PDA

View Full Version : GPU-Z question

BrotherDragon
28-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Just downloaded GPU-Z 0.8.4. Want to run ASIC quality but don't know how or what ASIC actually means. Thanks.

pctek
28-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Application-specific integrated circuit
The technical explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit

The short explanation:
A specific chip like your GPU.

BrotherDragon
28-07-2015, 09:48 AM
But how do I accesses the ASIC quality test that is somewhere I don't know on GPU-Z?

BBCmicro
28-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Do you mean the blue question mark? (right of bus interface)

bevy121
28-07-2015, 11:02 PM
try a right click on the top left area of the GPU-Z gui - I think the menu has a function "Read ASIC Quality"

BBCmicro
29-07-2015, 09:01 AM
try a right click on the top left area of the GPU-Z gui - I think the menu has a function "Read ASIC Quality"

Yes - thanks for that.

My GTX 970 is 73.1%

However, it seems to me it's only reading the specs of the card and comparing with an average - not doing anything of substance

(The bus configuration test claims not to be a stress test but it loads my GPU above 90%.)

dugimodo
29-07-2015, 09:21 AM
What functionality is it you are trying to test? There are probably other tools around.
I only use CPU-Z & GPU-Z to identify the CPU/GPU and clock speeds. I use other tools to stress test or monitor temperatures.

For example I use furmark and speccy to stress test & monitor my graphics card, prime95 for the CPU, and memtest for the RAM. When I build a new PC to really stress it out I run furmark and prime95 and speccy all at the same time, a load I never expect the PC to ever repeat in normal usage. If a hardware manufacturer supplies their own monitoring software I will use that on the theory it's less likely to misread the sensors (some programs give weird impossible numbers with some sensors).

BBCmicro
29-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Who needs Prime95 when routine software does it for you ;)

The screenshot shows 100% CPU activity on all 4 cores. I can't picture how Prime95 could stress the CPU more than that?

(The particular application is reSpeedR for straightening videos - reducing camera shake. I have the paid version but the free one is identical except it puts a couple of logos on the screen. Even with the logos on the screen, the result is far better than not straightening. I highly recommend it for cellphone videos and similar. But you need a good CPU.)