PDA

View Full Version : Windows phone file status problem

Tony
09-08-2015, 12:30 PM
For some reason all the documents on my phone seem to have become read-only, both on the SD card and the phone. I've searched and found various things which suggest the SD card may be failing, but that wouldn't explain why the phone files are behaving in the same way.

Any ideas here?

Kame
09-08-2015, 10:08 PM
How have you discovered they have become read only?

It is probably the link or the way it gets mounted from whatever is accessing it. It could also be permissions of the user. That is if course if it is connected to a computer and it is read only.

Cheers,

KK

Tony
09-08-2015, 10:41 PM
These are stand-alone docs created with office on the phone. - not connected to a computer . I discovered it by making an edit and then trying to save it when it said it couldn't be done because it is read-only. Not just happening with one doc - I've tried it with others with the same result.

Kame
10-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Can you save the document as another name to your source, sd card or phone. That will eliminate if its only the file in read only. If you cant save to the source, then that has been mounted in read only, only the usual cause is if errors exist on the file system.

So if files can be saved as another name, office program is probably newer than the version that created the document, so possibly a setting to turn off compatibility but previous version programs may not be able to read the new format.

If you cant save to the source, back everything up.

Then you can either attempt to fix the file system or easier to format the source. Sounds like phone storage may require the same, its possible to corrupt the file system on both, but strange that they happen at the same time.

SD card could be failing too, so you may consider a new one in case.

Cheers,

KK

Tony
10-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I can save docs with a new name.

I realize it may be the SD card failing, but I am having the same problem with the phone storage. I just created a new document and saved it to the phone. Then I re-opened it, changed it and couldn't save it because it was read-only. It had never been near the SD card.

I can see how to format the SD card, but what do I do about the phone storage?

Tony
10-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Veeery interesting...

I formatted the SD card and created a new document, saved it then edited it and it saved OK to the SD card - not too surprising maybe. But then I created a doc and saved it to the phone and that also re-edited and saved OK!

The "bad" docs that I moved to the phone are still read-only on the phone. Opened one and re-saved it to the SD card and then edited it and it is still read-only. All very weird.

So it looks like I can solve the problem, but it would be nice to have a more definitive answer as to what originally went wrong.

Kame
10-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Well that eliminates the source. The issue would lie with those particular files. If its not a hassle, would open them up, copy all content and paste it inside a new document then try saving it as a new file, then try saving it over the top of the old one. Then test it out.

It could be an issue with the document format itself, older versions with newer office app could cause this or newer format with older program, or even just corrupted documents.

Cheers,

KK

Tony
10-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Shouldn't be a problem with the app - they were all created with the same version of Office for the Windows phone. When I get a moment I'll try what you suggested.

Thanks for the help.