PDA

View Full Version : Reformat and clean-install of Windows 7 Pro C Drive on desktop

R.M.
07-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Hi all my knowledgeable people. I'm about to set out on the above pathway - always makes me nervous.

First things first - my OS is Windows 7 Pro. All my data is backed up onto external drives (including the Active Disc file). I just need to export Outlook and put it in a safe place.

What I want to do is to repartition the HDD into just 2 partitions (currently it has 4 partitions). Am I able to do that as part of the clean install?

And then I want to reinstall an Active Disc Image from last November.

Now - can anyone see flaws in my plan? What have I forgotten? I just need a few of you to figuratively hold my hand over the next few hours. :)

nmercer
07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
you might be able to delete the partitions you don't want and merge them from Disk Management

make sure yo have a backup, but try that first, if thats all you are trying to do

R.M.
07-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Yes - I tried that, but it didn't look very successful. The other issue I have (and photography is why I have so many external HDDs - :( ). I added a new external HDD last week, and nothing I have done will make my computer 'see' it.

dugimodo
07-08-2015, 11:37 AM
If you are wanting to start over completely just delete the existing partitions and create new ones from the windows install disk when you boot off it.

Restoring a disk image is not the same as a clean install though, you'd make a boot disk from the imaging software (Active@ ?), boot off that, then restore the image to the target drive. Active@ may let you resize the target and has some partitioning tools as well so you may be able to do everything from there.

I often have issues booting from a restored image though, you may still have to boot of the windows install disk and do a repair afterwards to restore the ability to boot.

R.M.
07-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Yes - I think I understand that. The last time I used Active @ it was successful, but I wasn't mucking about with partitions.

I have tried Disk Management, and also Paragon Partition Manager - but haven't managed to get the results I wanted (to enlarge C Drive, remove F Drive). I get an unallocated area (ok - only 16 Mbs, but it upsets my tidy mind). It also tells me I have an I/O error. Then there is this business of the computer not finding the new external HDD...

So - you see, there is a collection of problems...

dugimodo
07-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Disk management can expand a partition into unused space but only if there's no other partitions in the way. So you could delete all the partitions, restore your image to the drive by itself, make it bootable, then boot off it and use disk management to resize that partition and create a new one. All of which assumes you are restoring a small partition that will take up less than the size of the target drive.

You should also be able to do all this from the Active@ boot disk. I paid for Active@ and like it but actually end up using Aomei http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html most of the time as it seems to be more reliable and has tools for aligning SSD's

As for the external drive you can't "see" Try it on another PC if you can then check to see if it shows up in disk management. If it's USB powered try a different port, especially a rear one if you are using the front. It could be that the disk format isn't recognised and if so disk management might give some clues, or it could be that the drive is not getting enough power from the USB port. Some drives had a cable to plug into 2 ports for this reason. If it's a USB 3.0 drive and you are using USB 2.0 it could be power as well because the USB 3.0 standard can out put nearly twice the power of USB 2.0 (900mA vs 500mA)

I rarely restore images though, most of the time I'm cloning a working drive onto another larger one and Active@ is not as good at that in my experience.

R.M.
07-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Yes - ok. I've now got my 'puter to 'see' the new external drive by shifting it to a USB 2 port (away from the USB 3). Then I reduced the size of C Drive (I wanted to do that) so that was successful.

What I have now in Disk Management is (going from L to R) is: 84 MB System Reserved, 16MB unallocated, C Drive - 195.31GB, 58.50GB Unallocated, then F Drive - 677.60GB.
What I would like to do is: take the first 16MB into C Drive, increase C Drive to a total of 200GB, and the put the second unallocated area (58.50GB) into F Drive. Carefully! And with no mistakes...

I still have I/O errors (in both Disk Management and also in Paragon Partition Manager (the later meaning I can no longer use Partition Manager). In F Drive, I am not given the option to extend, only to shrink. I'm given the option to extend in C Drive (but that's not my most pressing need).

Hope that is clear - what I have, and what I would like. But I'm now needing some clear instructions about my next move (and also what to do about this persistent complaints of I/O errors). :)

Thanks for any help going.

linw
07-08-2015, 02:24 PM
'Disk Management' ain't the best/easiest tool to use. I have now switched to 'Mini Tool Partition Wizard', free for non commercial use.

Available here http://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html

I also have tried to get rid of a very small unallocated partition but it seems these v small ones can escape under the radar. Maybe they need to be a certain size to be managed.

So, forgetting the 16MB one, it is easy to expand the C: drive as it will use some from the unallocated chunk to its right. The F: can then be extended. The Mini Tool will allow you to adjust the amount of unallocated space before and after the F: drive. So you want 0 before and 0 after.

Good luck!

Those I/O errors are a worry though. Hard to say what would be causing those. Could be several areas, I guess. Can bad areas on the drive give I/O errors? (Someone else may know this!). Bad cable? Bad electronics? I think I would do the easy bit and test the surface of the drives to eliminate that. You want to know this drive is fine, anyway. Reseat/change cable.

Such fun you are having!

Cheers.

wainuitech
07-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Playing about with partitions on a drive that has I/O errors is dangerous.

You would be best to stop any work and find the cause.

