PDA

View Full Version : Help with adding a SSHD!

stuffed
17-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Hi - with my PC can anyone tell me please if I can add a SSHD without having to remove one the my existing HDDs?
Is there room to plug it in?
I have not opened the PC yet but want some guidance please of what I need to do!
The new drive has arrived without any cables or brackets. What do I need to purchase?
So you will gather that am not a PC "mechanic"!
Thanks

CPU
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 63 C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX (LGA1155)
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
HDD
250GB PLEXTOR PX-256M2S ATA Device (SATA)
1954GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA) 19 C
1954GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA)

inphinity
17-07-2015, 04:43 PM
There will be spare SATA ports (the P8Z68-V LX has 6, and based on your post you only have 3 SATA devices connected), but whether there are spare power connectors, or a drive bay to place it in, will depend on your PSU & case.

dugimodo
17-07-2015, 05:02 PM
You will need a SATA cable and maybe 4 screws depending on how your case mounts hard drives. You will also need to take the side of and check that there is physical space for another drive and a power connector that will reach, you should be able to tell easily enough by looking at what's there. Avoid jamming hard drives right up against each other if possible as that can cause heating issues.

Any computer shop should have the screws if you need them, stealing one from each of your existing drives can work too providing they are still secure afterwards - there are 4 screws generally but in a pinch 2-3 screws will do.

edit: don't forget when you add it you'll need to go to disk management and partition it before it'll show up in the system.

gary67
17-07-2015, 08:09 PM
You will need a SATA cable and maybe 4 screws depending on how your case mounts hard drives. You will also need to take the side of and check that there is physical space for another drive and a power connector that will reach, you should be able to tell easily enough by looking at what's there. Avoid jamming hard drives right up against each other if possible as that can cause heating issues.

Any computer shop should have the screws if you need them, stealing one from each of your existing drives can work too providing they are still secure afterwards - there are 4 screws generally but in a pinch 2-3 screws will do.

edit: don't forget when you add it you'll need to go to disk management and partition it before it'll show up in the system.

My server has 2 laptop HDD's both held in with 2 screws on one side only, been running that way for close to 2 years.