PDA

View Full Version : Create a Second boot device

AppleFan
30-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Hey since windows 10 is coming i currently have windows 7 and want to create a second boot device . Im planning to copy my windows 7 os and put that as my seconds os . Then the main one will have Windows 10 . I do have external hard drive but i need to know how to capture it and put it in there windows 7 .

Can anyone tell me how to capture it and how to create a second boot device .

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2015, 09:13 PM
And what are you using ? A mac or windows based desktop?

Probably need something to clone or image that windows 7. It may or may not work if you copy it. How are you going to get windows 10?

AppleFan
30-07-2015, 10:33 PM
And what are you using ? A mac or windows based desktop?

Probably need something to clone or image that windows 7. It may or may not work if you copy it. How are you going to get windows 10?

Hey Speedy , got a windows 7 . Yes cloning or imaging is what im looking at . I have got the windows icon which i got by windows update telling me i can update to windows 10 for free . So now i want to do this before it comes out .

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Have no idea idea what you can use I think there's a few free backup programs somewhere. Altho I think you can upgrade Win7, and roll back to Win7 within a mth.

If you dont like Win10

BUT, I've seen on some sites, some people say this option doesnt always work. Some said it said files were missing or something, when they tried to roll back to Win7 or 8

You may as well get the tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)and let it create an ISO if you havent received it yet

Thats what I did. I got the icon but the files for Win 10 never downloaded

I used the tool instead, let it create the ISO then I booted from it

I'm using Win10 on this at the mo

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2015, 10:42 AM
One site says you cant dual boot an upgrade. This is what youre trying to do

31-07-2015, 10:49 AM
1 easyish method

Add 2nd hard drive
Clone Win7 to 2nd HD.Now unplug it.
Load 10 on 1st HD.
Need win 7 again, unplug 1st HD & PC will boot from win7 2nd HD

harder method.
Single hard drive
partition the hard drive in 2, setup a dual boot system where you pick if you want win7 or Win10
be prepared to put in a lot of time & effort just to get this working.
I wouldnt bother

or, sensible option
make a disk image/full system backup with Win7's excellent but hard to find bare metal backup/system image tool
Dont like 10, then re-image from your Win7 backup (or just reload 7)

AppleFan
02-08-2015, 12:47 AM
One site says you cant dual boot an upgrade. This is what youre trying to do

Thanks speedy , i found people saying windows 10 when you upgrade , it gives you driver issue .

As you said it gave you issues im a bit worried because my laptop i purchased came with windows 7 installed so i didnt buy it .
So if anything happens then i would be more worried .

AppleFan
02-08-2015, 12:57 AM
1 easyish method

Add 2nd hard drive
Clone Win7 to 2nd HD.Now unplug it.
Load 10 on 1st HD.
Need win 7 again, unplug 1st HD & PC will boot from win7 2nd HD

harder method.
Single hard drive
partition the hard drive in 2, setup a dual boot system where you pick if you want win7 or Win10
be prepared to put in a lot of time & effort just to get this working.
I wouldnt bother

or, sensible option
make a disk image/full system backup with Win7's excellent but hard to find bare metal backup/system image tool
Dont like 10, then re-image from your Win7 backup (or just reload 7)

1101 , i will try the easy method u shown .

Can u recommend me a free cloning software .

Thanks

gary67
02-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Not free but download Active@ trial version make a boot disc on a flash drive (this will be fully functional) and works even when the downloaded trial runs out. Boot off the flash drive do your clone.

nmercer
02-08-2015, 10:36 AM
just upgrade from Win7 to Win10, if you don't like it or your stuff doesn't work you can rollback to Win7

do you really want to do all this mucking around just to be able to dual boot?

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks speedy , i found people saying windows 10 when you upgrade , it gives you driver issue .

As you said it gave you issues im a bit worried because my laptop i purchased came with windows 7 installed so i didnt buy it .
So if anything happens then i would be more worried .

It worked here but I couldnt activate it. BUT thats fixed now it did activate in the end