PDA

View Full Version : SLI Motherboard

BrotherDragon
06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm looking to upgrade my computer with a non-overclocking Intel 1150 socket CPU but I want a motherboard that can support two GTX970s in SLI. I hear that ASUS makes the most reliable motherboards but I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for a fairly basic motherboard that doesn't have WiFi.

pctek
06-08-2015, 02:22 PM
ASUS or Gigabyte are excellent manufacturers.

SLI, though....I have done it...but really for the cost of 2 cards, you sure don't get 2 x the performance.
Better to buy a higher end single card.

dugimodo
06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
I've argued against SLI a few times also, didn't go well for me when I tried it. I had heat issues and only some games that benefited.
It doesn't cost too much to get a board that supports it though in case you really decide you want to try.

+1 for Asus & Gigabyte and personally I'd add Asrock to the list. Asrock often offer a few more features for the same price or are just a little cheaper.
My personal preference is in the order;
1.Asus
2.Gigabyte
3.Asrock & also MSI(not that easy to get in NZ)
If you aren't interested in overclocking just pick any board that has the features you want at the right price and don't worry too much about chipset.
SLI and overclocking features tend to go together on motherboards though.

Skylake is due sometime soon and might be worth waiting for, if not for the CPU performance then for the new motherboards.

BrotherDragon
09-08-2015, 04:20 AM
Well I've made my choices for my new computer. I'll put a i5-6600k on an ASUS Pro Gamer motherboard with 16gb(2x8) DDR4-2133 RAM with two GTX970 video cards in SLI driving a 1080p G-Sync monitor at 144hz(I already had one GTX970 otherwise I would have gone for a single GTX980). I wasn't keen on overclocking because I want a quiet rig that doesn't crank out a lot of heat but there just aren't any motherboards that offer SLI without overclocking capabilities. In addition, the i5-6600k is only $US250 and modern motherboards make basic overclocking extremely easy so I might as well have a setup that allows me to try it. I hope to have my new computer finished before the first of September. Thanks!