PDA

View Full Version : Do I need/should i partition my hard drive?

charliecat
21-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi in my computer I have 3 hard drives: C drive, E drive and G drive.

Why? because I had the space, and the drives, and because my brother put them in not me.

If I leave C drive just for the operating system, and the E,G drives for the documents, photos, music, etc is there a reason why I should do a partition on C drive?

Ps I will not be having more than one OS on/in my computer

21-07-2015, 12:04 PM
"is there a reason why I should do a partition on C drive?"

You question doesnt make alot of sense .
C is a partition name .

Keep it simple is the best way. It the other 2 hard drives are old or small, just remove them.
3 drives : 3 partitions . Thats the simplest way . ie dont split/repartition the 'C:'

charliecat
21-07-2015, 12:24 PM
I admit I am not tech savy, and I have heard that it is safer to have a partition on the C drive, and I could understand if that was my only drive but as i have 3 physical drives C at 232GB, E drive at 279GB, and G drive at 76.3GB

I am just thinking about spring cleaning as it were for the windows 10 install.

beama
21-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Theres an old saying, "if it isnt broke dont fix it" this is especially true if you dont know how to fix it in the first place, it will most likely be broke after you fix it in this case.

also going by the drive spec's size I would say its not worth partitioning.

21-07-2015, 01:45 PM
......I have heard that it is safer to have a partition on the C drive

that actually causes alot of issues with not so tech savvy users. Some laptops used to come with the single HD split in 2, C: would get full, D: would stay empty .

What happens is that after partitioning, C: is too small, programs get loaded onto C , data gets saved to C , C runs out of HD space & the PC stops working correctly
If there is an issue with the drive , having a 2nd partition doesnt really help: all your data is backed up anyway, right ;)

But in your case, the 2 other HD's serve the same purpose as spliting the C:

dugimodo
21-07-2015, 01:47 PM
It used to be common to have a smaller partition for the OS to make it easier to manage for backups etc and because it's considered good practice not to store all your files on the same partiton as your OS. The trouble is that means guessing how much space you will ever need on the C:\ drive and having to deal with it if you guess wrong.

From a normal usage point of view it's far simpler to have a single partition for your main hard drive (well not counting hidden system partitions some versions of windows create). That way you are less likely to suddenly run out of space when you try to install or save something.

To answer your question No you don't need to and no you probably shouldn't. The only reason I'd consider partitioning the C:\ drive on your system is if you do regular backups and want to keep the size to a manageable limit. I suspect that's not the case here. Make sure to keep 2 copies of anything really important on 2 different drives (preferably not in the same PC) and don't worry too much about it. Like Beama said, "if it ain't broke..."

Nick G
21-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Taking a punt, I would guess there is only one physical drive, a 640gb one. In which case, C, E, and G are all partitions of the one physical drive. I'd leave it how it is, if you're not careful messing around with drive partitions can end badly.

pctek
21-07-2015, 02:29 PM
If I leave C drive just for the operating system, and the E,G drives for the documents, photos, music, etc is there a reason why I should do a partition on C drive?

r

No.
Just make sure the image and data backups are also store on another drive not attached to the PC as well.

Agent_24
31-07-2015, 12:49 PM
It used to be common to have a smaller partition for the OS to make it easier to manage for backups etc and because it's considered good practice not to store all your files on the same partiton as your OS. The trouble is that means guessing how much space you will ever need on the C:\ drive and having to deal with it if you guess wrong.

From a normal usage point of view it's far simpler to have a single partition for your main hard drive (well not counting hidden system partitions some versions of windows create). That way you are less likely to suddenly run out of space when you try to install or save something.

I find it makes more sense to have separate physical drives for OS and Documents etc, OS backup\upgrade\reinstall is easier since there is nothing on OS drive to worry about, if Documents drive runs out of space, buy a new drive, clone over to it.. can't do that with multiple partitions (well you can, but it's not as easy).