PDA

View Full Version : Unable to use hotel and cafe wifi that uses login screen

HornbyFlyBoy
02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Hello

Have had a problem for sometime where my laptop will connect to wifi networks at work and friend's houses etc, but when travelling I can not get internet at hotels and cafes (even McDonald's) that use wifi with a browser login screen. The Login screen just does not show up as it should whether I try to navigate to a website or not. I can see and connection to the network which is all fine, but when I open a web browser, any web browser, the login window fails to appear. I thought this was an issue caused ages ago with a software corruption, but I have just done a clean windows install of windows 7 without any other software loaded the same thing is happening with this clean install. Anyone have any ideas for this very frustrating issue.

Cheers,
Sean.

nmercer
02-08-2015, 08:46 PM
what did you do to the machine after you clean installed it?

gary67
02-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Any browser add ons?

HornbyFlyBoy
02-08-2015, 09:50 PM
No, no browser add ons. After clean install ran all windows important updates and walked to McDonalds to test. Then tested at three different friends places where it worked flawlessly.

Any ideas?

wainuitech
02-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Have a read of why-cant-i-connect-to-my-hotels-wireless-network/ (https://askleo.com/why-cant-i-connect-to-my-hotels-wireless-network/) Including the comments theres several suggestions.

Alex B
02-08-2015, 11:58 PM
I've seen malware add a proxy server before. Check your IE proxy settings are empty, even if you don't use IE.

HornbyFlyBoy
03-08-2015, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the input wainuitech. I did come across that page sometime ago, but alas, after following many of the suggestions I still had/have the same problem.

HornbyFlyBoy
03-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Even having the problem with a freshly reinstalled Windows 7. Have always been very malware aware. Really get to the end of my tether with this one.

03-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Hello

Have had a problem for sometime where my laptop will connect to wifi networks at work and friend's houses etc

Since the wifi connection does work at home, the issue may be with poorly designed 'free' wifi interface at MacDonalds etc
There might also be a 3rd party firewall on your machine, what AV/internet security are you using.

My phones wifi doesnt work (cant browse or get email) at McDonalds either .

HornbyFlyBoy
03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
At the most recent test it was a clean Windows 7 install with no third party fire wall or AV software. Tried it with windows firewall on and off. Usually I run Zonealarm.

Cheers.

beama
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Ive had problems with win 7 and hotspots as well sorry to say havn't found a fix connects fine at home though. Doesnt matter which browser I use.

bevy121
03-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Argggg!! ZoneAlarm......

That could be the problem actually, whether it's on OR off!

I'd suggest getting rid of it completely just use windows firewall and a good av (Eset Nod32 if you can pay for one)

You may well find your connection problems disappear along with zonealarm if you do

HornbyFlyBoy
03-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Argggg!! ZoneAlarm......

That could be the problem actually, whether it's on OR off!

I'd suggest getting rid of it completely just use windows firewall and a good av (Eset Nod32 if you can pay for one)

You may well find your connection problems disappear along with zonealarm if you do

Again, I used a clean install of Windows & with nothing else on the laptop. Zonealarm was not installed. I just stated that I did use Zonealarm before.

nmercer
03-08-2015, 01:40 PM
does it happen on any other machines you use, or just that one?

HornbyFlyBoy
03-08-2015, 04:59 PM
does it happen on any other machines you use, or just that one?

Just that laptop. Other laptop is fine. One thing though. Was out today and was able to connect to a Spark wifi connection near a phone box. Wasn't able to do that before reinstall, so getting better, but still can not connect at a couple of cafes (I tried on way home).

Cheers,
Sean.