PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 - Default Account Picture Setting

learning
03-08-2015, 08:35 AM
It irked me that Windows decided to use my MS Account sign in and along with the picture of my MSN account.

So I removed the MS Account and using local one.

However the Picture remains there from my MS account. I know I can change the picture to something different but I want to just go back to the default one that was there initially. I cant find a setting to do that.

I tried deleting the pic file under: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\AccountPictures
but the picture is still in my login icon

wainuitech
03-08-2015, 09:49 AM
You're looking in the wrong location by the looks.

Have a read of : account-picture-change-windows-10 (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6795-account-picture-change-windows-10-a.html)

The default pictures are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

dugimodo
03-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Mine grabbed a picture from my skype profile, no big deal but it is a little irritating when they make these calls for you without asking.

nmercer
03-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Mine grabbed a picture from my skype profile, no big deal but it is a little irritating when they make these calls for you without asking.

I guess you signed in with a Microsoft Account when it asked

There are actually a whole heap of benefits you get from using a Microsoft Account

Your Microsoft account gives you access to apps and games from the Windows Store, and lets you see synch settings, favourites, history, passwords, screen backgrounds and other stuff like all your Windows settings, mouse speed etc across multiple Windows 10 devices

learning
03-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks Wainui, I will give that a try.

I did sign in with MS Account but only for One Note when it prompted, and it did recommend signing into Windows with that account at the same prompt to which I said No.
I have no idea why the heck it did it anyway.

While I understand the benefits, I simply don't want my MS account lingering on that PC or any other PCs I use.

wainuitech
03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks Wainui, I will give that a try.

I did sign in with MS Account but only for One Note when it prompted, and it did recommend signing into Windows with that account at the same prompt to which I said No.
I have no idea why the heck it did it anyway.

While I understand the benefits, I simply don't want my MS account lingering on that PC or any other PCs I use. Yep, not everyone wants everything synced like MS have set to default.

To disable it, while logged in a MS account, go into the Settings, Accounts, Sync settings - you can then disable items you don't want synced. You have to be on a MS account to disable them, after that you can change back to a Local account.

dugimodo
04-08-2015, 10:21 AM
I guess you signed in with a Microsoft Account when it asked

There are actually a whole heap of benefits you get from using a Microsoft Account

Your Microsoft account gives you access to apps and games from the Windows Store, and lets you see synch settings, favourites, history, passwords, screen backgrounds and other stuff like all your Windows settings, mouse speed etc across multiple Windows 10 devices

Yes I did and I generally like most of the things you mention. I use the same MS account login for all my PC's and for skype and I like that my E-mail address settings etc all carry over. I find it much easier setting up a new PC when I use the same login, and also local networking works better that way. I also like access to the store and have no interest in using multiple different logins to get it.

What I'm not so keen on is some of the default decisions MS assumes you will want and makes for you. Yes they can be undone but I feel like some of them should either be offered as an option for me to agree to the first time or simply off by default.

For example I set my Skype picture to something other people can use to identify me on skype calls, that doesn't mean I particularly want to see it myself every time I log into my PC. As I already said no big deal and I'm not angry about it, but it would not have been my choice.

Then there's the desktop background thing, I sometimes set some wallpapers on my personal desktop at home that I don't really want appearing on the laptop I take to work sometimes or the 60" screen in the lounge I use on my media PC. I like that there's an option to sync them but I feel like just doing it without warning is ill considered.That larger than life topless girl on the beach wallpaper that appeared on the big screen at home is how I discovered this feature.