PDA

View Full Version : did i get screwed on this gaming pc build ? please help

monker453
15-08-2015, 05:58 AM
Hi let me start off by saying i am new with computers and my general knowledge of them is limited ,but the other day i decided to have a custom built gaming PC put together at a nearby PC shop since i had a nice chunk of disposable income and had been meaning to get one for a while.Anyway i went down and asked the guy working there if he could recommend a good build for my budget since i was not to sure about the build i wanted, i went with what he recommended since he said it should be more then enough for to play alot of the games i wanted to on higher settings skyrim,total war,fallout 3 etc (nothing to demanding) . When i brought it home plugged it all in and installed OS and the other drivers that came with it,I found this computer could not run these games any better then my old pavilion hp desktop, when i tried to play napoleon total war on high settings it got really hot and sounded like it was about to blast off ,same for the other games i tried playing (the ones i listed previously). I will admit i did jump the gun before buying and did not do alot of research before hand which i now regret. Is it possible i am not do something correctly or did i just make a bad call when i went with this build ?

here is the specs
gpu: geforce GT 740
cpu:AMD FX(tm)-6300 six - core processor
memory:8GB (RAM)
driver version:355.60
motherboard:ASUS M5A78L-M LX AM3+ 780GB/SB710 PCI EXPRESS
total cost was around $800

wainuitech
15-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Simple Answer NO, you didn't get screwed for the specs. In fact its a good price.

You have left out some important information.

What Case ??
What Power Supply ??

If you look at the prices from Acsent - with the items listed it comes to $764.00 So you need to add a Case, Power Supply, and labor.

A decent PSU will easily cost over between $150 -$200.+

A gaming Case depending on what you have can easily be $150+ A basic every day case around $70-$100. Hopefully they didn't use the rubbish budget PSU's that come with Basic Cases.

The graphic Card is nothing flash, its OK for some things, but that one retails at about $173. A good higher spec card can easily start at $300+ Top of the line cards exceed $1000.00

wainuitech
15-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Just adding the above.

You didn't include a HDD either Around $100 depending on what it is. So taking only the prices listed it comes to $764.00.

Add on a Case, Power supply, Hard Drive and Labor.

If you want a comparison, this one at Computer lounge (complete) is 1199.95 http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systembuilder (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systembuilder.asp?action=add&sysid=200&systypeid=4)

Its got different motherboard, and they dont use AMD CPU's, it has a Pentium - and is considered Entry Level. (any serious gamer would laugh at a Pentium CPU)

Looking at the motherboard you listed, its only a budget basic Board.

dugimodo
15-08-2015, 06:46 PM
You didn't get screwed on price but it's not something I would buy as a gamer either. Getting a good deal is one thing but personally I think you should have been advised $800 is not a realistic budget for a new gaming PC.

The CPU is ok for a budget build but the Graphics card is the real issue. A GTX 750Ti or an R9 270 is more realistically entry level gaming hardware - good enough for 1080P games at high settings or better most of the time and even higher if you use a lower res monitor.
It will play some games pretty well but anything that needs a bit of graphics power will struggle. They cost around $250 and personally wouldn't go slower than that. What resolution is your monitor ?

PC gaming is not a cheap hobby and buying a cheap PC for playing games is almost certain to be disappointing. In an Ideal world you want an i5 and a GTX960 or equivalent to see what gaming is supposed to be like.

pctek
15-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Screwed in that I wouldbn't call that gaming at all with such a lame GPU.
For the price, well, you can pay more than the total for a high end Gpu alone!!

monker453
16-08-2015, 03:37 AM
Thanks for replying, the the psu did come with the case its a thermal take v2 mid case with a 450w psu and the hard drive is a western digital caviar blue 1 tb SATA hard drives.The actual cost of the computer was around 860 but the extra 60 was just for labor and software, any recommended upgrades ?

wainuitech
16-08-2015, 12:24 PM
If you put the posts from Dugimodo & PCTek together you'll get a rough Idea from that.

$860 for a PC that's been described is really a general usage PC. Its not a gaming PC.

Might be OK for playing online games but as you have discovered not the games you wanted to play originally.

The Graphic Card installed is rather low - take a look at benchmark tests - and the GT 740 is near the bottom unfortunately http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+740&id=2883

Have a look at the link I posted in Number 3 - where you can change components and you'll get a better Idea of what it should really cost.

The case is not that important in the big picture, but that Power Supply will only be a budget version.

As for upgrading ? Well it could cost you basically what you have already spent plus some. :(

I think you have a good case to go back to the place you got it from and complain that its not what you asked for it to do. The only excuse they can really give is if you stated a budget limit.

dugimodo
16-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Ask if they'll upgrade the graphics and see what options they give you. The 750Ti is a good option if you have to keep power requirements down.
Otherwise save your pennies and keep an eye out for a good deal, and as Wainui mentioned the PSU has to be good enough to power the graphics and a budget model might not be up to the job.

What is the specs of the old pavilion? Maybe you could sell it to raise some cash for a graphics card and psu.

Paul.Cov
18-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I was reading the OP in all seriousness, until I got to the last line, where the total price was "around $800".

I'd love to update my own gaming rig, but the problem I have is that most game-suitable components are EACH pushing towards the $800 mark.

If I wasn't so tight I'd splash out on an $800 GPU, and a $400 CPU, and close to $800 RAM, and another $300 on both the MOBO and the PSU.

Then there's another $300 on a decent size (or speed) of HDD, and another $300 for the case and the OS.

So there's a cost of $3200 already, and it's not using top spec gaming gear yet.

Frankly, best gaming rig for $800 is likely to be a standalone thing like a PS3 or XBox, where all the components are standard, and bought on a very big bulk deal.
Note that you won't catch me dead with one of those locked down and good for one task only game rigs, although I'll not yet comment on the value or otherwise of what a Steam Box might deliver.

dugimodo
18-08-2015, 12:01 PM
While I agree Paul I think you're talking about higher specced gear than the OP is looking for. A decent enough gaming PC can be built in the $100 - $1500 range depending on if you have any parts already and what your goals are. $800 is not realistic but it's possible to just add a $250 graphics card to the original specs and have an ok machine for games.

Upgrading is another story, I'm about to build a high(ish) end skylake ring costing me $1800 but re-using a lot of parts to save cash. I could do it for as little as $900-$1200 but I'm adding a few extras. The biggest saving is my graphics card which I'm keeping. With a bit of luck I can recover a lot of the upgrade cost by selling off my old rig (Shameless plug - currently on trademe, same as signature except for GTX760 graphics, PM me if interested) and another PC I no longer use.

18-08-2015, 12:24 PM
i went with what he recommended since he said it should be more then enough for to play alot of the games i wanted to on higher settings skyrim,total war,fallout 3 etc (nothing to demanding) .

Yep, screwed . Assuming you specified the games you want to play, AND if you specified you wanted to play them on high settings

Not fit for purpose, you told the shop what you wanted, supplied PC isnt up to the task. The shop should have been up front & managed your expectations

Weather or not you were being completely unreasonable with you budget & expectations is another story .