PDA

View Full Version : Folder not accessible!

Timbo
16-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Help, 90% of all my files are saved on this folder (Desktop folder) (30gigs)! But now I can't open the folder!

I double click, the status bar loads for ages but then it ends saying my drive needs to be reformatted. But every other folder on the same drive works just fine.

I also got this error in another attempt to open it.

I was using Ubuntu 14 live CD to access my drive when I discovered this problem, except under Ubuntu live CD, the Desktop folder opens, but shows no contents. Again, every other folder on the same drive works. At the time, I figure I must of deleted everything in it by mistake, so I take the HDD from my laptop, put it in a external HDD enclosure and then run it on another PC to recover using Recuva software.

But so, It looks like that folder got corrupted as opposed to it's contents deleted by mistake. I have a habit of bumping my laptop every now and then, but that has never caused any probs in the past. BTW I'm only on Ubuntu live CD cause I screwed up my windows installation and I was using the live CD to browse the net.

wainuitech
16-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Its possible you have a part HDD failure (bad Sectors are a common cause). If Ubuntu cant open and see the files, its not good.

A Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) is an error checking technique used by computers, specifically the hard drives or optical disks (i.e DVD/CD). A Cyclic Redundancy Check error is caused when data on the hard-drive or DVD becomes corrupt.

Just a suggestion, while on Ubuntu copy off any important data you dont want to lose to a external HDD.

IF its the drive failing you run the risk of losing everything.

I have a habit of bumping my laptop every now and then, but that has never caused any probs in the past. Wanna bet ;) The only time you are likely not to risk data lose is if using a SSD HDD. You may have just been lucky in the past.

Kame
17-08-2015, 06:34 PM
I have not seen Windows show a CRC error from a folder, so I have to assume, this folder has been compressed or the file system now keeps CRC checksums, or worse, it's encrypted which makes recovery near impossible.

I'm just speculating though, am not a Windows user no more.

Cheers,

KK