PDA

View Full Version : Update Win7 laptop to Win10 with an ISO file?

PeterE
09-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I used the Media Creation Tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10) then ran the file and downloaded from Win10 to a flash drive. So now I have all the Win10 update files on a flash drive?

How do I now "mount it to form the ISO file MS tool, then run the setup file"?

What is the difference between a clean/dirty/fresh install? And can I use the files on this flash drive for future re-installs?

ps, I also have a Desktop Win8.1 (64bit) to update and one with only Win8.

Such Fun!

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Get rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) and use it to extract the ISO to the flash drive. Then run the setup file in it. While youre in Win7

Select upgrade

If it asks for a key click on skip. Win 10 should activate after

A clean install wipes the hdd. You can use the flash drive to reinstall Win10 (you can do a clean install after the upgrade). But if you do a clean install copy what you want like contacts / docs. Because, it'll wipe everything on the hdd or C.

If you downloaded the 64 bit ISO, you cant install it on a 32 bit system (IF it doesnt support 64 bit). You'll have to download the 32 bit ISO to do that

The updates wont be on the flash drive. You'll have to download them, after you install Win10

Or if you mean the other pc has only got Win 8 on it, you may have to update it to 8.1 first

PeterE
10-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Thank you Speedy

Sorry I am a bit thick, where do I "use rufus to extract the ISO to the flash drive" from?

The Windows site, or is it somewhere in the flash drive? "Then run the setup file in it" where?

Peter.

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Click on rufus in my previous post.

Download rufus, run it. MAKE sure the flash drive appears up the top. Because it'll format it. Select MBR since youre using Win7 to upgrade to 10. Dont think you can put it on UEFI unless the mobo supports. it.

Add the ISO then click on start. Wait for it to finish. Then open the flash drive, run the setup file thats in it

PeterE
11-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Thank you one again Speedy.

I will follow your suggestions and see how I go with the upgrade on the Win7 laptop first.

Ta muchly, Peter.

CYaBro
11-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Why do you need to create the ISO if you created a USB install disk?
Just run the setup file from the USB stick.
And yes the USB stick can be used to boot from again in the future if you need to reinstall Win10.

PeterE
12-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks CYaBro.

There have been many suggestions here of the need to create an ISO file/drive/disc.

Is there any advantage for or against?

Now I'm confused.

Peter.

nmercer
12-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks CYaBro.

There have been many suggestions here of the need to create an ISO file/drive/disc.

Is there any advantage for or against?

Now I'm confused.

Peter.

just run setup.exe however you choose. You can run it directly, you can write the ISO to a blank DVD or USB key