The main causes are Faulty Drive,faulty motherboard ( including SATA port), faulty cable, or faulty power going to the drive. The errors are generally caused by lose of contact between the HDD and the Board.

Playing with Partitions and the drive loses contact can result in the lose of everything.

R.M.
07-08-2015, 02:30 PM
"Playing about with partitions on a drive that has I/O errors is dangerous."

OK - I hear you! Sounds like I need some expert help. :) Need a Nerd?? Or what? Need a Nerd would come to my house, otherwise I have to haul everything out and go somewhere where they will insult me :(

wainuitech
07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Open the eventvwr there under Windows Logs / System will be the errors, double click one or more of them and see what they say, it should tell you what the I/O error was caused by.

Once you know its then easier to sort out.

07-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Yes - ok. I've now got my 'puter to 'see' the new external drive by shifting it to a USB 2 port (away from the USB 3). Then I reduced the size of C Drive (I wanted to do that) so that was successful.

What I have now in Disk Management is (going from L to R) is: 84 MB System Reserved, 16MB unallocated, C Drive - 195.31GB, 58.50GB Unallocated, then F Drive - 677.60GB.
What I would like to do is: take the first 16MB into C Drive, increase C Drive to a total of 200GB, and the put the second unallocated area (58.50GB) into F Drive. Carefully! And with no mistakes...

OK, its time to be sensible about this

16MB unallocated , dont waste time trying to reallocate 16M . Thats M not G
Why are you on one hand reducing C then wanting to increase it again.
Dont p*ss about trying to get another paltry 5G on C:

You may need partition manager software to increase F by the 58G if Win wont do it. There are plenty about, even the 30 day demo versions will do what you need (one time use)

IO errors need to be sorted. It may just be that USB hard drive that initially wouldnt show.
But be carefull, it may be the HD or controller. I would run a test tool across the PC's hard drive, the HD manufacturers allways have a free one
you can use

R.M.
07-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Ok - I got fed-up and went out for a while. Now you lot will all be having pre-dinner drinkies, while I have eaten a solitary meal. :(

eventvwr is new to me (as my son says, I am a good end-user!), but don't usually go much beyond that. This is what it shows - no critical events, mostly something call Schannel (some sort of security??). Hope this makes sense to you guys & gals. 6656

wainuitech
07-08-2015, 08:19 PM
:rolleyes:Wrong place R.M.

Click start, in the search type eventvwr, open it, then under windows logs / System look for errors.

Just by luck on this W7 I got some errors today, thats from pulling out a USB drive and not turning it off like you are meant to correctly :D :rolleyes:

This is what you are looking for:

R.M.
07-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Is this what we are looking for?

wainuitech
07-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Harddisk5 looks like its the USB drive you were having problems with. If there are no other Disk Errors Eg: Hard Disk 0 or 1 you should be fine.

R.M.
07-08-2015, 09:15 PM
So I don't need to do anything about it? (!)
But I'm still left with the problem of trying to extend the size of F Drive with 58.50GB of unallocated space just in front of it. Or do I just have to ignore it? In the meantime I've slowly shuffled photos around, so I don't absolutely have to do anything - but it is aggravating. (Did I say that I have a touch of the OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :) )

"What I have now in Disk Management is (going from L to R) is: 84 MB System Reserved, 16MB unallocated, C Drive - 195.31GB, 58.50GB Unallocated, then F Drive - 677.60GB."

wainuitech
07-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Your easiest bet is in post#6 Dug posted a link to AOMEI Partition manager. Install that, you can make a bootable CD from its options, boot from that and you can move, resize, delete partitions with ease. Select the partition you want to alter - Its simple drag the sliders to adjust, you can move/resize and do anything with all partitions. ( be careful though you can just as easy wipe a drive)

You can also alter partitions from within windows but it will require rebooting to do it from memory, the Bootable CD option works better.

On that page - top right, look at the support, and it gives detailed instructions with pictures on what you want to do. :)

I use the Pro Version almost every day (may wear out the CD - lol)

R.M.
07-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks very much for your help - it is truly appreciated! I will deal with it tomorrow - I have eventually learned that it is not a good idea to start anything adventurous at this time on a Friday evening. :)

dugimodo
07-08-2015, 11:18 PM
One little tip about AOMEI that catches me out for about 20 seconds every time I haven't used it in a while, when you make all your changes and hit the button it actually hasn't done anything, it takes you back to the main screen showing you how it will be when it's done and you then have to click the apply button. A simple thing but not always immediately obvious.

R.M.
08-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Ah - thanks for that.:)

R.M.
08-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Goodness, that was quick and easily managed! Mission accomplished, much better using AOMEI than grumpy Disk Management (or in fact Paragon Partition Manager). I spent MUCH longer pondering the situation than in the actual execution. :)

Thanks heaps (and you know what this means - I'll be back again as soon as my 'fiddling' gets me into trouble and I need help to get out of it!).

mzee
08-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I always use Part-edit available in boot-able Linux CD's, I use Puppy 6. A disadvantage of partitioning from within Windows is that operations on the 'C' drive are restricted as it is being used. Linux is also useful for deleting files, but be careful not to delete any system files.

linw
08-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Mini Tool can deal with C: drive. It tells you you need to reboot and applies the changes then.

Anyway, good to know the bizzo has been done.