PDA

View Full Version : Bootmgr image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.

EFFIGY
11-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I updated to W10 three days ago. No problems. This morning I was off out and set the machine to hibernate- I have come home to this message.
Is it as sickeningly bad as it looks?
What do I do?

Lawrence
11-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Would say Boot from DVD/USB with Windows 10 and do a upgrade,don't know if it offers you a repair from the disk

EFFIGY
11-08-2015, 07:12 PM
How would I do that? It was my first instinct but this was the downloaded automatic install - so I don't have a disc or usb -or can I make one on my laptop and then use that somehow? Also I can't get into the bios to change where it boots from.

Lawrence
11-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Microsoft's Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10,this is the way most have got Windows 10

Gives you the choice of Upgrade This PC and Create installation Media for Another PC (pick this one), choose the correct one you have and you will get a ISO file
Would say most Boot PC/Laptops Boot from the DVD/CD drive so burn to DVD

Edit-- http://www.askvg.com/download-windows-10-offline-iso-files-and-create-installation-media/

EFFIGY
11-08-2015, 07:39 PM
OK Downloading ISO File now, looks as though it is going to take a while I think, and I don't have a blank DVD - so shopping in the morning. I will report back tomorrow.

nmercer
12-08-2015, 10:49 AM
OK Downloading ISO File now, looks as though it is going to take a while I think, and I don't have a blank DVD - so shopping in the morning. I will report back tomorrow.

you can use a USB or run the setup.exe from in the ISO itself, you don't need a blank DVD

dugimodo
12-08-2015, 11:20 AM
you can use a USB or run the setup.exe from in the ISO itself, you don't need a blank DVD

Not so easy when you can't boot or access the BIOS I think.

Why can't you get into the BIOS, tried just pushing del repeatedly during boot up?

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 06:40 PM
OK so I never for one moment thought that this would go smoothly.
Problems to date:
The ISO does NOTfit on a 4.7GB DVD.
Nor does it fit on an 8GB USB
I do have a 16GB USB - But I need to shift all the holiday photos off it temporarily so I can use it. 16GB photos take a while to shift.
I have a feeling this is going to be a long slow evening.

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Hmmm can't move the ISO onto USB either - just get a message that the file is too big - its 5.59GB and the USB is 16GB, *scratches head*

5 minutes later
Oh... yay, I just need to wait while it downloads onto the actual USB. :cool: This is the third time I have downloaded it.:illogical marvelous, there goes another hour.

gary67
12-08-2015, 06:54 PM
I put it on a standard 4.7GB DVD. What did you try and put it onto the DVD with?

Lawrence
12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Something's not right so what is the file size of the ISO?

Windows 10 pro x86 is 2.41GB in my case

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Just the burner that comes with Windows.

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 07:06 PM
I put it on a standard 4.7GB DVD. What did you try and put it onto the DVD with?

Just the burner that comes with Windows - I'm downloading the new Daemon Tools Lite now

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Sounds like the flash drive is formatted in FAT32. Did you use something to extract whats in the ISO, to the flash drive??

You cant copy the ISO as is to a flash drive, its not bootable. What ISO is 5.59 GB? The Win10 32 or 64 bit Pro ISO isnt that big

wainuitech
12-08-2015, 07:19 PM
See screen shots for the ISO sizes, these are Windows 10 Home The larger one X64, the smaller x86

For burning I use Power ISO, its often given away on the giveaway sites. One place that's currently go it http://net-load.com/giveaway-poweriso-6-0-for-free/ The zip file has both x86 and x64 Versions.

All you do after installing is right click the ISO - From the menu - Power ISO - Burn - Burn

downloading the new Daemon Tools Lite now Wouldn't use that, it the cause of a lot of problems.

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 07:39 PM
I have re-downloaded onto the USB direct, its the 64bit and 86bit (both) version - we are currently at 86%

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Progress so far...
I have downloaded Power ISO it also says that the file wont fit on a DVD - I think I have downloaded the wrong thing. I opted for the version of W10 that had both 64 and 86 bit. Meanwhile I have downloaded the same file directly onto a USB, which says it is creating media - 36%.
If that doesn't work I will download the 64bit only version (I cant remember if Aspirenstein is 64 or 86) and try Power ISO again.

wainuitech
12-08-2015, 08:01 PM
The first Pic I posted shows the file sizes, it easily fits on a DVD with room to spare.

