PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Home System Restore Points

Terry Porritt
07-08-2015, 04:15 PM
A very strange problem,
System Restore points vanish after doing a system restart ie warm re-boot, and the corresponding files in System Volume Information have vamoosed.

Create a restore point again and then shut down followed by a cold boot and restore points remain, as they should.

This is consistently repeatable, and has caused angst when playing around and I wanted to restore, only to find the system restore window empty.

Could someone check their system to see if the same thing happens ?

(Changing virtual memory management from automatic to custom setting does not affect this)

wainuitech
07-08-2015, 04:27 PM
A very strange problem,
System Restore points vanish after doing a system restart ie warm re-boot, and the corresponding files in System Volume Information have vamoosed.

Create a restore point again and then shut down followed by a cold boot and restore points remain, as they should.

This is consistently repeatable, and has caused angst when playing around and I wanted to restore, only to find the system restore window empty.

Could someone check their system to see if the same thing happens ?

(Changing virtual memory management from automatic to custom setting does not affect this) Yep had the same thing happen on Wednesday, went to do a restore from the previous day after testing some software that was questionable on W10 and all system points were gone. In fact it had actually disabled system restore, I certainly didn't disable it :(

Ended up laying back down a image I had made the day or so before that instead.

Terry Porritt
07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Anyone checked System Restore points yet with both cold and warm reboots ?

This problem may be related to power settings in some way, if hibernation is turned off via powercfg -h off command, this removes hyberfil.sys file, then I lose restore points with both cold and warm reboots.

If I turn hibernate back on, then restore points are not lost with a cold reboot, only with warm reboot.................go figure.........:banana

linw
08-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Checked two comps, here, and both kept Restore enabled. Hibernate off on both.

Terry Porritt
08-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Checked two comps, here, and both kept Restore enabled. Hibernate off on both.

The problem was most likely with my set up and maybe playing around a bit with arcane settings and commands :)

I found that system file checker found some corrupted files it could not repair, and also that the DVD drive was prone to disappearing which required a fiddle to get it back.

So I'm doing a new install and checking each major change to ensure all is OK.

Thanks for checking anyway. If I find the problem recurs with some known action, like synchronizing Firefox for example, I'll report back.

Cheers