PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Upgrade - Future Reinstalls

learning
01-08-2015, 09:43 AM
So since Windows 10 upgrade is free for Win 7 users I was thinking of doing this.
I currently have Windows 7 ultimate

However I have a question regarding licensing for future reinstalls.
When you upgrade to Win 10, then in future say if you reformat the hdd and need to reinstall Win 10, do you need to install Win 7 first ?

But if you just install Win 10 after formatting then how do you know what the activation key is ?
Is that provided to you during the upgrade?

Also I am not a fan of "upgrades". I prefer clean installs.

So If there is provision for future reinstalls...then if I upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7, then can I immediately format my hdd and then do clean install Win 10 with the keys that were provided during upgrade or is there some restriction ?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2015, 09:50 AM
From what I've read if you upgrade from Win7 or 8 keep all files, it'll activate after the upgrade.

You'll have the option of reverting back to 7 or 8. As long as it's within a month.

If you do a reset or format later on (of Win10), it should stay activated.

You can do a clean install of Win10 after you upgrade it. Thats what I did. I didnt keep anything after I selected upgrade. I did a clean install.

Well, I thought it was a clean install but the windows.old folder was still there.

Disk cleanup couldnt find it and I couldnt delete the folder. So, I wiped the whole hdd again

It took a while for it to activate, but it did. After I read online MS were activating generic Win10 keys, I put one in, and it activated straight away. After I selected Go To Store

learning
01-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Sweet! Thanks Speedy. I will go ahead and upgrade to Win 10. Once upgraded, format hdd and perform clean Windows 10 install.

So when you went to perform Windows 10 clean install, it prompts for key and where did you get this key? Was this provided to you during first Win 10 upgrade
or you literally goggled a generic Windows 10 key and put it in ?

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Nope it didnt ask for a key. As soon as you select upgrade (I mounted the ISO the MS tool created in Win8, then ran the setup file in it),
it updates a few things, then reboots. Then you'll end up in Win10

I think I did mine wrong. I think I was meant to keep all files/programs. I didnt. I did a clean install. Which I think confused it lol

If you keep all files, (tried this with EffieC last night) it'll carry the old key to the Win10 activation (thats what I've read anyway). Once it has finished upgrading, it'll automatically activate windows 10

Then in the future (if you format / reset / do a clean install)l, it should activate without you having to put a key in (Have no idea how this works). But again thats what I've read. BUT, I have no idea what you would do if it didnt activate again

But its not like previous versions of windows, Windows 10 checks the devices in your system NOT the hardware

learning
01-08-2015, 10:24 AM
That's interesting. If I format my hdd and perform clean install then how the heck Win 10 knows I have license for it from previous upgrade since there is nothing on a clean hdd to verify?

Unless you sign into MS account online during upgrade and then when you perform a clean reinstall in future and you sign in again, it verifies based on your MS account record?

I think I will try on another test PC that has Win 7 Pro first and see how that goes

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I havent signed into my MS account since I installed Win10. But youre right. How does it know. You cant sign into an MS acct during the upgrade, because you cant get online.

wainuitech
01-08-2015, 11:22 AM
That's interesting. If I format my hdd and perform clean install then how the heck Win 10 knows I have license for it from previous upgrade since there is nothing on a clean hdd to verify? Its quite simple. Its got nothing to do with a MS Account.

Once you have upgraded from a previous install (from W7 or8.1) during the upgrade that you do while in windows, W10 records your motherboard code and stores it on their servers.

Lets say you put in a new HDD, you do a fresh install of W10, at the point it asks for a key, select Skip - while its installing as long as you are connected to the internet, it will go look for the previous stored motherboard code on MS's servers, as long as it finds it - it will automatically activate.

If you install W10 and not connected to the internet then it wont activate until later as its still looking for that code.

Microsoft are using generic keys to activate, its the hardware that's registered. Use a key finder and search Google, you'll see thousands of people have the same key. Think of it as KMS licensing.

If your motherboard dies, you replace it - and you try to do a fresh install of W10 -- Then you'll need to purchase a new copy/License. Once the motherboard dies so does your license.
Look at it like MS are enforcing the OEM licensing now.

