PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop doublespace in Office 2003

21-07-2015, 03:10 PM
How do I completely stop the dreaded doublespace in Office 2003

Ive turned it off in Word, but it still occasionally pops up in Outlook

Occasionally, when copy & pasting from various sources ,into a new outlook email, it would paste in Doublespaced (pasting the same into Word isnt doublespaced)
To get around this, Ive been resorting to patring into notepad, the copy/pasting from notepad to Outlook .

Pasting info into Outlook contacts is the worst , it usually doublespaces .
:badpc:

Kame
21-07-2015, 09:05 PM
What do you mean by double space?

Anyways my guess is you're copying UTF-8 encoded text over to a program set to another incompatible encoding. You should make sure all applications use UTF-8 for better compatibility, I think Windows has it's own encoding based on ISO-885x (going off memory, and its been ages since i've used that encoding).

Have a look in font or text settings for the application and set your preferred encoding to UTF-8, you should use this with all applications, so even doing it for your browser, shouldnt do you any harm.

Another guess, but I would say this is double newlines, is incompatible line endings, one program uses both line endings, carriage return (CR) and line feed (LF), while the other only uses one to suggest a line has ended but understands the other character as just as another line (but not end of the line). This way you normally get to the end of a paragraph and an extra line is added.

What I suggest however, is email yourself how it was pasted if its an extra line feed. I believe most email clients if mail is sent in plain text automatically removes additional line feeds. If it comes back all good, i would not worry about it, but if you do think you should, then you'll need to look at how line feeds are handle, usually a CrLf line ending is the most compatible because even if you use either character on its own, it still understands it. I think what made this a problem, Windows used one of those characters and Mac used the other, but Mac has shifted to both characters, while Windows stays with their own.

Cheers,

KK

22-07-2015, 10:48 AM
What do you mean by double space?

this is an example of double space

there is a gap between lines of txt that cant be removed.

Its a known issue, ms would call it a feature

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/microsoft-office-give-such-hard-time-spacing-30694.html

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/messages-are-double-spaced/

Some Installs of word(2007 ?) automaticly doublespaced lines of txt, & would have to be manually disabled .

Its really only an issue for me copy & pasting into Outlook(very rarely doublespaces) & Outlook contact info(often doublespaces)

zqwerty
22-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Ctrl+1 is Single space,

Ctrl+2 is Double space in Word 2003 anyway.

Highlight offending text and use the keys above to correct.