PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2010 worksheet copying

tinakarori
03-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Up until Excel 2010, I could copy a worksheet from one workbook to another with a fair expectation that its formats would copy across unchanged. Also, that if I wished to copy a background colour from one workbook to another, there was a "Copy Cell Format" command with which to do so.

These abilities do not appear to have been carried over to Excel 2010, or if they have, I don't know where to find them. I have a worksheet I often use for clients that is a facsimile of a GST101 Return form, a full facsimile including grey shading, and beige shading on part of the left and all of the right margins. Perhaps something of an overkill, but it definitely helps some clients when the facsimile I email them looks just like the paper form they have in front of them.

Up until Excel XP/2000 I could copy this worksheet from my Templates folder into a client folder, and everything including the background shading remained unchanged. When I do so in Excel 2010, the beige shading is abruptly transmuted into a violent purple shade!

Can anyone explain what is happening, and how I fix it, please?

the_bogan
04-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi Tinakarori,

I just tried to replicate your issue, but wasn't having any luck. When you copy from one workbook to another how are you doing this?
If it's the whole worksheet you want to copy, my method is to right click the tab, 'move or copy' to new book with the 'create a copy' box checked
This works fine for me is .xls , .xlsx and .xlsm formats in 2010

Lurking
04-08-2015, 05:07 PM
I have XL2000 which has been made functional for later versions.

Wife has XL2010 and I did a spreadsheet with numbers and colours, opened up book 2, back to sheet 1 and did a copy and pasted to book 2, worked fine.

page layout, r/click, format, colours

Hope this helps.

lurking.