PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Wireless KB & Mouse for Home Theatre

dugimodo
07-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I recently replaced a large old tower in the Lounge with an intel NUC and am happy with it's performance. However the logitech keyboard and mouse I've always used does not work well with the NUC, possibly due to it only having USB 3.0 ports and the receiver being a 2.4Ghz devices (there are known issues between USB 3 and 2.4Ghz wireless devices).

Has anyone used a NUC for this and can recommend a keyboard & mouse combo with decent range (2-3M minimum Ideally) that does workk. Especially on a USB 3.0 port.

linw
07-07-2015, 11:58 AM
You could ask the shop if it works with USB3 and get an undertaking to take it back if it doesn't. This way you will know it works on your setup, not someone elses.

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Just tried the logitech I have here (the K400R) in a USB 3 port, works fine. It doesnt use a mouse, it's a kb and touchpad

Never had a prob with using any 2.4 receiver in a USB 3 port. This is plugged into a USB 3 port . (but the mobo is only USB 2). Using an MS kb and mouse

linw
07-07-2015, 12:04 PM
FWIW, just tried my Logitech MK 250 mouse/kbd combo into my USB3 port and it works fine. Range was over 5 m.

dugimodo
07-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check model number shortly, it did work fairly well to start with but has gotten almost completely unusable since, perhaps my pairing a bluetooth device or adding a USB 3.0 external drive has made it worse. The keyboard does work better than the mouse on the same unified receiver. It's frustrating because I have it positioned in a direct line of sight about 1M in front of the NUC and it still behaves erratically. Beside the NUC at < 300mm it's perfect. (tried a new battery, no difference).

My Dinovo mini Bluetooth keyboard seems to have good range but I never really liked it, especially the trackpad function which is way too small and imprecise. I'll have to resume my search for a missing Rapoo receiver, I have another combo I haven't been able to use for a while since that disappeared.

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2015, 12:48 PM
The only prob you may have with USB 3 is if you reinstall windows 7 with a USB 3 flash drive. It may ask you for a cd for the drivers, during the setup

But this is easy for some people (you plug it into a USB 2 port instead). This maybe hard, however if there are no USB 2 ports on the system.

dugimodo
07-07-2015, 01:32 PM
It's windows 8.1 and it installed via USB DVD drive just fine. There are known problems with 2.4Ghz and USB3.0 if you haven't experienced them you are fortunate or your devices are just close enough for it to not matter.
For example I have a dual mode (Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz) wireless headset I bought for skype chatting while gaming, it works perfectly with my android phone and my tablet that only has USB 2.0 but on 3 completely different machines I tried that have USB 3.0 it has scratchy broken Audio on the left ear no matter what port you use, just having USB 3.0 in the same PC screws it up. Searching the support forums for ir finds it's a common complaint with no solution offered.

Thinking about it I'll try disabling Bluetooth on the NUC to see if that's interfering, It may not be the usb port in this particular case.

dugimodo
07-07-2015, 02:05 PM
OK so problem mostly solved. Mouse works fine as long as I don't connect the external hard drive but gets erratic as soon as I do. I guess I'll just stick to network storage for the NUC.
Range is still not great but it's good enough.

Thanks for your suggestions.

wratterus
07-07-2015, 02:28 PM
I've personally never heard of any issues with 2.4GHz receivers in USB3 ports...can you link to some info on it?

dugimodo
07-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Not so much in the ports, as in the same machine or near active ports. In my case there are only USB 3.0 ports.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp

And one that's more relevant to my specific issues today
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/136g7y/usb_30_has_been_found_to_cause_interference_that/

wratterus
07-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that, very interesting.

CYaBro
07-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Yup we see this problem all the time now with almost every new PC and a wireless desktop set.
We move the USB receiver to a short USB extension lead to get it away from the computer and then it is fine.

linw
07-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Yea, thanks for the headsup as I had never heard of that before. Could save some grief in the future.