PDA

View Full Version : Offshore TV shows

Bryden
03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
I am enjoying my free 12 month trial of Lightbox and have become seriously addicted (grin) to The Good Wife - have now seen all 4 series available on that network.... I am happy to take out a sub for say Amazon Prime, or Hulu etc. but wondered if there is an easy way to accomplish this?

I have installed a VPN so I can circumvent the location question -

Just wondered if others are doing this - no point in re-inventing the wheel....

Bryden

Bryden
04-08-2015, 08:48 AM
So 37 views but not a single reply.... Is this considered so fringe that everyone is keeping their heads down.... grin....

Mirddes
04-08-2015, 08:53 AM
No its just anyone who has a clue wants to tell you to board a sailing ship and say arrrr

dugimodo
04-08-2015, 09:06 AM
It's been discussed a few times recently in other threads. Unotelly was recommended a few times to avoid geo blocking. A few others were mentioned as well.

I have tried Hola and it works and is free, but recently seen a lot of posts regarding it's possibly dodgy methods. Basically the free version uses your PC as web access on the network for others on the Hola network and Hola sells access to their network. There are claims for example it's been used as a botnet for attacks on websites.

As you've already set up a VPN though all you should need to do is figure out which service has the content you want and set up an account with them. Netflix has the advantage that you can sign up for a local NZ account and then use it with your VPN to view locked content, it just changes what you can view based on your apparent IP address location dynamically. Other services may require you to have an overseas address and credit card but it can be done apparently.

04-08-2015, 09:40 AM
So 37 views but not a single reply.... Is this considered so fringe that everyone is keeping their heads down.... grin....

many would just download the programs or use pirated streaming services, thats not legal , at all. But by far the easiest (and thats another topic for discussion)
The programs you want may even be on Youtube ,many are .

Have a look at geekzone, plenty of info or US based services & VPN services etc .
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=151

Alex B
04-08-2015, 10:23 AM
As per the other thread you started, you do not need a VPN and a VPN is not the best option. Maybe you're just using VPN as a generic term to get around geo blocking?

Bryden
04-08-2015, 02:39 PM
I did install the VPN for geo blocking.... what are the preferred options in your view Alex please?

CBS broadcasts the programme I want to watch but I have to fill in all sorts of data to subscribe - guess I could use something fictitious and if I make payment via Paypal there would be no indication of where I live - am I right?

1101 d/l the programmes - they are very large files and I only want to watch them once and am happy to take out a short sub....

nmercer
04-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Unotelly or Unblock-US are the 2 most widely known DNS services. It will be much faster than VPN. I think someone already mentioned this to you last week

Bryden
04-08-2015, 03:01 PM
I only posed my question yesterday - I tried using Search for VPN but maybe I should have tried geo-blocking.... will go and check those two out - thanks for the heads-up

Alex B
04-08-2015, 03:53 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?139933-VPNs Have a look at the second page of this thread. But as Nathan has pointed out Unotelly and Unblock-US are 2 of the good ones.

Bryden
04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Woops - sorry, I had forgotten about that quick post.... I have signed up with Unotelly - I guess I need to sign up with CBS, Hulu etc. to view their content.... also assuming that requires a US address... hmmmm.....

nmercer
04-08-2015, 04:08 PM
I only posed my question yesterday - I tried using Search for VPN but maybe I should have tried geo-blocking.... will go and check those two out - thanks for the heads-up

26 July http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?139933-VPNs

definitely would recommend a DNS service for you instead of VPN. It will be much much faster

Alex B
04-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Yes that's right, just use any US address, it doesn't really matter.

Bryden
05-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Have got Unotelly up and running.... however, to view shows I am interested in I need to pay - CBS All Access for instance.... that is fine BUT they will only take a US credit card.... sigh.... how do I deal with that?

Bryden
06-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I have removed the VPN Hide.me - I noticed my computer was much slower and I was having issues with Windows Live Mail hanging - I kept getting the "not responding" message and had to close and re-open. I may be blaming the wrong thing but it seems to date from installation of the VPN. I did the uninstall through Control Panel - got the message that not all files were removed and the rest could be removed manually - singularly unhelpful given it didn't tell me what was left behind.... Bryden

micky
06-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Try using geek uninstaller will remove everything

nmercer
06-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Have got Unotelly up and running.... however, to view shows I am interested in I need to pay - CBS All Access for instance.... that is fine BUT they will only take a US credit card.... sigh.... how do I deal with that?

debit cards normally work since they do not have an address associated with them

Bryden
06-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Thanks for those two tips - geekuninstaller and using a debit card.... just goes to prove that there is more than one way to skin a cat....

What does DNS stand for?

nmercer
06-08-2015, 01:40 PM
DNS is http://tinyurl.com/6te7b9z

nmercer
06-08-2015, 01:45 PM
the way that services like Unotelly and Unblock US work is

basically does a combination of DNS poisoning + reverse proxy.

When your device tries to contact the NetFlix authorization server, instead of resolving to the real server, it resolves to unblock-us’s reverse proxy.

Your device then talks to that reverse proxy, which then talks to NetFlix on your behalf.

So as far as NetFlix is concerned, you’re coming from a device that’s located in the US.

It issues you a token, which you then take off to the NetFlix content servers (which aren’t geo-fenced), and ask to stream the content

This is great, because it only means the authentication traffic is going over unblock-us, and your streaming speeds are not limited by the VPN speed.

Bryden
06-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the explanation of DNS.... Sorry for all these questions - having Unotelly on my computer, does this mean that any time I use Internet Explorer or Chrome etc. no-one can locate my computer or does (for instance) Unotelly only operate in relation to sites like Netflix etc. I just want to be clear what I am doing.... I am not trying to pirate anything but would prefer that I do not leave a trail of where I have been....

nmercer
06-08-2015, 05:49 PM
if you don't want to leave a trial of where you have been you probably either just want to get over it, or not use an internet connected device at all

you've got cookies, IP addresses, computer names, all sorts of things

your best bet is to use "Tor", use a browser like Tor browser, delete your Facebook account, do not use Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo or your ISPs email service, don't use OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive.

My suggestion is to just get over it.

Bryden
06-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Yikes.... Either Unotelly or hide.me has mangled my connection for my Panasonic smart TV.... now I cannot use the Internet surfing option on the TV and have tried repeatedly to fix it without success.... guess I could be having a tech visit. Memo to self - do not install programmes without first creating a restore point.... sigh....