PDA

View Full Version : 2Degrees USB Broadband Connection & DVR/Hosting/Ping

CCF
08-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Hi all

Experimenting with a setup at the moment and having some issue pinging.

The general idea is that I have a location that I like to place a DVR where I can remote access/manage the DVR, however due to the site limitations, I cant organise long-term DSL connection, thus have fallen back to using 3G connection, which at the moment is with 2Degree.

The current setup is 2Degree USB modem connected to a TP-Link 3220 router. Port forwarding have been setup on the router to pass the required connections to the DVR, no biggie on this side. Internet access from devices (via 3G) that are connected to the TP-Link 3220 works fine, no biggie there too. SPI firewall service on the router is disabled. Dynamic dns has also been setup on the router, no-ip.com, no problem with connection & validation there too. Problem arises when I attempt ping the external ip address (the IP address assigned to the 3G modem by 2Degree), whether it is via the ip or domain name, ping just doenst work. Which of course means none of the services that I had setup would work...

I've read on some forums that it is typical for telcos to disable incoming connection on these usb modem connections, is this applicable in NZ? Has any one else attempted a similar setup?

Im thinking if all else fails, I might go with Woosh...

Cheers

Kame
08-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Ping can be abused and is probably prevented by the router, theres probably another setting in there that prevents ICMP, which are ping packets, enable this.

Cheers,

KK

berryb
08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
2Degrees seem to block some ports. I have not had the time to investigate how many and which ones. Could not remotely access an Alarm module on ports 9920 or 10000. Worked fine onsite but not offsite from a 2Degrees mobile phone. As soon as the phone was connected to another network offsite connection worked so it had to be a 2Degrees issue.

Now the alarm module was on Spark and a phone app accessing via 2Dgrees so opposite round to you but your issue could be related to 2Degrees port blocking.

In saying that a DVR shouldn't need to ping the IP before working so I expect the issue is not that you cannot ping but the port you have forwarded is being blocked.

CCF
10-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys.

Will have another look around the settings to see if there are any other PING related settings. Alternative I might try vodafone to see if its 2Degree that may have blocked the required ports.

Cheers!

Alex B
10-08-2015, 03:54 PM
I think 2Degrees, like most other telco's use CG-NAT. Meaning Dynamic DNS will not work.

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2015, 08:21 PM
A few things:
1) Alex B is right, 2degrees have multiple different APNs you can use, some don't allow that so you may be out of luck
2) Make sure you have hairpin NAT enabled on the router, otherwise some routers won't let you ping their external address from an internal IP address
3) Double-check and make sure that you're actually getting a unique IP, ring 2degrees and ask them for a confirmation

CCF
13-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys.

Its looking pretty bleak...

Are there any other wireless ISP in Auckland, apart from Woosh? Or whats the cheapest ISP/plan avail now days? I cant seem to see anything cheaper than $49 per month.