Lawrence
12-08-2015, 08:02 PM
64 bit http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/Intel-Core-i7-4770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 08:20 PM

This is what is now on the USB - will it boot?

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 08:40 PM
It did boot - and I got a message that said my computer had encountered a problem - screen went quite fast -something about gathering information, black screen for some time now - how long should I leave it?

5 minutes now - what should I do? its whirring away but no cpu light activity, and monitor is black -mouse is lit up so something is happening?

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Never seen 32 and 64 bit folder on a flash drive. But is there a sources folder in one of these?

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Never seen 32 and 64 bit folder on a flash drive. But is there a sources folder in one of these?
Did you see my screen shot?
its 64 and 86

wainuitech
12-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Should do, just downloaded the x86&x64 ISO ( as both) size is 5,843,712 KB, so guess it wouldn't fit on a standard DVD, but would on a Dual Layer. Folder structure same as Pictured :)

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2015, 08:52 PM
I can see it's 32 and 64 bit. Run the setup in the 64 bit folder then if its there

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Wail!

Lawrence
12-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Did you get it through the Media creation Tool or somewhere else?

Just get what you were using originally either Home or Pro 64 bit through the creation tool

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2015, 09:01 PM
If you've got the 64 bit iso use rufus

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Guys, I'm home tomorrow- shall we step our way through unraveling this in the cold hard light of day?

EFFIGY
12-08-2015, 09:04 PM
If you've got the 64 bit iso use rufus
What is Rufus please?

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2015, 09:06 PM
This (http://rufus.akeo.ie/)

It'll extract whats into the ISO and format the flash drive and put the install files on it

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 07:50 AM
The USB gets me into the Bios.
I selected BOOT MENU (F8)
Then F8 again for Advanced Options
How should I proceed? I don't want to wipe my hard drives.

Lawrence
13-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Looks like you opted to go to advanced features when you don't have to,just choose Win 10 64 bit and go

Once you get to the choice of upgrade(which you want) that retains your files,the other choice will wipe everything and start from scratch

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Looks like this can happen, if you've got faulty ram. Or something is wrong with it

I would turn it off, and depending on how many sticks are in this remove all but 1 stick. Then see if it boots

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 08:18 AM
I didn't get an option, it just booted straight into w10. I shut it down removed the USB and restarted �� All is well.
I tried to replicate the problem by setting it to hibernate again, but it woke from that just fine. I suppose it's fixed, but why did it happen in the first place?

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Desktop.
The RAM is virtually new - six months of not much use. Could sitting unused have harmed it?

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2015, 08:33 AM
I would get memtest (http://www.memtest.org) and either get the ISO and burn it to a dvd.

Or the flash drive file. Then boot from it. And let it test the ram. If it brings up errors one or more of the sticks are probably faulty

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 08:44 AM
I would get memtest (http://www.memtest.org) and either get the ISO and burn it to a dvd.

Or the flash drive file. Then boot from it. And let it test the ram. If it brings up errors one or more of the sticks are probably faulty

The first one?

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Yup the zip file where you put the X or get the one that says new if you want to use a flash drive. The ISO is only small, so it'll be a waste to use a cd for a 59k iso

13-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Desktop.
The RAM is virtually new - six months of not much use. Could sitting unused have harmed it?

How old the RAM is means nothing.
New stuff sometimes goes faulty . It happens. Not saying thats the issue but if in doubt, eliminate all possible causes.

And with your ISO size being over 4G, perhaps the issue is MS's download page is not very helpfull.
Too many options (4 'editions') with zero description on what one to download
Perhaps you downloaded a multi language or other larger edition ?
Try the Win10 'single language' , Its less than 4G .

