PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Phone jack?

Thunderflash
15-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Our broadband speed has been very slow and variable ever since our incoming phone line was reconnected to the new underground wires. They connected the new incoming line to the nearest telephone jack in the house which is a secondary jack, well away from where the overhead cables did enter. I have now isolated all the other phone jacks in the house which as slightly improved speed but nowhere near what it was. I am wondering if this secondary jack should be a master jack? one that as a capacitor? Will changing it help with speed? Thanks

tweak'e
15-08-2015, 09:51 PM
change them to 2 wire jacks.

decibel
16-08-2015, 09:57 AM
- and filters on all the phones.

dugimodo
16-08-2015, 10:44 AM
There are no master jacks any more, they are all 2 wire jacks as Tweak'e says. If you still have the old style jacks they need replacing. Should have a little 2 on the jack, if it has a M or S it's outdated and could be your problem
If you are certain your speed has dropped since the change report it as a fault and get them to fix it. Check the sync speed on your modem first though, just in case the speed issues are a coincidence and not line related.

As for filters, they've never been great. Ideally you should have a splitter style filter installed in the ETP and a dedicated broadband jackpoint. Plug in filters are unreliable and don't perform as well.
Sounds like they've either mucked it up or your house wiring needs fixing.

Thunderflash
16-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks all for your help, my next step is to install a filter at the ETP point on the house.

Kame
17-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Is this VDSL?

VDSL has a 10 day profiling/monitoring that takes place and can cause a bit of slow down till after that initial period. Crucial this period happens as its choosing the best profile to use for your line.

As for master jack, I don't believe they run jacks like that any more, there is usually enough wires coming in to run 4 jack points all independent of each other, unless a DIY job took place and they ran from jack to jack. The one with a capicitor sounds like a sky installer not from the telco, didn't realise they still relied on this, but maybe they do.

Was there not a master splitter, additional jack point set up for internet only?

Cheers,

KK

Thunderflash
17-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks Kame. No this is not VDSL.

Originally the overhead wires did go into a master filter/splitter with one jack point for internet, the rest for phone. Then they reconnected us to underground cables and connected these directly into the back of one of our phone jacks. No internet in the internet jack so then plugged router into a phone jack which worked but very poor. Now I have got the router and phone both plugged into the entry point phone jack and isolated the rest of the house jacks. Internet does work better but not as good as when connected to overhead wires.

My next plan will be to reconnect that master filter/splitter behide the currently only live phone jack, I'm kind of hopeful that this will return our broadband speed back to the original speed.

dugimodo
17-08-2015, 08:26 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6694[/ATTACH Your phone could be mucking up the broadband because there is now no filter between them, see my crude diagram. That's how it's supposed to be.

Thunderflash
17-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks for that diagram dugimodo, very helpful. One more question, does the splitter/filter in your diagram do the same job as the inline filters that plug into the phone jacks?

dugimodo
17-08-2015, 10:40 PM
It does but it's better. The plug in ones do the job, it's just that they are more prone to failure and don't have as good a separation and only filter the jackpoint they are plugged into so you need one for every phone. For VDSL chorus only do the master filter type installations. The quickest way to fix your wiring might be to cut away the old incoming line and use plug in filters for now though. You have to disconnect it after the existing filter if there is one, Ideally move it to the new incoming line and wire it properly. I'm surprised whoever changed the lead-in didn't fix this, it wouldn't take an installer long at all, probably 5-10 mins.

As you can see the broadband side of the cct is not filtered at all, just the phones. One way to test is to disconnect all the wiring and feed the broadband modem direct from the incoming line with nothing else connected, it should go as fast as it can. In that set up you don't actually need a filter at all but there will be no phone service. At the moment though if the old filter is still connected and not wired correctly because the line doesn't come in that way anymore the filtered output side of it meant for phones is possibly sitting across the broadband jack screwing things up, imagine on that diagram another input coming in on one of the phone jack wires in the opposite direction and you may see what I mean.

In the diagram if you cut away the output of the filter and use plug in filters on the phones, then the 4 wires I show as phone ccts would all be ok and the old broadband jackpoint would be dead, does that make sense?
With plug in filters all you need to do is common all the jackpoints together and use filters wherever there is a phone connected and you are good to go, the broadband jack only needs a filter if it's shared with a phone.
The splitter is better though.