PDA

View Full Version : Laptop purchase for parents - yeah or nah?

Renmoo
12-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKTOS2721091&qr=pspy&ref=pricespy

Quick specs: Intel Celeron N2830 2GB 500GB NO-ODD Win8.1 with Bing 64Bit 1yr 4Cell BT4 HDMI USB3 Webcam

The current home laptop has gone kaput. Previously, my dad would have used it purely for the odd word processing, internet browsing and to play solitaire. As for my mum, she used it mostly to write e-mails and browse the Internet.

The question is - would the laptop above be sufficient for their needs?

Cheers :)

pctek
13-08-2015, 08:05 AM
It's low end.
On the other hand, what they do with it is low end. So yeah it would suffice........depending what exactly they do on the net.

Renmoo
13-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Read the news, reply to emails, Internet banking, YouTube watching etc

dugimodo
13-08-2015, 10:25 AM
It's probably fine, as long as the screen size is large enough for them. I have an atom powered windows 10 tablet with 2GB of RAM running windows 10 and it is surprising just how good it is at everyday tasks. Even driving a 2nd 1080P screen and streaming HD video on it works fine and the atom is a very low end CPU. I use mine for web browsing and netflix mostly.

Another option if it doesn't need to be portable is to grab one of the ex-lease PC's that pbtech often sell. Not as portable but a cheap option with better performance - they also sell ex lease screens & keyboards etc.

Renmoo
13-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I think - for various reasons - my dad prefers a laptop over a traditional PC; thanks for your suggestion though dugimodo :)

Would running Windows 8 itself "suck up" too much of processor and memory resources?

dugimodo
13-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Windows 8 & 10 are pretty good at managing RAM. That said with 2G you don't want to leave a lot of things running at once or have a dozen tabs open in the browser.
Stick to one job at a time and they work just fine.

The things that slow down PC's are worse on low end hardware that doesn't have horsepower to spare. You need to be a bit more vigilant to keep them running smoothly.
I recently recovered an old PC with a 3 core Phenom 2 CPU and an 80GB hdd that was so slow as to be unusuable and that's entirely because it was clogged up with too much running at once and no hard drive space. I'm not even talking about malware or viruses, just a lot of uneeded software all set to run on startup. After a clean out you wouldn't know it was the same machine.

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 01:02 PM
My husband is still using a Compaq presario laptop running vista - it is 6 years old hasn't left his desk in the past three years. He emails, browses and Facebooks, prints wirelessly, and that's about it, so no that kind of usage doesn't require much power.
Having said that I have no idea how we ever lived without the iPad - a tablet should be a serious consideration.