You may ring MS and try to explain whats happened but no idea what they will do, they may simply say tough luck.

The big questions asked on insider are what hardware changes will cause the activation to become invalid, what can you change. The biggest change is the Motherboard as thats whats registered.

learning
01-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I wasn't aware of the motherboard code recording!!

bk T
01-08-2015, 01:26 PM
What happens if you have to change the Motherboard, and you have a retail copy of Win7 or Win8? This upgrade offer is only for 1 year from 29th July, 2015. You can still install Win7 or Win8 first and then do the upgrade within 1 year from 29th July 2015. After one year? No one knows.

Terry Porritt
01-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Incidentally, windows.old file can be deleted easily using the disk cleanup tool, and clicking on Cleanup system files.

learning
01-08-2015, 07:57 PM
I was able to successfully perform a clean install after upgrading to Win 10 first

I upgraded from Win 7 Ult to Win 10 Pro using the MS Win
During upgrade, I select "Nothing" (you don't have to if you want to keep data) under "Change what to keep"

This wiped away all my Win 7 user profiles and programs.

After install completed and booted up I had a fresh copy of Windows along with new profiles
in place.

However there was a "Windows.old" folder still on the root drive using about 8Gb.
This had my previous OS files and user profiles. This is there incase I need to revert back to Win 7.

You can delete this folder using disk cleanup and you have a pretty much fresh copy of Win 10 in place.
However since I suffer from OCD :lol:, I had to format the hdd for clean install.

So i created a bootable USB Win10 from the Windows 10 upgrade tool that i used initially to upgrade.

Performed a boot up from USB stick, wiped hdd and installed Win 10. It automatically activated
once it was on the internet. Looks like, it compares the hash value of my PC hardware components to the one it had stored
on MS servers during my initial upgrade to verify my license.

Life is good now :D

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I did the same thing selected nothing. The windows.old folder was there too. But it didnt appear under disk cleanup and I couldnt delete it <- And I didnt want it

So I did a clean install after that. Took forever for it to decide whether to activate tho. BUT, in the end it did after I clicked on Go to Store

mzee
01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
If I have a problem deleting filed in Windows I just fire it up with Puppy Linux. Linux just loves removing Windows files :)
I also use Linux to partition my drive.

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Too much work :D

pctek
02-08-2015, 09:30 AM
never done any upgrade versions...but I'd be wary - what about drivers? Windows likes to think it knows what it's doing but sadly frequently doesn't.
Checking my MB, no drivers for Win 8, never mind 10.

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Didnt have any drivers for this either. The ASUS site only goes to 8 drivers. But Win10 installed the LAN and audio. The only thing I updated were the SATA drivers. Windows 8 drivers worked fine.

There were updated video drivers for the card in this too. Too bad the TPlink drivers didnt stick tho. Have to wait for TPlink to update their drivers, so dual band works

pctek
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Didnt have any drivers for this either. The only thing I updated were the SATA drivers. Windows 8 drivers worked fine.

No Win8 drivers for my MB.....however my brother has succeeded, so he says, his MB is about as old as mine.
I gave it a go, SP1, then the install file....and got Something Happened".

LOL, haven't checked the HDD for, oh, about 4 years...it's a wee bit full. Bigger one on order now.

Naturally I imaged the partition first, if it all goes wrong and I can revert back.....
Really haven't got the money to upgrade the hardware now.

linw
03-08-2015, 12:51 PM
I've upgraded at least 5 comps with no trouble but got your 'Something Happened' error while trying to upgrade a friend's comp from win 7 using the download from MS method.

After some googling I eventually got it going. Get into Regional settings and under the Administrative tab, change the locale to US. (Don't forget to change it back to NZ afterwards!).

No idea how this only affected one comp so far but it is worth a try.

BBCmicro
04-08-2015, 10:27 AM
If your motherboard dies, you replace it - and you try to do a fresh install of W10 -- Then you'll need to purchase a new copy/License. Once the motherboard dies so does your license.
Look at it like MS are enforcing the OEM licensing now

So somebody planning on upgrading to Skylake might want to hold off moving to 10?

Maybe MS won't start enforcing the rule for a year or so...