 4.7 GHz actually achieving anything? I have a Stock 3770 that clocks at 3.4 - 3.9 and when gaming I can monitor the usage generally at less than 50% (20-25% for WoW) and that's paired with a GTX 980.
Point is, if you suspect the OC is an issue back it off a bit to 4.5 or less and you will never notice a difference. You probably wouldn't notice it even at stock unless you actually push the CPU to 100% occasionally.

I previously had an i5 2500K that I overclocked fairly mildly to 4.0 Ghz, one day I realised that a BIOS update I'd applied 3 months earlier had reset my overclock back to stock speeds and I'd been using the PC ever since without noticing. After that I decided there was no point which is why this build is not using a K series CPU. I understand the desire to overclock, I feel it myself, but unless you are actually needing more performance for something isn't it just stressing out your CPU for no reason?

it has crashed once or twice but it's very infrequent tbh.

Truth be told, peeople have said it's better to do the O/C from the UEFI BIOS anyway, i just wanted an instant overclock, and got 4.7GHz on all 4 cores.

I might knock it down a couple hundred MHz

Agent_24
18-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Honestly if you've had 1 bluescreen in a year I wouldn't put too much effort into figuring it out unless it happens again. Even a perfectly good machine with no issues can have the occasional crash.
If you have a crash that isn't software related, it's not a perfectly good machine, or you're overclocking too hard.

dugimodo
18-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Sure but we haven't established it is a hardware issue yet. All I'm saying is 1 random isolated crash is not cause for alarm by itself.
You could spend days looking for a fault that doesn't exist, random stuff happens. If it happens more than once that's different.

19-08-2015, 10:23 AM
If you have a random bluescreen/crash after months of use, then if its hardware the chances of tracking down the cause
will be damn near zero.
Random, rarely occuring faults that cannot be reproduced are almost impossible to find the cause, because if its that
intermittent how will you possibly know when youve fixed it..wait another 2-3 months to see if it happens again ?

GameJunkie
19-08-2015, 06:34 PM
If you have a random bluescreen/crash after months of use, then if its hardware the chances of tracking down the cause
will be damn near zero.
Random, rarely occuring faults that cannot be reproduced are almost impossible to find the cause, because if its that
intermittent how will you possibly know when youve fixed it..wait another 2-3 months to see if it happens again ?

that's true,

I've updated the BIOS from 0902 to 2501, and knocked the O/C down to 4.4GHz at 1.25v

We'll see how it goes, been alright in a couple games so far

GameJunkie
19-08-2015, 08:59 PM
I've noticed another thing.

I installed HWiNFO64 just to have a deeper look at my system(more info)

and under the HDD section there are two yellow exclamation symbols for the boot drive which is a WD 1TB Black

they are as follows

[C5] Current Pending Sector Count: 200/Always OK, Worst: 200 (Data =5)
[C6] Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count: 200/Always OK, Worst: 200 (Data =5)

Should i be concerned??

Agent_24
20-08-2015, 12:49 AM
It indicates your drive has 5 potentially bad sectors. (sectors which could not be read last time they were accessed, but have not yet been tested for write ability and marked as OK or reallocated)
Of course 5 is a very small number in terms of any modern drive - though potentially they may have been the cause of your crashes if they interfered with the read of some critical data.

What is more concerning is if these occurred recently, as it could signal that the drive will fail soon. (but I'm guessing you don't know when they first appeared)

Sometimes drives will accrue a few bad sectors at some point yet operate normally for years afterwards. Sometimes the first few bad sectors are quickly followed by a whole lot more, or outright drive failure (like a head or the head preamps dying).

You should only be worried if you have no backup or the drive is out of warranty.