PDA

View Full Version : Backup Definitions

Blue Druid
09-08-2015, 06:20 PM
I have downloaded Macrium Reflect with a view to backing up my computer so that, if the worst happens, I can restore it to its present state.

Immediately, my ignorance becomes obvious! It asks whether I want to *clone* or *image* my drive. What is the difference? And is there any advantage of one over the other?

I imagine this is something of a newbie question but it seems sensible to ask rather than do the wrong thing and regret it later when it really matters.

wainuitech
09-08-2015, 06:34 PM
I have downloaded Macrium Reflect with a view to backing up my computer so that, if the worst happens, I can restore it to its present state.

Immediately, my ignorance becomes obvious! It asks whether I want to *clone* or *image* my drive. What is the difference? And is there any advantage of one over the other?

I imagine this is something of a newbie question but it seems sensible to ask rather than do the wrong thing and regret it later when it really matters.

Cloning a drive = Making an exact replica of the current drive to another drive. You can disconnect the original drive and boot from the clone just like the original.

Imaging a Drive = means creating a file of the drive. Generally as a rule not bootable. You can store many "images" on a single harddrive or network location. When putting back a Image it will put it back as it was at the time of imaging.

As an example, these are "images" in the form of wim files in one folder on one of my servers. The descriptions are self explaining.

Blue Druid
09-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Thank you for that, Wainuitech.

So which strategy would you recommend for my purpose? I make a daily backup of Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music as straight accessible copy which is around 150GB. The remainder of a 1 TB external drive is available.

Because I have only one computer (laptop) I am guessing that a clone would be the better option so that if I ever have to replace the laptop, I can simply reload the clone. Am I on the right track here?

wainuitech
09-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Thank you for that, Wainuitech.

So which strategy would you recommend for my purpose? I make a daily backup of Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music as straight accessible copy which is around 150GB. The remainder of a 1 TB external drive is available.

Because I have only one computer (laptop) I am guessing that a clone would be the better option so that if I ever have to replace the laptop, I can simply reload the clone. Am I on the right track here?
Personally I wouldn't do the clone. Imaging can be done to an external HDD, then as long as the software allows it incremental backups. One other way is to make a image to an external HDD, then use something like SyncBack Free to make backups of files that get altered all the time to the external drive. I use a automatic backup, but also run robo copy ( using the gui) as described HERE (http://www.howtogeek.com/130729/add-a-graphical-user-interface-gui-to-the-microsoft-robocopy-command-line-tool/) - RoboMirror

Blue Druid
09-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks again, Wainui. An image it will be. I use Syncback for files now so and that has proved immensely useful in bringing the essentials over to a new machine.

tommykw_wd
13-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Hi @Blue Druid, always remember that "backup" means that you have your data stored in at least two (2) locations. Moving data from your system drive to an external hard drive is not a backup, unless there is already a duplicate of the file on a different drive. It's recommended that you keep a backup of your important data at all times. Backing up your data protects you in case of a computer virus, data corruption, hardware issues, or electrical problems. If you own any of Seagate, WD or other manufacturer hard drives, you can easily download their software, utilities, firmware updates, and drivers on their corporate websites. I've heard CloneZilla is good. You can also check out the Acronis True Image backup and recovery of your entire system. Hope you find this information useful. Cheers.

Blue Druid
13-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Thank you. Yes, my original data is copied, not moved to the backup location. In fact I keep two data backups: one daily and another monthly which is stored securely away from my computer.

CYaBro
13-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Another backup program to consider:
https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

I found that one last week and have been testing it and it works great.
Really like the feature that you can set so that a backup is run automatically whenever you connect the USB drive.

If you want to download it make sure you fill the form in with fake details, don't put your actual name, email address etc.
One of the guys at work wasn't thinking when he filled it in and probably within 5 minutes of doing it he got a call from Veeam.
They didn't try any sales pitch and did ask if he needed any help in getting the backup setup, so I guess if you think you will need help then use your actual details on the form. :D

lmohanarun
13-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Heres how I use Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging Software.
The clue is Imaging. Avoid cloning if you can.
This answers the question "Should I clone or should I image"

Use Differential rather than incremental.
So when and if our system fails, insert the Boot DVD disk, remember
to set the option "Insert into Boot Recovery Menu" in Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging software.

Set pref. options and save to a Backup definition file.
Run the backupdef.xml from within.
This ensures 1 boot dvd disk, 1 full backup, 1 differential backup
take diffl backup everyday scheduled say at end-of-workday. or weekend.

Regarding keep of two data backups - one daily and one monthly.
If you use Code42 crashplan, they let you store your data securely offsite.
You only need to store the bootdisk and the full backup offsite.
You can infact give it to your relatives located somewhere else,
and save the cost of licensing Code42 crashplan. Its a good software though,
very intuitive and the sort.

Also for further resilient Windows PC, use Solid State Disk.
Search for IOSafe Fire and Water-Proof NAS/RAID storage solution.
Try for FIPS-approved. Federal Information Processing Standards.
If you want Encrypted offsite storage, search for " Integral SSD "
FIPS 140-2 validated.

If you like I can give you a screencast first in fact abt. using Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging.
Its in one of my disks somewhere and I need to find it and it may take time.
If you are interested, let me know I will send it across to your email or post it here.

If stuck for a procedure, tip: search youtube for a video walkthrough etc.
"how to..." videos.

Things to tip about, things to think about:
Try to mentally go through the process of having to restore.
Insert DVD, turn on system, choose Recovery option.
Insert a USB portable external disk which contains Full Disk image.
Restore them both.
Then backup from your most recent differential.
System will return to as it was when you last ran differential.

Thx,
L.Mohan Arun
Google my name for what I choose to share-.:-)

Blue Druid
13-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Thank you for that. I expect that it will be very helpful to refer to when I come to utilize it over the weekend.

lmohanarun
14-08-2015, 01:35 AM

Heres the link to my screencast of How to use Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging.

I used the free edition, but we all know any software company has to be helped to let
them stay afloat and develop more useful things for us. :_)

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cojI6FfaMD

"backup from your most recent differential" should actually read "restore from your most recent differential" in my previous post.

Things to keep in mind:
A disk (usually) consists of atleast 2 partitions.
Choose differential over incremental, if you can.
First create a boot DVD. (step 1)
Then use a USB connected portable external drive to store the
initial full disk image (step number 2).
Then take differential everyday (step number 3).
These are the only three I need, I believe.

Primary Partition is the one boot partition.
(Thats what I tend to think)

In any case, I will email the manufacturers of the Macrium Software Company
so they know about this post here and correct ourselves if we mistook anything :_)

Thanks
L.Mohan Arun
Google my name to see if my blog is of any value :_)