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Yup the zip file where you put the X or get the one that says new if you want to use a flash drive. The ISO is only small, so it'll be a waste to use a cd for a 59k iso
well that has opened a can of worms.
Its hard to explain whats going on, basically I think files are being stored in wrong places. The computer boots from the usb and runs fine. BUT when I started to work with the memtest usb I got a message telling me to reconnect my drive because it has been disconnected too long. I couldnt safely eject the usb as it complained that it was still in use, even though all the programmes were closed. So I shut down - removed the usb with memtest on it and powered up, guess what...
Bootmgr message again.
So
I switched everything off at the wall and started again with the W10 usb, which worked fine, differently to last time, but it worked and I am up and running again.
Here is where it gets interesting. I have just realised that the Seagate external hard drive which is normally permanently attached, was NOT attached when I did the upgrade from W8 to 10 the first time. I have 2 internal and 2 external hard drives.
The computer is supposed to boot from the SSD 'C' drive, but I *think* something is wrong with the way it is storing temporary files, ie NOT on the other internal 'D' I wanted it to, but somewhere else - like possibly the Seagate.
I am out of my depth here.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2015, 10:41 AM
It may have been trying to boot from one of the externals if they were still connected. So which hdd has windows on it the SSD or the external??

If the SSD, it should install / upgrade on that not on the external.

If the SSD is the bootdisk / has windows on it remove the external hdds. Then try the upgrade again

Also if you havent used this for a while open the case and see if its full of dust

Lawrence
13-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Are you sure if you did a clean install after you first upgraded you did not get the drives mixed up as it gives you a choice usually with the correct one highlighted Blue

I always look at this twice

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm going to start a new thread about this one...

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2015, 11:08 AM
That'll only confuse people and they'll probably come back to this thread.

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 12:24 PM
I have disconnected everything, vacuumed thoroughly (I wanted an excuse to use the minitools that came with my new vacuum) I booted from usb and all looked good so I thought - lets try re-boot from ssd. So I shut down, removed usb, restarted into bios and told it to boot from ssd (which is how I set it up) The ssd is 'C' drive. So as far as I know it is now booting from the ssd. Now I just have to wait and see if I get the 'reconnect your file history drive' message again, my file history is on 'D' which is the old original hard drive (one of the few bits I kept) when I rebuilt.
At what point will it be safe to reconnect the external hard drives?

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Thats a good question. I have no idea when its safe to connect external hdd's. I've never had any

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Grrr, this looks intermittent. Sometimes it will boot and sometimes it won't. I shut it down to test and when I hit the power it just sat there powering and stopping, powering and stopping, so I unplugged everything wiggled the usb wires and sata connections and it started. (with usb) But why has this happened since W10? Or is it perhaps just co-incidence?

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I think this is a connection issue, I had the machine running and restarting for the past half hour no problem, so I thought great let's put it's cover back and set it where it belongs. Now it's doing the power on whirr click, off on over and over again. I'm at my wits end, I suppose I just have to open it up again.:crying

Driftwood
13-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Self induced faults are always the hardest to find.

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Self induced faults are always the hardest to find.

Awwww thats not helpful. Actually I am leaning to Speedy's suggestion that the RAM may be dodgy - I took it out - presto perfect boot. Added one still no problem currently running the second as well. Now to test the RAM if I can get that Memtest to work - that was when today really took a dive so I'm apprehensive to use it. Is there another way to test RAM?

I still think it is odd that this all happened 48 hours after W10 and the machine wasn't in use for 36 of those hours, haven't been moved or disturbed in any way other than to upgrade.

13-08-2015, 02:39 PM
I still think it is odd that this all happened 48 hours after W10 ....

yes, windows10 damaged your RAM. :badpc: :badpc:
now wheres my tinfoil hat

It can also be the ram socket that goes bad (as with one of my PC's) .
Sometimes just re-inserting the RAM a few times is enough to get it going again . Easiest way to test it is with Memtest86+ , download & burn to CD, boot off the cd. RAM tests may not help if the fault is intermittent.

Quote: " I shut it down to test and when I hit the power it just sat there powering and stopping powering and stopping, , so I unplugged everything wiggled the usb wires and sata connections and it started."

You have a few hardware issues . Expect ongoing issues.

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Just finished Memtest - no problems detected. Hopefully just taking them out and putting them back did the trick.

EFFIGY
13-08-2015, 03:04 PM
You have a few hardware issues . Expect ongoing issues.
Hardly surprising, this was my first full system build. Although the very nice people at Press F1 Forum talked me through it and I have been problem free (except for having to flash the mother board right at the beginning) until now.

EDIT: I just check the forum - this machine has been running faultlessly since May 2014, not bad for a first attempt guys, thanks again.